Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

I'm hoping for something inspired from Slash this time. Anastasia was great. By The Sword and Watch This were really strong.

It's not like he doesn't have the ability to do it, but I didn't care for AL at all (besides Anastasia)

A lot of Slash's ideas just need more time to develop imo.

I wouldn't be upset if they switched up the formula a bit and didn't do the straight make it sound like they are playing it live thing like AL. I like that they can replicate it perfectly every night, but sometimes some studio trickery is OK.

I don't want a cut/paste album that sounds like it came out of a computer, but I wouldn't mind Slash playing around with some different sounds/effects.

Indeed.

He needs to push himself a bit more or be pushed by someone else who in this case, is not Myles Kennedy.

True. AL is a very solid album but you see some ideas could have been used more efficiently sometimes, y'know? Slash needs an Andrew Stockdale. I'll stick to that theory, it'd be my dream team :lol:

Indeed.

He needs to push himself a bit more or be pushed by someone else who in this case, is not Myles Kennedy.

True. AL is a very solid album but you see some ideas could have been used more efficiently sometimes, y'know? Slash needs an Andrew Stockdale. I'll stick to that theory, it'd be my dream team :lol:

Don't want to start an argument here as we're all Slash fans, but can you give some examples of AL ideas that weren't used efficiently? I'm not saying some weren't (though personally I don't think any were), but I'd be interested in hearing what another Slash fan thinks.

I didn't love By The Sword that much, I like almost every Myles song better. My pick for a singer for Slash: M. Shadows (though I am perfectly happy with MK). That track off the first solo album is f*cking killer.

Edited by OmarBradley

Some of my thoughts:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't understand why everyone loves Andrew Stockdale so much here. Fine, I guess everyone has a personal favorite, but it seems so unanimous as if he did something amazing when he didn't. By The Sword is good, its not GREAT (again like everyone says), and the two Myles songs were far better than that off the first album, at least Back From Cali was. Another thing I don't get: everyone loves Standing In The Sun. I mean, its good, but thats the one you all think is so great?

Omar, I wouldn't want M Shadows being Slash's singer. Nothing To Say is a very good song, one of my favorites from that album, but that genre can get painfully dull quickly. Its fun to hear Slash do that once, but I don't want to hear him only play that stupid riff over and over again which I think many of the songs would sound like if he was working exclusively with Shadows. Also, say what you want about Myles, but I don't think Shadows is that great of a singer. He's good on that song, but thats basically his only voice. Every Avenged song has that sinister verse vocal and then the chorus where his voice rises, and settles again for the verse. Its good for him, he's got a thing and he can stick with that. And it works very well on Nothing To Say, but I could see that getting repetitive for a whole album.

Out of the people on his first album, Myles seems like the best pick. He's nice, got a great voice (apparently not to many here) and he has a rock sensibility that works for Slash's music. But I do agree as much as I liked AL, it could have been a lot better. Songs like We Will Roam and No More Heroes don't ever reach their peaks to me. They are good songs but Slash doesn't have anyone to make them epic. Like make them a GNR level song. It sounds like he gets the riff, creates a basic structure, and Myles adds vocals to that. And thats what's released. He doesn't have anyone pushing him further, and clearly these songs are what he can do on his own with a bunch of people that bow down to him and will say yes to whatever he suggests (not to disparage the Conspirators, but we all know thats what they are).

AL was still the best hard rock record of that year, so that says something. Even Slash on his own is much better than most other hard rock these days. But I know what people mean when they say the stuff sounds unfinished. Anastasia does stand out that it seems really worked on. Everything else is very straight to the point and doesn't have the layers to be an incredible song. I love stuff like Shots Fired and Halo and Not For Me, but they all have the feeling where they don't reach their full potential. I can ignore that because I like the CD, but it is there. Stuff like Apocalyptic Love and One Last Thrill and Hard & Fast seem like stuff he could write in his sleep. Again, not bad, but its an observation that I think is fair. Funny that Axl strove to be TOO epic with Chinese and Slash could have done well with trying to be a little more epic with his songs.

