Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

1 hour ago, Babooshka said:

The only song I don't really like is Shadow Life.

There's a few songs that have a sense of longing. Iris is one and it does have that epic feel.

Wow really? Shadow Life is probably my favourite song on the album!

I really love the verses in that song too! The intro is also great, I really like Myles vocals and lyrics on that tune too!

• Like 1

On 23.2.2016 at 11:39 PM, youngswedishvinyl said:

Wow really? Shadow Life is probably my favourite song on the album!

I really love the verses in that song too! The intro is also great, I really like Myles vocals and lyrics on that tune too!

And so the cycle continues, because Dirty Girl is my favourite slash riff ever, lol

• 3 weeks later...

Not a bad little album all in all. I've hardly played it since it first came out though, just because I haven't really been in the place for Slash. But songs like The Unholy, Beneath The Savage Sun, 30 Years To Life, Battleground and that one with the really cool GNR-Locomotive-esque riff near the beginning of the album (name escapes me) are all stellar tracks.

4 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Not a bad little album all in all. I've hardly played it since it first came out though, just because I haven't really been in the place for Slash. But songs like The Unholy, Beneath The Savage Sun, 30 Years To Life, Battleground and that one with the really cool GNR-Locomotive-esque riff near the beginning of the album (name escapes me) are all stellar tracks.

Wicked Stone?

I do think its more than a not "bad little album" but I agree I do tend to listen to them less. I don't put them on as much as Illusion, Appetite, etc. But I think thats just cause I get so obsessed with them when they come out I rarely revisit it. I LOVED Apocalyptic Love, still do. Can't tell you the last time I played it. Heard World On Fire for the first time in a long time recently and was blown away by how great it was. Slash's albums more than most I seem to love but rarely revisit for some odd reason, and my guess would just be that I play them to DEATH when they initially come out/when I see him all the time on tour.

6 hours ago, gunsfanoldie said:

Wicked Stone?

I do think its more than a not "bad little album" but I agree I do tend to listen to them less. I don't put them on as much as Illusion, Appetite, etc. But I think thats just cause I get so obsessed with them when they come out I rarely revisit it. I LOVED Apocalyptic Love, still do. Can't tell you the last time I played it. Heard World On Fire for the first time in a long time recently and was blown away by how great it was. Slash's albums more than most I seem to love but rarely revisit for some odd reason, and my guess would just be that I play them to DEATH when they initially come out/when I see him all the time on tour.

Yeah, Wicked Stone, that's the one I meant.

I didn't mean it to come across belittling when I said "not a bad little album", I guess I just don't really rate Slash's albums as a whole, more individual tracks. His albums are always worth buying, because there will always be a good 5-8 songs that I'll dig, but I find the rest tend to be padding and filler. I do think WOF was a step up from AL, but his best was the album with the guest singers. At the end of the day, Myles is too one dimensional to deliver a truly great album imo. Slash is a much better guitarist than Myles is a singer/songwriter unfortunately.

15 hours ago, Towelie said:

At the end of the day, Myles is too one dimensional to deliver a truly great album imo. Slash is a much better guitarist than Myles is a singer/songwriter unfortunately.

In fairness to Myles, Slash writes A LOT of stuff so its understandable Myles just can't keep up. And I agree it kind of makes the whole album suffer, cause now instead of getting great songwriting for like 10 songs, we get sub par writing for about 18.

It always sounds like I'm knocking Myles even though I don't mean to. I really love the guy, and everyone in Slash's band. I think its a killer fucking band. Myles is great but also so clearly the weak link. Kerns is just always amazing and Fitz is on fire constantly. Myles, I personally have no issues with him but I've always understood the criticism (and I say that because I know some people who truly don't). His songwriting is nothing spectacular. It never has been. For what its worth, I didn't love Scott Weiland's songwriting in VR either, but there was something a bit different about it. Myles really is as generic as it comes. Not that I think it makes the songs THAT much worse, but it prevents them from being amazing. I also completely understand why people don't like the whiney voice, which again I do not mind but admit it is there.

But I think a lot of credit also has to be given to Myles. He's juggling two bands, like I've said Slash writes A LOT of material, Myles has always said a "frontman" is not what envisions himself to be, so it explains his rather generic stage presence (I didn't realize until I saw them open for Aerosmith in arenas that "oh, he CAN'T really hold a crowd like that". He's much better in a club/theater.). There's a lot that's kind of a compromise, which I'm not sure if it hurts the band but I feel can't go unnoticed. Even with all of it, he seems like the nicest fucking guy out there right now, I think he sings great, he has great consistency, I love that band so much. I think it will always kind of prevent "masterpieces" that Slash is probably capable of, almost all of it gets the job done for me.

