Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

ROTS has some issues, namely bad, bad dialog, but it was a lot of fun, looks awesome, had a terrific villain with Palpatine, had an engaging story and a great finale. TFA dragged for much of the film, had a weak, predictable story and didn't explain a lot. Who are the First Order? Are they part of the Empire or something totally different? And who is Snoke? Is he a Sith lord? In terms of storytelling, this was as bad as J.J.'s horrid 2009 Trek shitfest.

It is fun. I'm with you on that one. But that's about all it has going for it. We all knew Palpatine was the villain way before that, so that's not really that interesting. Even Palpatine was hammy in Sith. He was much more cold and calculating in the first two movies. I know TFA is missing some context about the story so far, but there's mystery and questions to be answered in a new trilogy. The prequels were already set up so we knew what was going to happen: Anakin's rise to Vader and the establishment of the Empire. It wasn't a big shocker, and Lucas still fucked it up.

I'm much more pleased with Snoke being a mystery at this point, considering everyone already thinks he's Plagueis. I'm not saying TFA was the perfect SW film and it is missing context, but it never drags. It's non-stop action. Which isn't actually one of my favourite parts of the movie. But I don't really see how it drags. It's over before you know it. Probably the most action packed SW movie to date. I will agree that if you view this as A New Hope 2.0, then it's a bit disappointing. But there's way more than meets the eye so far. A lot of things to be curious about, which makes it a good start to the trilogy IMO.

I feel it dragged because there was too much generic action, and not enough story telling. A line or two at the start would have cleared that up, "the remnants of the Empire have regrouped as the First Order, led by Sith lord Snoke." Who is Snoke? He's just a Palpatine rip-off at this point, totally generic, like Nero from the 2009 Trek film. I feel that J.J. tried too hard to make a film like the classic trilogy and avoid the mistakes of the prequels and we are left with something half baked and forgetable. I am not a fan of J.J. Abrams. Not a bad film, but disappointing. Still, I enjoyed it and am excited for episode 8. Edited by RichardNixon

ROTS has some issues, namely bad, bad dialog, but it was a lot of fun, looks awesome, had a terrific villain with Palpatine, had an engaging story and a great finale. TFA dragged for much of the film, had a weak, predictable story and didn't explain a lot. Who are the First Order? Are they part of the Empire or something totally different? And who is Snoke? Is he a Sith lord? In terms of storytelling, this was as bad as J.J.'s horrid 2009 Trek shitfest.

It is fun. I'm with you on that one. But that's about all it has going for it. We all knew Palpatine was the villain way before that, so that's not really that interesting. Even Palpatine was hammy in Sith. He was much more cold and calculating in the first two movies. I know TFA is missing some context about the story so far, but there's mystery and questions to be answered in a new trilogy. The prequels were already set up so we knew what was going to happen: Anakin's rise to Vader and the establishment of the Empire. It wasn't a big shocker, and Lucas still fucked it up.

I'm much more pleased with Snoke being a mystery at this point, considering everyone already thinks he's Plagueis. I'm not saying TFA was the perfect SW film and it is missing context, but it never drags. It's non-stop action. Which isn't actually one of my favourite parts of the movie. But I don't really see how it drags. It's over before you know it. Probably the most action packed SW movie to date. I will agree that if you view this as A New Hope 2.0, then it's a bit disappointing. But there's way more than meets the eye so far. A lot of things to be curious about, which makes it a good start to the trilogy IMO.

I feel it dragged because there was too much generic action, and not enough story telling. A line or two at the start would have cleared that up, "the remnants of the Empire have regrouped as the First Order, led by Sith lord Snoke." Who is Snoke? He's just a Palpatine rip-off at this point, totally generic, like Nero from the 2009 Trek film. I feel that J.J. tried too hard to make a film like the classic trilogy and avoid the mistakes of the prequels and we are left with something half baked and forgetable. I am not a fan of J.J. Abrams. Not a bad film, but disappointing. Still, I enjoyed it and am excited for episode 8.

I definitely agree that a bit more storytelling would've been very useful to explore the context of what was going on behind the scenes. I still think Snoke is meant to be a mystery so far, but he could turn out to be just another villain, so we'll see. I hope the action is toned down a bit in Ep. VIII, that's for sure.

• Like 2

Carrie basically told Daisy not to be the set whore.

Don't know what that says about either of them.

dark_Giggity.gif

finished return of the jedi, it was a damn good way to end a trilogy. the ewoks are a little weird, kind of have a love/hate thing going for them. i hate the concept but i love the concept of teddy bears beating the shit out of storm troopers with stone clubs. 9/10

- leia strangling jabba the hutt to death was awesome.

- lando completely redeeming himself and becoming badass

- seemed 3cpo annoyed me less in this movie but i would still scrap his ass if i had the chance

- r2d2 much respect

- princess leia and luke being twins

- han asking leia if she loved luke and when leia says yes, han being badass saying he would step away, just for leia to drop the brother bomb on him, guess no cersei/jamie shit going on in the galaxy far far away.