Edited by classicguns4life

Some of my thoughts:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't understand why everyone loves Andrew Stockdale so much here. Fine, I guess everyone has a personal favorite, but it seems so unanimous as if he did something amazing when he didn't. By The Sword is good, its not GREAT (again like everyone says), and the two Myles songs were far better than that off the first album, at least Back From Cali was. Another thing I don't get: everyone loves Standing In The Sun. I mean, its good, but thats the one you all think is so great?

Yup. 100%.

Omar, I wouldn't want M Shadows being Slash's singer. Nothing To Say is a very good song, one of my favorites from that album, but that genre can get painfully dull quickly. Its fun to hear Slash do that once, but I don't want to hear him only play that stupid riff over and over again which I think many of the songs would sound like if he was working exclusively with Shadows. Also, say what you want about Myles, but I don't think Shadows is that great of a singer. He's good on that song, but thats basically his only voice. Every Avenged song has that sinister verse vocal and then the chorus where his voice rises, and settles again for the verse. Its good for him, he's got a thing and he can stick with that. And it works very well on Nothing To Say, but I could see that getting repetitive for a whole album.

I can see that argument, and it's not a bad point to be honest. I would say much of the A7X I have sounds very similar, but Slash would probably write a bit more intricately if Shadows was in a permanent band with him. As you know that first solo record had music written specifically for those singers, i.e. what Slash thought would be a good combo of rock/those singer's respective styles. Though I can't argue that Shadow's has more than 1 or so voice that he uses.

Out of the people on his first album, Myles seems like the best pick. He's nice, got a great voice (apparently not to many here) and he has a rock sensibility that works for Slash's music. But I do agree as much as I liked AL, it could have been a lot better. Songs like We Will Roam and No More Heroes don't ever reach their peaks to me. They are good songs but Slash doesn't have anyone to make them epic. Like make them a GNR level song. It sounds like he gets the riff, creates a basic structure, and Myles adds vocals to that. And thats what's released. He doesn't have anyone pushing him further, and clearly these songs are what he can do on his own with a bunch of people that bow down to him and will say yes to whatever he suggests (not to disparage the Conspirators, but we all know thats what they are).

AL was still the best hard rock record of that year, so that says something. Even Slash on his own is much better than most other hard rock these days. But I know what people mean when they say the stuff sounds unfinished. Anastasia does stand out that it seems really worked on. Everything else is very straight to the point and doesn't have the layers to be an incredible song. I love stuff like Shots Fired and Halo and Not For Me, but they all have the feeling where they don't reach their full potential. I can ignore that because I like the CD, but it is there. Stuff like Apocalyptic Love and One Last Thrill and Hard & Fast seem like stuff he could write in his sleep. Again, not bad, but its an observation that I think is fair. Funny that Axl strove to be TOO epic with Chinese and Slash could have done well with trying to be a little more epic with his songs.

Fuck, you talk sense.

The only songs on AL I didn't love were Standing in the Sun, Far & Away, and sort of Bad Rain. The rest I thought were great. Didn't have any issues with Heroes or We Will Roam, I thought for what they were, they were great. I could never get really into You're A Lie, but I think that's because it was the single. Singles just don't sit well with me, it bends the way I hear it.

I agree about the song AL, One Last Thrill, and H&F, doesn't make them not great though, as you noted. I think Shots Fired, Halo, and NFM sound very complete, and they are definitely 3 of my favorite songs on the album (though almost every song is a favorite of the album). I never got to hear Shots Fired live though :(. Heard H&F I think 3-4 times, and I think they were the two being switched out for each other. Luck of the draw though, not particularly Slash's fault. Although the live setlist conversation is for a different topic, and I know you and I see almost exactly eye to eye on that anyway.

Haha I guess we don't see eye to eye on everything. I actually think Far And Away is a great song, possibly my favorite on the album. I prefer the rockers, but that song has a really nice build and its clearly different from the rest of the album. On the softer songs, I think Slash puts more time into layering them, whereas the rockers are a riff and then a guitar solo. Personally, I think he's an idiot for not playing F&A every night, but you can't get everything. I'm really upset he only played that like 5 times on the tour and I didn't see any of them.

Some of my thoughts:

I must confess that's what i think too.

Not blaming Myles or Slash but AL needed more work on it. Moreover, i wasn't a big fan of the production. i really hope they'll change producer and sound on the next album.

