Your memories of purchasing the Use Your Illusion albums in 1991-24 years ago today!

Subtle Signs

Who remembers how awesome it was to buy the Illusions in 91? Did your town have a midnight madness sale? Share your memories of purchasing the Illusions in 91. Did you get them on CD or Cassette?

This video brings back so many memories. I kept my longboxes for a long time after buying the CDs.

Edited by Subtle Signs

I wish I was part of this. Alas, I was not. I got into Gn'R the following year. I was 9 years old. I went to Greece, actually, and there were some metalheads out there who used to sit in the town square and headbang to Metallica, Guns, Def Leppard, Pantera, and a few others. I came back to America that summer and my sister bought Appetite, Metallica's self-titled, and Def Leppard's Hysteria (all on tape). That was it for me. My love affair with rock and roll began, particularly Guns N' Roses, which by this time was all over the MTV airwaves.

It's sad that due to the advent of digital technologies, this type of midnight madness for new records is dead and gone. And unfortunately, video games and any physical media that can now be digital will eventually become just that. There is so much to be said for the camaraderie and the suspense of waiting in line to get that new piece of software.

My memory of the Illusions discs ...

I bought Use Your Illusion 1 in '92 for this girl's birthday. I was into her at the time. You know, young puppy love. I got her the Illusions record and a bouquet of red roses and showed up at her house on my bicycle on a Saturday morning. She loved it. In fact, she was into rock music before I was due to the influence of her older bro.

Ah, the '90s.

Edited by GnR Chris

They are 2 albums. I remember I bought UYI 1 tape and UYI 2 CD. The thing is I played that tape so much that I screw it up at some point. So I bought the CD later anyway. But I still keep that tape. Before that I got AFD and Lies tapes as well, same story. So I bought the CDs later and I still keep those fucked up tapes. I was growing up in those days going from teenage years into adulthood. I have many memories of many things going on in my life at the time attached to those tapes. I can´t get rid of them.

They are 2 albums. I remember I bought UYI 1 tape and UYI 2 CD. The thing is I played that tape so much that I screw it up at some point. So I bought the CD later anyway. But I still keep that tape. Before that I got AFD and Lies tapes as well, same story. So I bought the CDs later and I still keep those fucked up tapes. I was growing up in those days going from teenage years into adulthood. I have many memories of many things going on in my life at the time attached to those tapes. I can´t get rid of them.

Same with me. I bought the cassettes first and totally screwed them. Then I got the CD's. Of course the tapes are useless now, but I can't throw them away. :D The memories...

Edited by aranrod
  • Like 1

I have both long boxes and it's the items i most like in my collection

Now I'm trying to remember if TSI came in a long box? I'm thinking they would have been long gone by the time of Live Era.

I've never seen it in a long box...

No long box for TSI?.

I don't think so, no. Anybody remember the first attempt at trying to replace the long box? It was the "digi-pak". It was a sort of cardboard CD case that folded out into a long box. Even those had come and gone by the time TSI? was released if I remember right.

No long box for TSI?.

I don't think so, no. Anybody remember the first attempt at trying to replace the long box? It was the "digi-pak". It was a sort of cardboard CD case that folded out into a long box. Even those had come and gone by the time TSI? was released if I remember right.

Longboxes were designed to make the CD bigger to prevent theft. Digipaks were just different jewel cases, they weren't intended to replace longboxes.

No long box for TSI?.

Longboxes were designed to make the CD bigger to prevent theft. Digipaks were just different jewel cases, they weren't intended to replace longboxes.

There's a variant of the digipak that I'm talking about. It folded out out into a make shift long box, then folded up after purchase. I'll find an example of what I was talking about a post it.

^^interesting, never knew that! it would be great to see a photo. and yea apparently the longbox was made so retailers could display CDs in LP racks, not to prevent theft as I had thought!

Well, it was a bit of both actually. Both the blister packs and long boxes served the benefit of being anti theft devices as well as fitting into the LP shelves.

This is a terrible picture, but it's the best I could come up with:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INXS-Welcome-To-Wherever-You-Are-RARE-ECO-PAK-CD-NM-A-FREE-US-SHIPPING-/310782372732?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item485c12ab7c

I searched for that album because I remember having it in the type of packaging I was talking about. It's hard to tell from that photo, but the way it folded, it stood at about the same height as a long box. Then when you bought it, you pulled the shrink wrap off, folded it up and it was the same size as other digi-paks and jewel cases.

I was 8 years old at the time LOL My mother bought UYI 2 cassette and I secretly listened to it while she was at work..Since it had parental advisory sticker and she probably would not let me listen to it :lol:

The sound and lyrics were so fascinating that I kept coming back over and over again and knew I was hooked for this band :headbang: :headbang:

Edited by gunnari

No long box for TSI?.

I was stating it that there wasn't one. Haha, sorry. With the question mark it looked like a question.

No long box for TSI?.

I was stating it that there wasn't one. Haha, sorry. With the question mark it looked like a question.

Haha, I totally get that now! Sorry for the tangent on CD packaging that followed haha.

^^interesting, never knew that! it would be great to see a photo. and yea apparently the longbox was made so retailers could display CDs in LP racks, not to prevent theft as I had thought!

Well, it was a bit of both actually. Both the blister packs and long boxes served the benefit of being anti theft devices as well as fitting into the LP shelves.

This is a terrible picture, but it's the best I could come up with:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INXS-Welcome-To-Wherever-You-Are-RARE-ECO-PAK-CD-NM-A-FREE-US-SHIPPING-/310782372732?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item485c12ab7c

I searched for that album because I remember having it in the type of packaging I was talking about. It's hard to tell from that photo, but the way it folded, it stood at about the same height as a long box. Then when you bought it, you pulled the shrink wrap off, folded it up and it was the same size as other digi-paks and jewel cases.

Oh, yes. I got a few of those from NIN.