Anyway, just some musings about the band lol.

Edited by gunsfanoldie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gunsfanoldie said:

In fairness to Myles, Slash writes A LOT of stuff so its understandable Myles just can't keep up. And I agree it kind of makes the whole album suffer, cause now instead of getting great songwriting for like 10 songs, we get sub par writing for about 18.

It always sounds like I'm knocking Myles even though I don't mean to. I really love the guy, and everyone in Slash's band. I think its a killer fucking band. Myles is great but also so clearly the weak link. Kerns is just always amazing and Fitz is on fire constantly. Myles, I personally have no issues with him but I've always understood the criticism (and I say that because I know some people who truly don't). His songwriting is nothing spectacular. It never has been. For what its worth, I didn't love Scott Weiland's songwriting in VR either, but there was something a bit different about it. Myles really is as generic as it comes. Not that I think it makes the songs THAT much worse, but it prevents them from being amazing. I also completely understand why people don't like the whiney voice, which again I do not mind but admit it is there.

But I think a lot of credit also has to be given to Myles. He's juggling two bands, like I've said Slash writes A LOT of material, Myles has always said a "frontman" is not what envisions himself to be, so it explains his rather generic stage presence (I didn't realize until I saw them open for Aerosmith in arenas that "oh, he CAN'T really hold a crowd like that". He's much better in a club/theater.). There's a lot that's kind of a compromise, which I'm not sure if it hurts the band but I feel can't go unnoticed. Even with all of it, he seems like the nicest fucking guy out there right now, I think he sings great, he has great consistency, I love that band so much. I think it will always kind of prevent "masterpieces" that Slash is probably capable of, almost all of it gets the job done for me.

Anyway, just some musings about the band lol.

Yeah, I'd say that was pretty much exactly how I feel about SMKC. For the record, I don't dislike Myles. I even own a few Alter Bridge albums (who I think suit Myles a lot better). He does have a good voice and is a pretty decent guitarist in his own right. Unfortunately though, I completely agree with you about him not being able to create a masterpiece on the level of Slash's past work,  I couldn't see SMKC creating a Serial Killer or a Coma or a Messages, a song that really grabs you by the balls and gets into your soul. They have some truly great songs, I absolutely adore Beneath The Savage Sun and The Unholy, but even their best songs just lack that extra spark of magic that you know would've been there if Axl was fronting the mic. Anastasia is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. That riff is fantastic, SCOM level brilliance. The guitar work on that song is truly inspired, but the actual song itself, the melody line, the lyrics, the chorus (basically the bits Myles came up with) are all a bit ordinary. When you're in a band and someone comes up with a fantastic idea, a seed of inspiration, be it a riff, a chord progression or just a motif, you want the other members to raise their game and deliver their contributions at the same level. There's too many instances in SMKC where Slash delivers the goods but Myles doesn't imo.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

Absolutely. And yeah, I didn't want to put words into your mouth or anything. I didn't read it as you don't like Myles. I LOVE Myles but just can't help expressing or noting what we both seem to agree on. Again, not really Myles' fault, but yeah it was rather easy to see this was the direction it would take from the last album, and kind of solidified here. Some GREAT Slash contributions with a great backing band and Myles contributing fine but rather generic ideas. I've never really been disappointed, although I guess thats because I'd rather this consistency thats just below the "excellent" level, as opposed to him doing some really incredible things like Snakepit Serial Killer, etc, and then those things end up breaking up. I like all the guys so much in this band that I'd rather they stay together and make great stuff consistently, putting on some of the best live shows I can think of for a rock band nowadays, as opposed to Slash doing sporadic excellent stuff with someone else (VR, Snakepit). For what its worth, since that first self titled Slash album, I have always said that even if its not incredible its still so much better than what most guitar players do when they go off solo, at least IMO, and that I'm so happy Slash has really proved himself this way. I expected nothing from his self titled album and was blown away, so I'm just really happy he's doing stuff he seems to enjoy and doing it well.

Typical ZoSo response here,

I fucking love Slash and Myles. I think AL and WOF are great albums and they're an amazing live band. Myles may sound a bit more co for table in Alter Bridge but that doesn't take away from my love of him and the Conspirators.