About the songs, i won't be surprised to see an Apocalyptic love II. Slash loves straight rock n' roll songs too much !

Regarding Myles himself, he is probably the best frontman Slash worked with on a personal side and at this point, nothing else matters ! Just having a good time writting new music with a talented down to earth singer. Ok stage presence of the guy is not the same as Bruce Dickinson, Axl, Steven Tyler or anyone else but people in general are happy with it.

So, let's hope the best for the next album !

Honestly, the most frustrating thing for me about Slash's albums, is that there is always at least one song that hints at what Slash can really do and his potential in the studio and how cool the material can be, but the rest of the material doesn't compare imo.

Slither, By The Sword, Anastasia. Watch This says a lot about how Slash works. He wanted someone to sing on it, but decided to just release it as an instrumental when they couldn't find a good match for it. It was too good for that imo. Had a lot of potential as a proper song.

Hopefully the upcoming release will be more even, and the quality more consistent.

Edited by Rovim

Haha I guess we don't see eye to eye on everything. I actually think Far And Away is a great song, possibly my favorite on the album. I prefer the rockers, but that song has a really nice build and its clearly different from the rest of the album. On the softer songs, I think Slash puts more time into layering them, whereas the rockers are a riff and then a guitar solo. Personally, I think he's an idiot for not playing F&A every night, but you can't get everything. I'm really upset he only played that like 5 times on the tour and I didn't see any of them.

I was at the last (I think) show they played it at, July of this year in PA. Was nice to hear it, but would have much preferred to hear Shots Fired, AL again, or something else.

Guys correct me if I´m wrong. But I think that in Slash albums maybe we see much room for improvement because of budget issues. As far as I know Slash doesn´t have a big record company supporting him with many hours of studio, engineers or producers. With that in mind, well there will always be limitations to the tacks potencial and development. I guess he can push the envelope with himself and the band but I don´t see another Coma in a Slash album. I will be happy with more Anastasia type of songs.

Guys correct me if I´m wrong. But I think that in Slash albums maybe we see much room for improvement because of budget issues. As far as I know Slash doesn´t have a big record company supporting him with many hours of studio, engineers or producers. With that in mind, well there will always be limitations to the tacks potencial and development. I guess he can push the envelope with himself and the band but I don´t see another Coma in a Slash album. I will be happy with more Anastasia type of songs.

I don't think there is a problem regarding accessibility to pro-studio time. I'm pretty sure Slash's studio has all of the components and amenities of any Sony, Universal, Warner, etc. studio. Slash probably has unlimited hours of studio use, a hired engineer or two, and a chosen producer. The last record was produced by Eric Valentine, a fairly well known and successful producer. I don't agree with a lot of you who are saying the songs and musical ideas weren't fully developed, but that's up to opinion. Slash wanted to make a hard rock record, and he did.

• Like 1

another facebook status (If I am getting annoying, just lemme know guys!)

"This past week of pre pro was sick. It's fucking rockin'. Start up with Myles in Dec. iiii]; )'"

If they are putting down Myles' vocals next month, it sounds like the writing for at least the music is mostly done. Cool stuff!

Honestly, the most frustrating thing for me about Slash's albums, is that there is always at least one song that hints at what Slash can really do and his potential in the studio and how cool the material can be, but the rest of the material doesn't compare imo.

Slither, By The Sword, Anastasia. Watch This says a lot about how Slash works. He wanted someone to sing on it, but decided to just release it as an instrumental when they couldn't find a good match for it. It was too good for that imo. Had a lot of potential as a proper song.

Hopefully the upcoming release will be more even, and the quality more consistent.

Slither, By The Sword, Anastasia and Fall To Pieces, I like musically, but they're dying for Axl's vocals and lyrics (find the Anastasia lyrics distractingky cheesy). Watch This would be fucking EPIC with Axl on it, it's the Slash song that needs him most.

• 2 weeks later...

A few not so interesting updates-

"I have thought about the name for the new album, but I haven’t come up with any definite titles, and it’s very early on so there’s still a lot of time to figure that out."

"Starting phase 2 of pre pro tomorrow with the boys. Really looking forward to it. iiii]; )'" -That was said December 1st

Sounds like the writing is done

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1