GNR Surprise gig at Whiskey 88

sword&tulipz

Really awesome! They were magic!

I wish I had gone on one of these shows in the 80s

So do I. I so wish I could've seen that show. Yeah, the sheer magic. But the Whiskey was a bit too far away for me. They performed in my country in 1987, Amsterdam. I didn't know about it as there was hardly any publicity. So they played for a a crowd of 65 (!) people. When I found out I was pulling my hair!! What a missed chance, only 65 people in the audience!

10636031504_659e4f9bbf_o.jpg

1.21.88 Hollywood, CA

Source: The Cathouse, Hollywood, CA

Date: January 21st, 1988.

Sound Quality: B

Time Disc 1: 51:29

Time Disc 2: 30:53

uM > uR > analog gen 2 CDR

Disc 1

Intro

It's So Easy

Move To The City

Mr. Brownstone

Out Ta Get Me

Used To Love Her

Patience

Sweet Child O' Mine

My Michelle

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Knockin' On Heaven's Door [cont.]

Disc 2

Band Introductions

Blues Jam

Welcome To The Jungle

Nightrain

Paradise City

Whole Lotta Rosie [w/ Vince Neil]

So do I. I so wish I could've seen that show. Yeah, the sheer magic. But the Whiskey was a bit too far away for me. They performed in my country in 1987, Amsterdam. I didn't know about it as there was hardly any publicity. So they played for a a crowd of 65 (!) people. When I found out I was pulling my hair!! What a missed chance, only 65 people in the audience!

Oh my god! This show must had been amazing!

Great performance of "used to love her" at the whiskey club in 1988.

This was a surprise appearance after their first year of touring the Appetite album, which had three huge hit singles when they played this 1/10/88 gig. They showed up to help fight a lame lawsuit against Ruben at Rock City News, the Hollywood rock mag that helped a lot of people then. (I was a contributing writer with the byline of Phantom.) Adler was "sick" and didn't make it. Also on the bill was Faster Pussycat, Cathouse, The Zeros, D'Molls and Funhouse. Vince Neil came out to sing FP's encore. He was a pretty successful guy at this point and it showed when he stood beside this newer batch of L.A. rockers. This was a little bigger than the average show, but it's still a good representation of how this part of the scene looked, sounded and felt on any given night. (Tom Cruise wasn't a rocker and he was never seen at any rock shows.) MC Riki Rachtman wasn't a TV VJ yet, he was owner of The Cathouse, where FP was the ongoing house band (and singer Taime Downe was Riki's co-partner). The Cathouse is where throngs of stripper gals went to dance to hard rock songs on Thursday nights and rocker guys showed to score. These dudes would never be seen with their long hair in a mainstream pop dance club playing Michael Jackson--but at the Cathouse, some would even dance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkmiXmM4I1s

Rock n' f@#king roll!! This is and always will be Guns N' Roses.

At the 1987 Paradiso show Axl almost got in a fight with a guy in the audience. During Knockin' on heavens door this guy yelled "fuck, fuck Guns N' Roses", Axl wasn't really happy about this. Full show in audio can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2yjgdHnYJ4&list=PL0A708E0C698B4EBD

At the 1987 Paradiso show Axl almost got in a fight with a guy in the audience. During Knockin' on heavens door this guy yelled "fuck, fuck Guns N' Roses", Axl wasn't really happy about this. Full show in audio can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2yjgdHnYJ4&list=PL0A708E0C698B4EBD

10636273983_c5f46e19d4_c.jpg

Edited by aranrod