Did Axl miss a great chance by not getting John Frusciante?

ManetsBR

The greatest musicians on the planet could have joined and it wouldn't have mattered a damn.

For a second I thought you'd be claiming that he's the greatest musician on the planet :lol:

You thought that because you correctly know he'd be on the short list of contenders. And galaxies above anyone in Nu-Guns. Or do you actually think Bumble, Fortus or Ashba compare? :bbf::4tus::dj:

Frusciante would likely take his own life after 3 months of trying to work with Axl. I always thought Axl and the Rage Boys would be a cool Super Group experiment, by again, things would get ugly early...

He did jon GNR at a certain point, didn't he?

Not that I'm aware of.

I mean Dave Navarro...

They wanted him to replace Izzy but couldn't in time so they went with gilby instead...

Dave said he declined the offer to replace Izzy because he was still struggling with heroin at the time, plus they had also caught the guy who killed his mother, so you can imagine where his head was at...

Edited by dalsh327

He did jon GNR at a certain point, didn't he?

Not that I'm aware of.

I mean Dave Navarro...

They wanted him to replace Izzy but couldn't in time so they went with gilby instead...

Dave said he declined the offer to replace Izzy because he was still struggling with heroin at the time, plus they had also caught the guy who killed his mother, so you can imagine where his head was at...

I would have loved to have Dave in GNR. He plays on Oh My God but I dont know if that constitutes him as an official member at the time.

When it comes to his solo material John Frusciante is absolutely amazing. One of the best artists of his generation. His solo material blows RHCP material outta the water in terms of quality and creativity in my opinion. It would've been an absolute shame had he joined Guns N Roses and been left to rot. Did Axl miss his chance. Fuck yeah he did but I'm so glad that never happened for John's sake.

John Frusciante >>>>>> Guns N Roses post 1993

Totally agree!

Furthermore, I think it is quite unlikely that John would ever have joined.

Frusciante's wikipedia page says:

In an interview with Blare Magazine Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, when asked about possible future collaborations with John, stated: "Maybe in the future, but John’s in a different place right now. He’s in a place where he couldn’t care less about putting things out or about something being a product. He’s living by different standards right now with a different philosophy, so he doesn’t want to be a part of anything that he knows is going to end up being a product. A Mars Volta record definitely ends up being a product".

In light of the fact that any GNR material would definitely end up being a product, the same applies.

When it comes to his solo material John Frusciante is absolutely amazing. One of the best artists of his generation. His solo material blows RHCP material outta the water in terms of quality and creativity in my opinion. It would've been an absolute shame had he joined Guns N Roses and been left to rot. Did Axl miss his chance. Fuck yeah he did but I'm so glad that never happened for John's sake.

John Frusciante >>>>>> Guns N Roses post 1993

Totally agree!

Furthermore, I think it is quite unlikely that John would ever have joined.

Frusciante's wikipedia page says:

In an interview with Blare Magazine Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, when asked about possible future collaborations with John, stated: "Maybe in the future, but John’s in a different place right now. He’s in a place where he couldn’t care less about putting things out or about something being a product. He’s living by different standards right now with a different philosophy, so he doesn’t want to be a part of anything that he knows is going to end up being a product. A Mars Volta record definitely ends up being a product".

In light of the fact that any GNR material would definitely end up being a product, the same applies.

He's also said recently that he has no desire to ever perform live again, so I'm guessing he might not come running when TB notifies him of a new tour 48 hours in advance.

Edited by Turn_It_Up

John is too much of a pussy to be in GNR. I love his music but its not heavy enough for GNR, simply. WHAT makes somebody think that Axl and John would sound good together, and who would think that their control issues and artistic visions wouldnt collide from day one?

What's with this forum?

Someone like Frusciante would NEVER join GNR. So, Axl didn't "miss an opportunity."

I know it's hard for a lot of you to hear, but the world of music doesn't worship Axl and Beta like you guys do. World famous musicians aren't going around begging Fernando to take control of their careers.

God damn, next thing, you're going to be saying, "Muse missed their chanc by not disbanding and becoming Fernando's employees. Instead of playing Wembley and releasing albums every couple of years, they'd rather be playing alongside DJ and Axl at a bowling alley and taking orders from Fernando."

Get a freaking clue, guys. God damn.

