Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

would i need to watch the prequels to the originals to watch this?

Before the prequel hate derails this thread...

No, not really.

i liked the trailer to this movie but i never got around to watching star wars, was planning on watching them this weekend and then watching the new one next week.

Edited by bran

Just saw it a couple of hours ago as well. I enjoyed it and can't wait to see more, and I remember feeling like I already wanted to watch it again as soon as I got back to my place.

With that being said, tho, it isn't perfect. It does have some glaring flaws, so for those who haven't seen it yet I recommend going into it with as open of a mind as possible, and just expect a really good movie, and not the messiah that the original trilogy was. If you do that, it should still be quite enjoyable!

With the addition of The Force Awakens, here's how I rank/rate the series:

Empire Strikes Back - 5/5

Star Wars - 5/5

Return of the Jedi - 4.5/5

The Force Awakens - 4/5

Revenge of the Sith - 2/5

The Phantom Menace - 1.5/5

Attack of the Clones - 1/5

The Clones Wars (animated film which was released theatrically for some stupid reason) - 0/5

I'll go into more detail in the spoiler thread and also write an essay on it on a blog that I'll link here. Very happy I saw this, and the spoilers didn't really ruin it too much :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention before, people at my screening applauded before, during, and after the movie :P but I like in America, so...

Edited by rocknroll41

Talking to Dan about it on Facebook right now :lol:

I rank it fourth - behind Empire, Sith, and ANH, ahead of Jedi, TPM, and Clones. There's a lot the film does well, but one glaring thing I cannot look past.

What's the glaring thing you can't look past? I assume it's a spoiler so PM me. I just got back from seeing it too.

I'm home from my showing. Generally, speaking, I liked it. However, I fall in the camp that is disappointed with how derivative this one is. It's literally A New Hope 2.0 - it's shocking how similar they are, even down to the endgame of a race against time to destroy Starkiller Base. Besides that though, I have very few complaints.

The film looks stunning - it's exactly what a Star Wars film should look like 30 years after the OT. Big kudos to Abrams on the visual design. He clearly "gets" Star Wars a lot more than Star Trek.

The casting was great, and the new characters were generally really enjoyable. I loved Poe, Finn, Rey, and Snoke. I thought Adam Driver was excellent, but I was somewhat indifferent on Kylo Ren as a character. Captain Phasma did absolutely nothing for me - I'm glad they presumably killed her off. Harrison Ford stole the show though, I thought he really went above and beyond with the role this time around. John Boyega was my favorite of the new actors. I also loved BB-8, honestly more so than R2-D2.

The CGI was excellent for the most part. The only scene where it was lacking IMO was when the aliens got loose on the freighter after Han picked up the Falcon. Everywhere else it blended very naturally with the practical effects.

I had two spots where I had the biggest fucking grin in particular. First was after Han and Chewie boarded the Falcon, when Rey was freaking out over the fact that it was Han Solo and she says "Isn't this the ship that did the Kessel Run in 14 parsecs?", then Han shouts back "12 parsecs" and right as he walks into the cockpit for the first time he says "14 parsecs..." under his breath and smiles to himself, that spot in particular got to me so much. I just wanted to break down and cry I was so happy. The other one that really got me was when Poe and Finn saw each other on Yavin (Was it Yavin?) and they just looked so happy to see each other even though they only knew each other for 5 minutes. It was great that they made us feel so invested in these new characters so quickly.

All in all, a really solid effort. I wish there was more originality in the story, but I can understand why they wanted to play the first one safe. I don't want to judge it too harshly since we don't really know where it's all going yet.

I'm sure I'll think of more to say as we discuss it more.

• Like 1

Just got back and it was fucking great! A few minor complaints but fo the most part incredible and fuck the prequels. They are completely useless now haha!

This is the spoiler thread so.........

The way Han died was absolutely perfect. Someone had to die and they way they did it in my opinion was really good. I have no issues with that.

My favourite scene I think was when Kylo was trying to draw information from Rey by using the Force and she realized he couldn't and in fact turned it on him and started reading his mind.

The way this movie started was great, the way it ended was unreal. I think maybe the best ending in the franchise.

Rey was great, Finn was great and Kylo was fucking awesome I thought.

My brain is on overload but I'll try and form a more well thought out post later

*Edit: People did cheer here at the begining and throughout and dressed up. If they didn't in the UK, fuck it I don't care I'll throw Dazey his $100 :lol:

would i need to watch the prequels to the originals to watch this?

Fuck no. Throw thos ein the garabge. They add nothing. This movie fit perfectly in line with the originals. The prequels are useless.... but I digress. Seriously though they add nothing and you miss nothing by not watching them.

Edited by Bono

As I've already said in the non-spoiler thread, just saw it and thought it was great for the most part. A solid 4/5, with the biggest complain (like most others have) being that it recycled too much from the original film. I definitely like all 3 installments of the original trilogy better, but still thought this was a tone of fun and I already can't wait to see it again!

