Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

Cornell trying to sing YCBM or WTTJ.... Don't think he could. I love Cornell, and though can scream high notes I don't think his voice could handle that.

Myles can't really handle it either. I don't think anyone can do it justice other then Axl. (or could) His voice is just too unique to copy faithfully. At least Cornell's voice has the growl. Maybe too much of it these days, but even still.

I guess I'm not really talking about replacing Myles, just doing a side project with Cornell. It just seems to be a good idea for them to collaborate on...anything. I don't want to hear Cornell sing Gn'R, or anyone other then Axl for that matter. But something totally fresh and new can be killer. They could at least try.

Edited by Rovim

This album is really fun to listen to. Worst thing about it for me is the lyrics. Best thing about it is Slash's steller guitar work. If they can develop their sound and streamline it to something more focused, take more time to write and record it, say...3 years, and Myles actually taking the time to dig deep inside himself and write lyrics that actually mean something and don't suck (for the most part) they can like..idk...come up with a modern Rocks. Wouldn't that be cool?

I'm not a fan of the Myles/Slash thing, but I have to admit: I'm getting used to Myles in this band. They do have chemistry. Mullet chemistry I would call it, but there is something that clicks in this album for me and I hate AL (other then the great Anastasia)

With Elvis keeping it suicidal, and the undeniable force of Brent and Todd, and an INSPIRED Slash, they can do a Rocks/Appetite hybrid if they really go for it. World On Fire was recorded in 2 weeks. 17 songs. That's impressive, and it makes me ask myself what they can do if they take more time to develop the material, with good lyrics, and only AAA riffs and solos from Slash. Cause it's not like he can't write 'em. He just doesn't release all of his best riffs and solos on the same albums and that's because he releases an album every 2 years.

If he waits a little longer, it will give him time to come up with new ideas on top of riffs he's already written. Same with solos. The rest of the band will have more time to come up with better constructed ideas as well. They have tons of energy as a group. That's what defines The Conspirators for me.

Edited by Rovim

well the album was recorded in 2 weeks but material was played and played again during like 6 months + Soundchecks on Tour. Major parts of WOF was written on the road.
To me, 17 songs is too damn much. Yes, better focus on 12 solid ones rather then 17 songs not so strong.

but hey WICKED STONE ! :headbang:

This album is really fun to listen to. Worst thing about it for me is the lyrics. Best thing about it is Slash's steller guitar work. If they can develop their sound and streamline it to something more focused, take more time to write and record it, say...3 years, and Myles actually taking the time to dig deep inside himself and write lyrics that actually mean something and don't suck (for the most part) they can like..idk...come up with a modern Rocks. Wouldn't that be cool?

I'm not a fan of the Myles/Slash thing, but I have to admit: I'm getting used to Myles in this band. They do have chemistry. Mullet chemistry I would call it, but there is something that clicks in this album for me and I hate AL (other then the great Anastasia)

With Elvis keeping it suicidal, and the undeniable force of Brent and Todd, and an INSPIRED Slash, they can do a Rocks/Appetite hybrid if they really go for it. World On Fire was recorded in 2 weeks. 17 songs. That's impressive, and it makes me ask myself what they can do if they take more time to develop the material, with good lyrics, and only AAA riffs and solos from Slash. Cause it's not like he can't write 'em. He just doesn't release all of his best riffs and solos on the same albums and that's because he releases an album every 2 years.

If he waits a little longer, it will give him time to come up with new ideas on top of riffs he's already written. Same with solos. The rest of the band will have more time to come up with better constructed ideas as well. They have tons of energy as a group. That's what defines The Conspirators for me.

AMEN

There's no place for music video anymore, i mean for an artist like Slash, he prefers to focus on medias like internet because he knows songs won't be played on MTV between Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus ! Lol

But who knows ? Maybe we will get some good music videos for this album....

Edited by Slash2baz

There's no place for music video anymore, i mean for an artist like Slash, he prefers to focus on medias like internet because he knows songs won't be played on MTV between Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus ! Lol

Well there was that ridiculous video for WOF......

Well there was that ridiculous video for WOF......