Yet, so many better guitarists haven't laughed at the call. Strange. :shrugs:

Better guitarists than can't write good songs.

Technical proficiency is useless without soul. It's the difference between a cover band and legitimate group of artists.

Frusciante would hysterically laugh for about 30 seconds if he got a call from Beta offering the GNR gig.

Riiiiiiiiiiight. :lol:

JF a musician well beyond anyone(any instrument) whose been in Nu-GNR. Forget Beta having lunch with him, she'd be lucky to get his autograph off e-bay.

Niceguy and NGOG right.

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Frusciante would hysterically laugh for about 30 seconds if he got a call from Beta offering the GNR gig.

Right. DJ is just such a more remarkable musician than Frusciante.

Also, Bumby's song "Piranha" is more important to rock music history than "Under the Bridge" is.

Right, thanks for clearing that up. I'm gonna go masturbate to Sixcccx AM now, you can't go anywhere without hearin it. The bars, the malls, the stores, radio, tv, it's everywhere.

Got it, thanks.

I'm a fan of some of the Guns N' Rose's guitarrists and even owe some of their albums, but John is better than of all of them.

And niceguy, you totally missed the point. I didn't say that John should have joined GNR, nor that it would have been better for him. I'm just saying that I'm pretty sure the music Axl would potentially right would be way better than what he wrote with DJ. But, sadly, joining Guns N' Roses is an artistical suicide.

This thread just proves you could resurrect John Bonham or Keith Moon and a few Nu-GNR Kool-Aid guzzlers here would say they prefer Frank Ferrer just because he happens to be in the band at the moment.

Hysterical anyone would think GNR better off without Frusciante(not that he'd ever join).

Better guitarists than can't write good songs.

Technical proficiency is useless without soul. It's the difference between a cover band and legitimate group of artists.

Technical proficiency is the only thing that isn't subject to opinion. I'm right, you're wrong. Next.

Right. DJ is just such a more remarkable musician than Frusciante.

Also, Bumby's song "Piranha" is more important to rock music history than "Under the Bridge" is.

Right, thanks for clearing that up. I'm gonna go masturbate to Sixcccx AM now, you can't go anywhere without hearin it. The bars, the malls, the stores, radio, tv, it's everywhere.

Got it, thanks.

LOL. "It's on the radio, it's great!!!" Thank you for contributing the lulz to the conversation. Intentional or not, we need more of such absurdity to brighten up the day.

Technical proficiency is the only thing that isn't subject to opinion.

Frusciante is responsible for some of the greatest guitar parts in modern rock history.

Songwriting > wankery

Edited by NGOG
  • Like 2

Technical proficiency is the only thing that isn't subject to opinion.

Frusciante is responsible for some of the greatest guitar parts in modern rock history.

Songwriting > wankery

Lol, he's responsible for some of the biggest piles of shit in modern rock history, I'll give him that. Shit guitarist in a shit band produces wonderfully boring piles of shit. Who would've thought?

Hahahahahaha do you guys really believe that Frusciane is up there with Jimmy, Jimi and Eddie? Frusciane can't hold a candle to Shawn Lane but most people out there have not heard one note played by him, yet millions think that the generic Californication riff is the real deal. Fuck commercial success, people that use that as argument belong to Justin Bieber forums where they take commercial success and pop appeal seriously. I am glad that serious musicians and music listeners listen to Shawn Lane, Steve Vai, Satch and other "souless shredders" and rank them and their work way above Frusciane. Meanwhile, Beyonce is more relevant these days and "sold more" than Mozart. If you play them a Mozart piece they will not recognize, but if you play them Beyonce's last hit they will sing along. Really, I will say again: FUCK POPULARITY. Some people are happy making music to those who matter instead of making music that can sell. Music that will inspire musicians and music listeners that dont listen to MTV. That's why even though Jimi Hendrix sold way less than Slash, Richie Sambora and Frusciane he is the one that inspired pretty much everyone that came after him.

• Like 1

Hahahahahaha do you guys really believe that Frusciane is up there with Jimmy, Jimi and Eddie?

Uhm, this is just a matter of personal preference. There is no right or wrong here. But yeah, I prefer Frusciante's solos to all of these.

Frusciante's albums are just brilliant. I started with the Empyrean, moved on to "To Record Only Water for Ten Days" and now I'm just hooked on his solo material....