Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

As a guitar player, yes, this playing is on another level for Slash, just like AL was when it came out. Some VERY impressive playing here. Before in GNR Slash was about taste and feel, but now he has matched that with actual chops... He can play anything and there isn't much of CD he couldn't pull off if has to play songs in the future some day save some crazy tapping or fretless. I wouldn't have said that in 2008. But from live in Stoke till now you can see Slash has been getting better and better. Live on Stoke was our first glimpse and now we are getting it in the studio as well.

As a guitar player, yes, this playing is on another level for Slash, just like AL was when it came out. Some VERY impressive playing here. Before in GNR Slash was about taste and feel, but now he has matched that with actual chops... He can play anything and there isn't much of CD he couldn't pull off if has to play songs in the future some day save some crazy tapping or fretless. I wouldn't have said that in 2008. But from live in Stoke till now you can see Slash has been getting better and better. Live on Stoke was our first glimpse and now we are getting it in the studio as well.

Very very true. Although I would argue his debut solo album is definitely a step in the direction of where he is now as well, and where it all stems from. You don't have the Anastasia or Beneath The Savage Sun type playing (maybe in Nothing To Say), but you have him tackling so many different genres and nailing ALL of them. Seriously, I think that album gets a bit lost in the fray. Maybe its that the songs have too many singers so people don't think its cohesive, but he really branches out his guitar playing there. You have gentleness with Gotten, which is definitely softer than most of his previous stuff, Nothing To Say in which he perfectly encapsulates the Avenged Sevenfold sound, Saint Is A Sinner Too with spanish guitar, to classic Slash with Back From Cali, etc. I have liked each of his albums progressively more, but let's not discount his first one. The technicality may not be there as much as on the last two, but his ability to touch all these different genres and do them so well was as much as revelation as how much better of a guitar player he has gotten.

Also, I finally figured out where I'd hear the end of Dirty Girl before. Its the chorus/outro of Beautiful Dangerous.

• Like 1

I agree on his Debut... Even on the bonus disc he rips... But he is still ripping more like he did on Snakepit and UYI's faster tracks... Nothing to Say was one I took notice of as well. That was more Zakk Wylde esque than old school Slash... That song was kind of like "oh, Slash learned some new stuff" and the solo in Starlight was less taste, but more of a show his chops off type solo too.

Also, I finally figured out where I'd hear the end of Dirty Girl before. Its the chorus/outro of Beautiful Dangerous.

"Dirty Girl" is based on an old riff from a demo of Slash (2010) ;)

I'm nitpicking. What I mean is the little part at the end of Dirty Girl (33:10 in the link below) was reminding me of something, and I finally figured out it was the part in Beautiful Dangerous (at 4:00 in the second link below):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKBe0BgLAWU

• Like 1

Battleground is a lot different to what I thought it would be. Still good though.

Only listened to the album once so far, but I agree. I didn't even think it was a close call, tbh.

How do you like the album after the first listen?

There are a few cool solos, a few decent riffs, and I think Battleground, overall, is an impressive song, even though it has s shit moment or two - like when Myles actually sings the word 'battleground' - but I find the album pretty boring and... here comes that word... generic. Not the kind of music I listen to regularly at all. I put it on again last night but only got through about 3 songs before I got tired of it and shut it off.

• Like 1

"Dirty Girl" is based on an old riff from a demo of Slash (2010) ;)

I'm nitpicking. What I mean is the little part at the end of Dirty Girl (33:10 in the link below) was reminding me of something, and I finally figured out it was the part in Beautiful Dangerous (at 4:00 in the second link below):

Haha yes thats undeniable

I hear it! Although Dirty Girl is so much better, imo :P

I hear it! Although Dirty Girl is so much better, imo :P

I love Beautiful Dangerous! But Dirty Girl is very good as well. Grew on me.

And here's my thought about Safari Inn now that I'm hearing it in the context of the album: Slash offers up riff after riff on this album, and some amazingly done songs, and at the end of it, Safari Inn is him up on a mountain just playing and playing and blasting away as a note to say "hey fuckers, I still got it and there's more to come." Maybe I'm overcome with emotion right now and I'm being overdramatic, but I just blasted Safari with headphones and its just stellar. I've always liked those instrumentals, so I guess if you never have it makes sense you don't. But I love just hearing him playing away, making it sound so easy, and giving that sound that only he can.

Then he burns a house down with The Unholy. This is a really great album.

Edited by gunsfanoldie

If this album would be released by a "no name" bands I guess no one would care about it..

I'd probably be like: "Damn, these guys sound a LOT like Myles and Slash, only better" ;)

I'm pretty sure I'd still care about it, especially with songs like The Unholy and Wicked Stone on there.

Alright I'm just getting through my second listen now, so my full review will come later.

First things to note, like others said, this isn't really AL 2.0. The music is a lot more intricate, the band is playing like a band, and not a solo project. I don't know what to call it, but there's a sort of "dark rock" meshed with the normal Slash "hard rock" on this record, it's not doom, or grunge, or metal either - I don't know what to call it. It's an interesting combo. I will say on my first listen, I got bored by about song 12-13, but I was driving so that may be a factor. I did not like AL on my first listen at all, took about a month to get into it; not sure what the process with WOF will be.

Slash has really kicked it up a notch (:P) with his technical playing, especially exploring abnormal scales. Looking forward to getting to know this album over the next few days.