Yeah that's why he' been in that direction. I thought ok that's bad but it's only a lyric video until the day i learnt that the video will be the only one for the first single,.... I had that facepalm reaction lol

So the lyric video buzzed on the internet but not for the right reason (quality of the music) lol

Love the riff in Dissident... sick tone in the opening there. That chorus is pretty painful though.... maybe it's just me.

That reminds me: I think the sing along ready choruses limit what the band can achieve. Why do so many choruses have to be that way? It takes away from the song at times, and it kinda cuts off the natural direction of some songs where Myles just kinda...idk, finds a chorus that works and you go: "ok yeah it belongs here, but could have been better". It's as if they sacrifice (Slash or Myles) melody for energy. Not on every song, and not to always an extreme extent, but in a song like Withered Delilah for example, the chorus is too by the book, or idk... doesn't really push the song forward like the verse that came before asked.

In other songs, the choruses are fine though. Like in Wicked Stone for example. (imo)

Maybe that's where Slash's weakness shows: comes up with great riffs and capable of doing great solos, but his approach to writing is limited, especially when it comes to choruses. (sometimes) it's not really as interesting as the riff or the verse that came before it. I understand it needs to be more basic if your goal is to make it catchy, which I think is Slash's goal in many of the songs he writes instrumentally, but think outside of the box a little. (only talking about choruses in this post) Myles too.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

This album is gonna take some serious time to grow on me, so far I'm loving Battleground tho. Fantastic song. I'm actually getting use Myles as well with Slash and agree with them needing to take more time to write better material. They're all completely capable and terrific musicians. I hope they take their time with the next one and let the ideas stew in their heads for a while.

Cornell trying to sing YCBM or WTTJ.... Don't think he could. I love Cornell, and though can scream high notes I don't think his voice could handle that.

Myles can't really handle it either. I don't think anyone can do it justice other then Axl. (or could) His voice is just too unique to copy faithfully. At least Cornell's voice has the growl. Maybe too much of it these days, but even still.

I guess I'm not really talking about replacing Myles, just doing a side project with Cornell. It just seems to be a good idea for them to collaborate on...anything. I don't want to hear Cornell sing Gn'R, or anyone other then Axl for that matter. But something totally fresh and new can be killer. They could at least try.

Axl can't do that growl anymore and you know it. The growl/rasp is gone. People have to get over it. And Cornell never really did it for me, not to take away from his obvious ability but I never saw him live.

Really gotta disagree here. You can't assign any arbitrary time period(like 3 years in this case) and assume any art will be better for it. It's done when it's done and if that's 1 year, 2 yrs or 3yrs, whatever it takes. 2 years for a new record used to be the norm and some of the best albums ever were knocked out in 1 year. The hardest part for most creative people is knowing when something is done because theoretically you could continue working on it forever with the belief that you can only make it better. When in fact much of the time all the continued tinkering and re-working only ends up harming the "finished" product. With writing, it's bursts of inspiration where the majority of best ideas come in a rush over a surprisingly few number of days. The other days, not much. So whose to say giving it more time just to give it more time is gonna be worth the investment when you could be spending that time on fresh material?

Shit, I'm blown away by the quality and diversity of this album and personally find the songwriting and especially the lyrics far superior to CD. Not to get into an Axl vs. Slash shitfest, but proves the point that time isn't what determines quality and at some point it gets to be diminishing returns.

Plus, Slash is storing away unused riffs all the time like the 1 in Shadow Life(and FTP) and continuing to work on it as he finds new places for it. That's pretty much his life...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

I agree with Rovim in the sense that I find a lot of the chorses and pre-choruses to pretty "obvious." Like... you know exactly how it's gonna play out. Same kind of descending ascending power chord stuff used in a lot of them kind of speaks to not enough time in the oven, so to speak. That said, more time might not have made it any better. Instead, a more collaborative songwriting team would have probably infused the songs with more variety in a similar time-span. Not that it's as easy as it may sound.

Aka a really long-winded way of saying I would kill for him and Izzy to be joined at the hip, haha.