Favorite comedic moments: BB-8 giving the "thumbs up," C-3PO cock-blocking Han and Leia like he did in Empire Strikes Back, Finn going "yeah, of course I'm with the Resistance...This is what we look like." Chewy bragging to that Resistance lady and her sarcastically responding to it, and that little bit about throwing Phasma into a garbage shaft (tho her character and actions were poorly done, but I'll talk about that further down).

Favorite epic moments: The opening crawl (that text alone is better than all three prequels combined), Han's intro where he jumps into the Falcon and pulls his gun out (my theater applauded it, and rightfully so!), the ending sequence where Rey is walking up the steps (so much suspense, I and the people around me were breathing so intensely), and of course, Luke...just Luke...oh, Luke!! Oh yeah and seeing the Republic planet from the prequels get blown up was fucking awesome!

Favorite character: Poe Dameron. Even though he isn't in it much, absolutely everything he did was loveable and memorable. Hope to see much more of him in the sequels. Ben Solo/ Kylo Ren came close with his crazy temper that differentiated him from Vader and just overall intimidating presence, but it was hard to accept him as the biological genetic offspring of Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher once he had the mask off. That's not really Driver's fault, tho. He still tried his best with what he had and that was almost good enough. Finn, Rey, and BB-8 were all also very likable, but I still gotta go with Poe as my top choice and Kylo/Ben as a close second.

Least-favorite moments that tried to be comedic: None. I thought all the jokes were great.

Least-favorite moments that tried to be epic: Not necessarily Han's death itself, but just the fact that it didn't seem to have much of an impact on the other heroes as I thought it should've. Apparently there are deleted scenes of Chewy slowly coming to terms with it more and Leia giving a speech to the rest of the Resistance on Han not dying in vein. Wish they left those in. Also while I loved the way Starkiller base's destruction looked, as well as the new trench run and the way the heroes escape, and how it self-destructs, it just didn't feel "new" enough for me. In the end it will always just be Death Star 3.0 and because of that it really was not as suspenseful as it was meant to be.

Least-favorite character: Phasma, which is funny cause I already knew she and Hux weren't in it much, but I ended up liking Hux a lot more. His friction with Kylo/Ben wasn't overdone, his "Hitler-style" speech was spot on, and he didn't really sound or act as cliché and Tarkin-ish as I thought he would. Phasma, on the other hand, was fuckin useless. Especially when they have her shut down the shields and as soon as they turn away she just got up and started bitching to them instead of, you know, hitting them with a surprise attack while they were distracted with their little convo they were having there.

Overall: this movie was still great the more I reflect on it. Pacing was pretty good tho I felt there were one or two questions left unanswered that could've at least use a little more hinting at. I'm glad I ended up enjoying this movie so much regardless of the fact that I read all the spoilers beforehand. Some of the things in the leaked plot from back in May that had me worried were actually cut from the final film, and I thought that was great cause it made it more streamlined and focused, tho I really do wish those scenes about reflecting Han's death were still left in there tho. But all in all, this movie was wonderful and I really can't wait to see it again asap.

I plan to do a much more detailed review soon that I'll post on a blog and link here.

Edited by rocknroll41

The ending would have been suitable if it was a classic. If they have Luke though train Rey like Yoda next film then kill off Luke, I will not be pleased.

The film is very good (but) and I'm ashamed to admit, I did let the nostalgia overwhelm me a few times. There's too many plot holes and characters conveniently meeting/crossing paths which would be fine if there's alot happening/to get too. However it seems like there's 30 minutes missing after the final scene.

I think I need to see this again to judge it fairly. It hits alot of the right notes, but it also hits notes it doesn't need to hit in it's quest to pay tribute to the originals.

Han's death was shockingly un-impactful (is this a word?). It was too predictable and it's only purpose seems to be to make the villains look like they actually done something. Why introduce another version of a death star/base only to blow up? The bad guys are complete pussies and Kylo Ren (despite getting a cool introduction) goes down hill the minute he removes his mask. Can they really get 2 more films of a trilogy out of these villains?

The story is an afterthought, but it's still Star Wars. Superior to the prequels by default, but still... Expectations too high here.

Edited by AtariLegend

Still haven't seen it but I've got to say I disagree with A New Hope being held in such high regard. I watched it a couple of years ago having not seen it in maybe a decade. Could be barely get through it. 3CPO could not be any more annoying (on par with Jar Jar Binks), the dialogue is extremely flat (save for a few Han Solo lines), and the plot has more holes than I care to recollect. Moreover, it's just hard to align the lightsaber fight between Vader and Obi One with every other lightsaber fight in the series. The only thing it had going for it was the climax (blowing up the death star). I use to love the movie as a child and teenager, but now that I'm in my 30s, I can't see myself getting excited to watch it again.

I'd be interested to hear people's re-evaluation of A New Hope (i.e. actually watch the movie, don't base it on your memory) after seeing The Force Awakens.