Do you think Kurt Cobain's death lead to Axl's decline?

arnold layne

Do you think after Kurt Cobain died, life wasn't the same for Axl Rose?

Kurt Cobain was Axl's nemesis, and after he died, life kind of moved on and he had nowhere else to go. You could argue Slash was a big part of this too, but I think the feud between these two was deeper than we think it is. I think Axl was a big part of Kurt's life and vice versa. Not everyone is mentioned in Kurt's autobiographical tapes.

Your opinions?

I say yes. I'll try & keep this short. Cobain was an asshole with regards to how he judged axl without him even knowing axl & by what the media says. If he gave axl & chance those to good of been quite good friends and imo Axl would of got him clean, imagine the music they could of created, but cobain was a jerk and a hypocrite with how he treated axl. I think that it would of taken a huge chunk outta axl's fire as he had no competition from then on, which could be linked to how he tends to be in no rush for anything anymore, his tenacity seems to of died out, maybe he's just more relaxed now that he's older, don't get me wrong he still loves performing but he seems to be almost liked a caged animal these days.

Not so much his death but the fact that someone he admired openly mocked him and said they hated everything he represented must have had a huge impact on Axl. We all know what a sensitive soul he his and that he doesn't take personal slights too well. I think its pretty likely he still carries some of that baggage around.

No. If anything, Axl probably felt some kind of weird victory. Not at all that he was GLAD he was dead, but just that feeling like "huh, well, guess I won."

I doubt it affected him any more than it affected everyone. It was sad and shocking, but he didn't know him personally. He liked him as a musician, and so did all of us pretty much. But life moves on.

I'm sure the deaths of Shannon Hoon, West Arkeen, and Axl's mother were much more devastating.

No. If anything, Axl probably felt some kind of weird victory. Not at all that he was GLAD he was dead, but just that feeling like "huh, well, guess I won."

I doubt it affected him any more than it affected everyone. It was sad and shocking, but he didn't know him personally. He liked him as a musician, and so did all of us pretty much. But life moves on.

I'm sure the deaths of Shannon Hoon, West Arkeen, and Axl's mother were much more devastating.

Slash said something once around '95 that the UYI albums were about GN'R overcoming what Kurt Cobain couldn't. Maybe Axl felt the same?

I think it might of crystalized his "no martyr" stance. I think he said "Kurt Cobain was everything I could have been" I'm not sure if he meant if he went solo he could have had that kind of success or that he could have gone out at the peak of AFD and been a rock legend, but he hung around to have fun and become the in-joke of the industry. But now he's coming out the other side, he survived and maybe doesn't care about it anymore.

Guest Len B'stard

Someone once said that about Marlon Brando, that he was never the same after James Dean died because his main competition was gone, he had no need to push himself. I don't think it's quite applicable (either in Brandos or with the Kurt/Axl thing) simply because Axl was never really competition for where Kurt was heading. I mean Axl was big but it's impossible to judge whether he or Guns could've ever been legendary in that history books kinda way that would see him mentioned in that Lennon, Dylan type high up there pantheon cuz all the boobery surrounding the band made it so they never really got the right kinda mileage out of themselves to qualify that shit. 2 albums and an EP of original stuff that wasn't really, in terms of Axls songwriting quality, enough to launch him that far.

They ain't in the same league basically, one was about 50 million times more important to his generation than the other and one (Kurt again) showed with his few albums a lot more in the way of talent than the other. I can see why you'd make the association though.

Guest Len B'stard

one (Kurt again) showed with his few albums a lot more in the way of talent than the other.

That is some bullshit right there.

Sorry but one of em can only sing (albeit exceptionally), the other is lauded for some of the best songwriting to come out of popular music, some pretty different guitar playing of the sort that you've not really heard in the mainstream since and in his own way a strange impassioned voice that spoke to millions of millions of people. Axl doesn't really have anything but a very good voice to his credit.

one (Kurt again) showed with his few albums a lot more in the way of talent than the other.

Sorry but one of em can only sing (albeit exceptionally), the other is lauded for some of the best songwriting to come out of popular music, some pretty different guitar playing of the sort that you've not really heard in the mainstream since and in his own way a strange impassioned voice that spoke to millions of millions of people. Axl doesn't really have anything but a very good voice to his credit.

You've completely overlooked Axl's songwriting abilities. And as a musician Axl is far more gifted on the piano than Kurt is on the guitar. Any tryhard who's played guitar for six months could master Kurts fairly rudimentary guitar playing on Nevermind.

Was Kurt Cobain's death the decline of Axl Rose? OH. MY. GOD.

Nothing was the decline of Axl Rose but Axl Rose himself. The revisionist history that Nirvana played any part in the decline of GnR/Axl is so inaccurate. GnR were at a stage that they were untouchable. Like Metallica and U2. A new sound like Grunge wasn't gonna derail these bands. The fact GnR stopped producing music is what killed them. That and that alone. And the idea that Coabin's death was responsible for the decline of Axl Rose is so ridiculous.

• Like 1

Nirvana made GN'R uncool, both with their music (and the grunge revolution) and their unmixed words (Axl is a pompous asshole has-been).

Don't underestimate how much Nirvana stopped GN'R in their tracks.

And GN'R played into their hands by going bigger and grander, supporting the narrative.

Grunge was impenetrable at the time. TSI was a big mistake. GN'R should have laid low, let the storm pass and then unleash hell with what they did best .... Stripped down, nasty, dirty, superb rock n roll.

Was Kurt Cobain's death the decline of Axl Rose? OH. MY. GOD.

Nothing was the decline of Axl Rose but Axl Rose himself. The revisionist history that Nirvana played any part in the decline of GnR/Axl is so inaccurate. GnR were at a stage that they were untouchable. Like Metallica and U2. A new sound like Grunge wasn't gonna derail these bands. The fact GnR stopped producing music is what killed them. That and that alone. And the idea that Coabin's death was responsible for the decline of Axl Rose is so ridiculous.

How did TSI fare compared to Zooropa? Pop was the only U2 album that "failed".

The GNR/Nirvana feud is cute. To me, Crue and GNR should use that old feud crap to sell tickets.

Edited by dalsh327

I think some of you are overestimating the longevity of that rivalry. It was a very brief thing.

By the time Kurt died, Nirvana had long beaten GNR in the battle for popularity.

You've completely overlooked Axl's songwriting abilities. And as a musician Axl is far more gifted on the piano than Kurt is on the guitar. Any tryhard who's played guitar for six months could master Kurts fairly rudimentary guitar playing on Nevermind.

You miss the point though, millions of people who have never even picked up a guitar in their life can learn to play the start of Come As You Are within literally 5-10 minutes but only one person ever managed to write it.