- badass battle on endor, plus the air battle was cool.

- needed more emperor guy was awesome

- nice moment at the end with luke and darth vader.

i cant believe it took me this long to watch these movies, especially after buying the dvd's years ago :lol: glad i did since they were a lot of fun, kind of want to watch the prequels just to see how annakin went to the dark side. my guess something to do with leia and lukes mother? anyway i will watch the force awakens next week.

so my order goes

1. empire strikes back

2. return of the jedi

3. a new hope

Just watch them if you want to. There are far worse movies out there than the Star Wars prequels.

dark_Giggity.gif

finished return of the jedi, it was a damn good way to end a trilogy. the ewoks are a little weird, kind of have a love/hate thing going for them. i hate the concept but i love the concept of teddy bears beating the shit out of storm troopers with stone clubs. 9/10

- seemed 3cpo annoyed me less in this movie but i would still scrap his ass if i had the chance

- r2d2 much respect

- han asking leia if she loved luke and when leia says yes, han being badass saying he would step away, just for leia to drop the brother bomb on him, guess no cersei/jamie shit going on in the galaxy far far away.

i cant believe it took me this long to watch these movies, especially after buying the dvd's years ago :lol: glad i did since they were a lot of fun, kind of want to watch the prequels just to see how annakin went to the dark side. my guess something to do with leia and lukes mother? anyway i will watch the force awakens next week.

so my order goes

1. empire strikes back

2. return of the jedi

3. a new hope

Just watch them if you want to. There are far worse movies out there than the Star Wars prequels.
But those movies don't spoil the three proper Star Wars films in the way the prequels do.

dark_Giggity.gif

- r2d2 much respect

so my order goes

1. empire strikes back

2. return of the jedi

3. a new hope

Told you you'd learn to love Lando :awesomeface:

dark_Giggity.gif

- r2d2 much respect

so my order goes

1. empire strikes back

2. return of the jedi

3. a new hope

But those movies don't spoil the three proper Star Wars films in the way the prequels do.

In the grand scheme of life, neither do the prequels, really. If you invest so much of your life in movies, maybe. But I've got other things going on than to be angry at a movie or group of movies for the rest of my life.

dark_Giggity.gif

- r2d2 much respect

so my order goes

1. empire strikes back

2. return of the jedi

3. a new hope

"Well, look at you! A general, huh?"

‘Force Awakens’ Rises On Saturday Night; Opening Weekend Record Now At $238M-$244M – Late Night Update

by Anthony D'Alessandro and Anita Busch
December 20, 2015 12:02am

10TH UPDATE, Sunday 12AM: Tonight is coming in better than anticipated with industry analysts putting Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Saturday between $65.5M-$68.7M. That’s a -43% to -46% decline from Friday’s opening day record of $120.5M, which includes $57M in Thursday previews. While Force Awakens’ Saturday doesn’t beat Jurassic World‘s record, it jumps the opening weekend estimates for Episode VII back up to $238M-$244M.

“This film is so out of control, it’s like nothing anybody has seen before. Everyone thinks they have a handle on projecting this, but really they don’t,” exclaimed one rival distribution executive. As we saw with Jurassic World back in June, this stems from the fact that the statistical sampling for forecasting these record opening B.O. weekends is quite small. With Force Awakens already beating JW‘s opening weekend record, Disney now counts four highs in the list of top 10 openers: Force Awakensat No. 1, Avengers in No. 3 ($207.4M), Avengers Age of Ultron in No. 4 ($191.3M) and Iron Man 3 in fifth place ($174.1M).

While Force Awakens certainly stole plenty of money away from the competition, most titles actually saw upticks on Saturday over Friday between +38% to +72%.

Holding on to second place is 20th Century Fox’s Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip with an opening between $14M-$14.1M after getting a bit of a boost from Saturday matinees. Pic’s second day ranges between $5.5M-$5.7M, +34-39%. Universal’s R-rated Sisters was even if not down slightly from its $4.9M Friday for a third place debut of $13.3M-$13.6M. Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games: Mockingjay-Part 2 took in $2.1M-$2.3M on Saturday, in what is projected to be a fifth weekend take of $5.4M-$5.7M, down 50%-53% for a running cume of $254M. MGM/New Line’s Creed from Warner Bros. is staying strong with a cume by tomorrow of $88M and a fourth weekend of $5.1M-$5.3M, which is off 48% to 50%.

If it isn't shot for 3/D, then I don't see it in 3/D. Simple rule

Our IMAX theatre is also not 'true' IMAX, so I won't waste my money on a ticket.

Saw it in standard digital and it was very crisp and enjoyable

Can you give me an ELI5 on this "true" IMAX thing? I've seen this fact mentioned here and there on Reddit, and I don't really understand it.