Edited by Ant

Really gotta disagree here. You can't assign any arbitrary time period(like 3 years in this case) and assume any art will be better for it. It's done when it's done and if that's 1 year, 2 yrs or 3yrs, whatever it takes. 2 years for a new record used to be the norm and some of the best albums ever were knocked out in 1 year. The hardest part for most creative people is knowing when something is done because theoretically you could continue working on it forever with the belief that you can only make it better. When in fact much of the time all the continued tinkering and re-working only ends up harming the "finished" product. With writing, it's bursts of inspiration where the majority of best ideas come in a rush over a surprisingly few number of days. The other days, not much. So whose to say giving it more time just to give it more time is gonna be worth the investment when you could be spending that time on fresh material?

Shit, I'm blown away by the quality and diversity of this album and personally find the songwriting and lyrics far superior to CD. Not to get into an Axl vs. Slash shitfest, but proves the point that time isn't what determines quality and at some point it gets to be diminishing returns.

Plus, Slash is storing away unused riffs all the time like the 1 in Shadow Life(and FTP) and continuing to work on it as he finds new places for it. That's pretty much his life...

First of all, sure I can: a lot of Slash's ideas sometimes feel undercooked to me. AL felt undercooked, and a lot of it's solos, thrown together hastingly. Slash said Elvis made him work harder on his solos for World On Fire and you can hear it imo.

SecondIy, I assume it will benefit the quality of the music because Slash said in a recent interview that he has the general idea of a solo after one or two takes mostly, but after playing it 80 times (or whatever the fuck) cause Elvis made him do it (lol) suddenly new ideas, notes, and directions came to him and the solos improved.

You can write in an improvised way, and come back to it later, even a year later and you'll potentially have something much better. It's like how many guitar players, Slash too, play songs from their albums live years after they were already released: Like how Slash played Patience in Oklahoma 1992, or Nightrain in Argentina 1993. Same principals apply for songwriting. It's not a rule you must follow, but I think Slash is too anxious to get on with it and tour the motherfucker, that he doesn't really give his ideas enough time to ripen.

And just as it is hard to know when it's done, sometimes, for some musicians, it's hard for them to keep at it until it's as good as it can possibly be. There's a delicate balance there. As a musician, you need to develop the feel for it. To know when to let go, but also not to let go too early. Know what I mean?

I think the lyrics in World On Fire are horrid for the most part. Just awful. Some are alright, but they're mostly silly with no emotional weight or meaning. Myles can probably do better. Wrote better lyrics in Alter Bridge.

I think Slash should maybe wait a little longer between releases. Storing away riffs works for him it seems, and many guitarists do it, but perhaps it will be a good idea to just write for a few years and develop the riffs, write and build the songs with the band and take his sweet time so he gets it just right.

That way, we won't have one song like Anastasia on one album, and a song like By The Sword on another. We'll have one album with only AAA material, and I trust Slash to make it sound cohesive. I just want him to get a little more ambitious. I like World On Fire. I think Elvis influenced Slash in a positive way. I think he needs to be pushed even more, or to push himself a little. Can't hurt.

2 albums under their belt. Maybe Slash and The Conspirators can create something even better then World On Fire with the right approach. It's just a suggestion. I'm pretty satisfied with what we've got, all things considered. I just think there is potential here for something greater in the future with enough time to write and record the ideas and take them as far as possible.

Edited by Rovim

I agree with Rovim in the sense that I find a lot of the chorses and pre-choruses to pretty "obvious." Like... you know exactly how it's gonna play out. Same kind of descending ascending power chord stuff used in a lot of them kind of speaks to not enough time in the oven, so to speak. That said, more time might not have made it any better. Instead, a more collaborative songwriting team would have probably infused the songs with more variety in a similar time-span. Not that it's as easy as it may sound.

Aka a really long-winded way of saying I would kill for him and Izzy to be joined at the hip, haha.

A Myles chorus will be a Myles chorus and may or may not improve with more time. As you say, changing or adding in some additional collaborators is likely to make a bigger change if that's what you're after.

I would've agreed after AL that several of Myles chorus' were underwhelming(No More Heroes!!), but on this record I love the vast majority of his chorus'. Blasting Too Far Gone at the moment, so no complaints there!! There's only a few tracks here I feel that way on, most notably Iris of the Storm, but I'd probably feel that way about a couple songs on almost any record.

Myles kills it overall on this thing, no complaints...