No, he isn't like an Axl to Slash, but no one else can be. Can't wait for the reunion and am excited the Conspirators will be back too. Good times ahead

Edit- I can definitely see a lot of GunsFanOldies points. Myles is a good writer, but more so in AB

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 3

See and thats so funny, cause I LOVE Myles, but don't understand the love for Alter Bridge, or specifically why he's better in it. IMO Alter Bridge is a FAR more generic rock band than SMK&C, and I've really tried to get into them. They all seem like nice guys, but their music literally does nothing for me. Sounds exactly like all the other stuff I'd hear on my local hard rock/metal station. I can never think of a lot of new bands but no different than the stuff that Halestorm puts out, or Black Stone Cherry or Seether. Its all that sort of generic hard rock that just doesn't move me at all. Although I guess maybe thats why he IS better in Alter Bridge :lol:, cause his generic style songwriting more fits that generic style band (and again, none of that is meant to disparage Myles or AB. I just have not been able to get into their music).

But I always hear people say "he's better in Alter Bridge" and I'm always like "really? Cause I like him WAY more in Slash's band." But maybe thats just cause I think the music is better. And again, it should never be forgotten in all this that I'm saying about Myles that I think he may very well be the nicest guy in rock music nowadays and just seems like the all around coolest guy. I'm so happy Slash was able to bring him onto my, and a bigger, radar. I SO look forward every time they tour to seeing that incredible fucking band live.

I still remember when they debuted World On Fire on the radio and I was like "fuck, these guys are STILL doing great!" Such a great feeling after seeing one of the Conspirator's first shows like 4 years earlier.

Very good points guys. My issue with Myles is, he just isn't a RnR guy. He is more of an alternative singer. That's why he fits more in Alter Bridge (even though their style is not my music).

The melodys, his whoohoos and whaahaas, his lack of blues (I know there are exceptions like Back From Cali or Starlight, and I know Mayfield Four was a lot bluesier, but that doesn't change the fact that it lacks here in SMKC)... all that prevents me from liking  a lot less songs than I think I could. 

But then again, it's exactly the same as with every other band Slash was involved in post Guns. I always thought he deserved a much better singer and nobody satisfied as much as Axl.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Free Bird said:

But then again, it's exactly the same as with every other band Slash was involved in post Guns. I always thought he deserved a much better singer and nobody satisfied as much as Axl.

Nobody satisfied as much as Axl, however I've always really liked his singers in Snakepit. I regularly campaign for Ain't Life Grand to be one of the albums of that decade so I really like what Rod Jackson did on that album there, even if he was a tad unstable. I thought he was a great singer, as was Eric Dover even though he wasn't much special. A by the books kind of singer for whatever his style was. No more no less. I also had no problems with Scott. I didn't LOVE him like others did, but he fit VR very well and ultimately gave that band a distinctive feel. There was an unpredictable quality there, and when they were on he was great. So while his vocals rarely "wowed" me, he had a quality that made him stand out (obviously, as he was widely praised right after he passed) and he was a major reason the 2007 show I saw was as good as it was. He was fantastic.

Like I said, I also LOVE Myles. I think what you lack in him you gain in consistency and likability that the other singers didn't quite have. So actually, I've really liked all of the singers Slash picks or interacts with. No one is ever PERFECT, but they all have great qualities. Axl had the amazing voice and is an all around great frontman. Scott, when on, was a great frontman and the second most distinctive voice Slash worked with. Snakepit singers were good, and Myles is fine but extremely consistent and his proved to be a loyal partner.

8 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Check out the song Fortress and Cry of Achilles

I did and unfortunately they really did nothing for me. I've heard the album before, mainly cause I have a friend who really loves it, but its only left me feeling pretty much the same. Admittedly, I did think Cry Of Achilles was pretty decent, but still not much I care about repeatedly listening to. Heard Addicted To Pain many times on the radio as well and does nothing. Just what it is I guess. I remember Isolation and the Ghosts song and it had that same effect. Not terrible, but just nothing I get attached to.

8 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Very good points guys. My issue with Myles is, he just isn't a RnR guy. He is more of an alternative singer. That's why he fits more in Alter Bridge (even though their style is not my music).

The melodys, his whoohoos and whaahaas, his lack of blues (I know there are exceptions like Back From Cali or Starlight, and I know Mayfield Four was a lot bluesier, but that doesn't change the fact that it lacks here in SMKC)... all that prevents me from liking  a lot less songs than I think I could. 