Looks like IMAX is 70mm, fake IMAX is digital.

http://www.slashfilm.com/qa-imax-theatre-real-imax-liemax/

I read that article (As well as a couple more sources) to try and figure out exactly what my theater is, and I'm more confused now than I was when I asked for an ELI5. I understand what the difference is, but I don't understand what my IMAX theater is.

The second page of that article first has a map which labels what type of IMAX theater is - that lists my local IMAX as real. Second is the link to the LF Examiner list - that lists my local theater as "1570+DIG", does this mean it is equipped to show either 15/70mm print and digital screenings? Next is the list printed right in the article of all the 70mm IMAX theaters in the country - mine is nowhere to be found. Wikipedia lists my local theater as a "dual projection" theater - does this refer to the digital process of 2 overlaying images, or the fact that it can screen 15/70mm or digital? And finally, I find myself thinking back to the theatrical run of Interstellar. If I remember right, if your theater was listed on the 15/70mm list, it meant it was a "true" IMAX theater (My local theater was listed as a 15/70mm venue).

However, this begs further questions. Will IMAX digital be better in a theater built for IMAX than a retrofitted theater? My local theater was built for IMAX, not retrofitted. How does IMAX 3D factor into this - is it necessarily an indicator of what type of IMAX theater it is? And finally, how does the new IMAX Laser factor into the mix? There was a lot of talk about IMAX Laser in the lead up to Star Wars and how that would be the superior way to view the film, though I've yet to see anyone explain what the benefit there is.

IMAX is making my head hurt :confused:

I'm personally glad they are leaving so many questions unanswered. It's been so long (after Empire but before Jedi) that the star wars fan base has had to wait to see what's really going to happen next. That was one of the problems with the prequels, we already knew the ending, we didn't know every detail, but we knew Anakin turns to the dark side and Papatine becomes the Emperor. From my very first viewing of Episode 1, I knew who Palpatine was, it was obvious to any real fan imo. So I kinda like that we have to wait a year and a half to see what happens next.

As for the prequels, yes they are flawed, seriously in a variety of areas (direction, dialogue, acting, etc) But I disagree with the assertion that the story they tell us not important to the overall saga. I think it is very important to understand who Anakin Skywalker was, without the prequels, you miss that entire story. Which now that we have Kylo Ren, it becomes even MORE important imo. Kylo Ten is like a bratty teenager, he wants to be big, bad, and scary like his grandpa was. But how and why they became that way is very different. Anakin dealt with real life serious issues (death of mother, fear of losing wife). Kylo on the other hand is the spoiled little rich kid with a silver spoon in his mouth, he is Han and Leias kid, he has Luke Skywalker as his uncle. He is literally in the most envied position of any kid in the galaxy. So him turning to the dark side is like the kid throwing a temper tantrum because he can't have the toy he wants, while Anakin turning was because life literally dealt him a shitty hand. That's a major difference. Yes Vader used to get upset, but he didn't smash his toys like a bratty kid like Kylo does. Understanding this difference is VERY important for the overall saga, and you have to watch the prequels in order to get this.

Beyond that, I'm fairly certain that Snoke is either Plaguis or is something very similiar. Meaning the events of the prequels may still play a role in these new films. Now I know someone is going to say "so and so said this..." but come on, everybody knows the story of the prequels, just because the OT was main refrence point does not mean that everything from the prequels was just ignored.

I read an interesting theory reguarding who Finn's parents were, one person said "I bet he is a Windu". Perhaps he is, that would explain a lot, and be an interesting turn of events. Again, you would have to watch the prequels to understand this. I personally think he is probably Lando's son, or related to Lando some way. But if he turns out to be a Windu, that would be awesome imo. They can easily take little things like that from the prequels, and they would work out well. So yes, I do feel the prequels are an important part of the overall story, and I bet they will become mandatory viewing by the time this trilogy is done.

I guess I'm missing the boat on what makes RotS such a good movie. I like it, but it's still dull and has some of the most cringeworthy moments in all of SW. I know TFA has a lot of fan service, but it's still done properly with a few context issues. RotS is a mess that makes light of the Force several times, has some of the worst love/romance scenes in cinematic history, has horrendous special effects, and then there's the dialogue. Some of these things can be overlooked and I can get on board with Anakin's thirst for power. But his character accelerates from a little bitch (and I'm not talking about Episode I) to killing children and being apprentice to a Sith in like an hour.

I don't know. I think I missed something. It's a 5/10 at best. Has some really cool parts, but that's really it. TFA is already way ahead of it.

Anakin killed children before; in AOTC. He was already a monster before ROTS.

• Like 2

Unless Windu survived the fall in ROTS. Not saying it's likely, but in the video game he did survive long enough to lose a duel with Anakin. Also there's Darth Maul. He was cut in half and fell down that hole in Theed, but he apparently survived.

Edited by luciusfunk