Slash said the most interesting his guitar sounded was with Izzy. It's the same with Axl's voice. It's just a perfect fit musically and that's rare as fuck. No one else will even come close. You had more blues influenced singers in Snakepit. Like one of them was a Steven Tyler influenced singer. No one can sound as good with Slash like it was with the original 5. Fucked up how 20 years have been wasted without that chemistry, but it happpens. Hard Rock bands are not very stable and it was never stable for Guns.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, gunsfanoldie said:

I did and unfortunately they really did nothing for me. I've heard the album before, mainly cause I have a friend who really loves it, but its only left me feeling pretty much the same. Admittedly, I did think Cry Of Achilles was pretty decent, but still not much I care about repeatedly listening to. Heard Addicted To Pain many times on the radio as well and does nothing. Just what it is I guess. I remember Isolation and the Ghosts song and it had that same effect. Not terrible, but just nothing I get attached to.

All right, all right.  Different strokes, indeed.  I prefer Myles with Alter Bridge, mainly because the songwriting partnership between him and Mark Tremonti is just spectacular to me, to the point, where I'm willing to say without hesitation that they are the best songwriting team in modern hard rock, especially above Slash and Myles.  Then again, if you cannot get into AB, then it's  probably more that you do not prefer the more modern alternative metal-style that Mark Tremonti has in his music in general, and that's fine, since I've been posts in other forums where they prefer Myles with Slash over Myles with AB and that's mainly due to Mark Tremonti's style of music (which is not bad to say the least to them, it's just not what they prefer).  You can say that AB are just another generic hard rock band like Shinedown, Halestorm, Black Stone Cherry and some may see it that way, and as much as I like those bands a lot, I can see that AB has a great amount of depth than those bands, but again, if it's not meant for everyone, then it's not meant for everyone.  It does mean a lot to me and that's all that matters to me.  Does it mean I have bad taste?  Probably, but I sure do enjoy the hell out of it which is more than I can say about anything else, honestly.

That stated, I'm feeling as happy as I've ever been now than I was at this time, last year, with regards to Myles' projects.  Making another Alter Bridge album, going tour with them in the summer opening in amphitheaters to Disturbed and Breaking Benjamin (probably another group of bands people here may find to be sucky bands, but at least AB is going to get some more exposure in the US, which is really all I ask for), maybe getting that solo album out.  To me, it sure feels good to see Myles, going into 2016, doing the things that I'm really looking forward to.  I really could not say the same in 2015 though.

Edited by Anguyen92
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anguyen92 said:

All right, all right.  Different strokes, indeed.  I prefer Myles with Alter Bridge, mainly because the songwriting partnership between him and Mark Tremonti is just spectacular to me, to the point, where I'm willing to say without hesitation that they are the best songwriting team in modern hard rock, especially above Slash and Myles.  Then again, if you cannot get into AB, then it's  probably more that you do not prefer the more modern alternative metal-style that Mark Tremonti has in his music in general, and that's fine, since I've been posts in other forums where they prefer Myles with Slash over Myles with AB and that's mainly due to Mark Tremonti's style of music (which is not bad to say the least to them, it's just not what they prefer).  You can say that AB are just another generic hard rock band like Shinedown, Halestorm, Black Stone Cherry and some may see it that way, and as much as I like those bands a lot, I can see that AB has a great amount of depth than those bands, but again, if it's not meant for everyone, then it's not meant for everyone.  It does mean a lot to me and that's all that matters to me.  Does it mean I have bad taste?  Probably, but I sure do enjoy the hell out of it which is more than I can say about anything else, honestly.

That stated, I'm feeling as happy as I've ever been now than I was at this time, last year, with regards to Myles' projects.  Making another Alter Bridge album, going tour with them in the summer opening in amphitheaters to Disturbed and Breaking Benjamin (probably another group of bands people here may find to be sucky bands, but at least AB is going to get some more exposure in the US, which is really all I ask for), maybe getting that solo album out.  To me, it sure feels good to see Myles, going into 2016, doing the things that I'm really looking forward to.  I really could not say the same in 2015 though.

Who will judge over "good taste" or "bad taste"? If you like it, fine. That's all that matters. 

Most people I know don't like or don't even know GNR. That's a fact. Do I have bad musical taste now? To me I have the best taste in the world :lol: