Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

It makes no sense. You assumed that a republic would be established with Return of the Jedi, some sort of governance and tranquility, yet you are just plunged immediately into a rebellion v something called the first order. Has this just popped up or has it been something ongoing since the end of Jedi?

I agree that TFA is a better overall film than ROTS. But ROTS does have more epic moments, in the grand scheme of things anyways. So they are close for me, but I do give the nod to TFA, but it's not WAY better imo, just slightly. If Lucas had executed the prequels differently, than ROTS would be and should be better than TFA, but as it stands TFA doesn't have any real flaws imo, I can't say the same about ROTS.

I still stand by my early assertions, I believe TFA is an 8.2/10 and ROTS is an 8/10. They are very close imo, and yes I prefer all of the light saber battles from ROTS over Rey vs Ren except for Obi wan vs Anakin (that one goes on far too long, and is a little goofy). But the other 3 from Sith are pretty epic imo. The first time I saw Sith and it pretty much opens with Dooku vs Anakin, that was awesome. The dropping the landing on Obi Wan is poorly done, I admit that, but the actual fight between Anakin and Dooku is top notch.

It makes no sense. You assumed that a republic would be established with Return of the Jedi, some sort of governance and tranquility, yet you are just plunged immediately into a rebellion v something called the first order. Has this just popped up or has it been something ongoing since the end of Jedi?

I have a feeling all of this will be addressed in the future films. They dileberarly left a lot of unaswered questions, which is a good thing imo. Why do we have to know EVERYTHING all at once?

I agree that TFA is a better overall film than ROTS. But ROTS does have more epic moments, in the grand scheme of things anyways. So they are close for me, but I do give the nod to TFA, but it's not WAY better imo, just slightly. If Lucas had executed the prequels differently, than ROTS would be and should be better than TFA, but as it stands TFA doesn't have any real flaws imo, I can't say the same about ROTS.

I still stand by my early assertions, I believe TFA is an 8.2/10 and ROTS is an 8/10. They are very close imo, and yes I prefer all of the light saber battles from ROTS over Rey vs Ren except for Obi wan vs Anakin (that one goes on far too long, and is a little goofy). But the other 3 from Sith are pretty epic imo. The first time I saw Sith and it pretty much opens with Dooku vs Anakin, that was awesome. The dropping the landing on Obi Wan is poorly done, I admit that, but the actual fight between Anakin and Dooku is top notch.

I have a feeling all of this will be addressed in the future films. They dileberarly left a lot of unaswered questions, which is a good thing imo. Why do we have to know EVERYTHING all at once?

It's just like Robot Chicken addressed. Sure Death Star 2 blown up, Emperor and Vader dead. But there's still an Empire out there. Or the remnants of one. It just doesn't pop all over the galaxy like a helium balloon and disappear.

I loved the Rey vs. Ren duel. I was emotionally invested in it and it didn't drag on like Obi Won vs. Anakin. People speculated how an untrained Jedi such as Rey can be able to hold her own. I think The Force has a very strong presence in her, much like Luke and Anakin before her and Ren was wounded by Chewbacca so that might have hindered his abilities as bit. Plus he just killed his father and saw such a strong presence in Rey that he wasn't aiming to kill her but to take her with him so he can have a fellow Force sensitive to train with.

Just had to hand out a 60 day suspension for posting spoilers in this thread.

PLEASE remember to use the spoiler thread for any and all spoiler related posts.

Thanks Russ!

Seriously guys, we're not kidding around. Many people have not seen this movie yet and this thread is meant to serve as a safe place for them. We created another thread so that anything spoiler oriented could be discussed.

Warnings were posted at the beginning of this thread and a few pages ago. There are no excuses.

• Like 1

I loved the Rey vs. Ren duel. I was emotionally invested in it and it didn't drag on like Obi Won vs. Anakin. People speculated how an untrained Jedi such as Rey can be able to hold her own. I think The Force has a very strong presence in her, much like Luke and Anakin before her and Ren was wounded by Chewbacca so that might have hindered his abilities as bit. Plus he just killed his father and saw such a strong presence in Rey that he wasn't aiming to kill her but to take her with him so he can have a fellow Force sensitive to train with.

Oh I very much liked the Rey vs Ren dual as well, and I agree that it is better than Obi Wan vs Anakin. Obi Wan vs Anakin and Obi Wan vs Vader are the two worst duals of the entire saga imo, but for very different reasons. But the other duals from the prequels I do enjoy. Yes maybe a couple are slightly too long, but overall not bad, obi vs Anakin is the only bad one.

I guess I'm missing the boat on what makes RotS such a good movie. I like it, but it's still dull and has some of the most cringeworthy moments in all of SW. I know TFA has a lot of fan service, but it's still done properly with a few context issues. RotS is a mess that makes light of the Force several times, has some of the worst love/romance scenes in cinematic history, has horrendous special effects, and then there's the dialogue. Some of these things can be overlooked and I can get on board with Anakin's thirst for power. But his character accelerates from a little bitch (and I'm not talking about Episode I) to killing children and being apprentice to a Sith in like an hour.

I don't know. I think I missed something. It's a 5/10 at best. Has some really cool parts, but that's really it. TFA is already way ahead of it.

Anakin killed children before; in AOTC. He was already a monster before ROTS.

Right. I forgot about that. My bad.

Doesn't really change my point, though. His fate is still extremely accelerated and he has the worst lines in the prequels. Anakin was just never believable in RotS or any parts of the prequels, for that matter. That's why it's easy to enjoy a character like Kylo Ren. He's believable, the acting is better, and he's not crapping himself about a woman. When you have a classic character like Anakin Skywalker already outdone by a brand new character from scratch, you know something was done wrong in the prequels. Kylo Ren feels like a monster in his own mind. Anakin feels like a total bitch.

Still, I like Sith. It's fine in its own right. It's just trash in comparison to the OT, and always will be in my mind.

I kind of wish Anakin's turn to the dark side didn't feel sudden. Slaughtering an entire village of Sand People was a good start but after that he was all hunky dory. Maybe a personal interest in the Dark Side, like he would go to Obi Wan and suggest maybe slightly using the Dark Side to seek out the Sith would be to their advantage because the entire Jedi Council can't suspect anyone. This would go unsanctioned and whether Anakin's use of the Dark Side made him want to go deeper. Once he goes too deep he can't get out of it.

Like of like Walter White, he just got greedier and more desperate.

• Like 1

A lot of praise for Ford in this film. I think he gave it all he got because he knew he was being killed off. He doesn't want to do three more films, he got a big fat check and the result is Han Solo. That was Han Solo, I was sad that he died but seeing Rey as the new Falcon pilot with Chewie will be fun to watch.

I can see why nit-pickers would call this a rehash of A New Hope, it does seem familiar but it wouldn't be a Star Wars films otherwise. It adds to the mythology, you see this series take a new direction and the new characters are very likable. Kylo is the most complex but Rey is the best of them all. I knew she was going to be the central character.

It was also brave of them to put Luke at the every end of the film. Mark Hamill didn't need to speak, he says it all in his eyes and I have to say, after rewatching the first Star Wars, he has come a long way in acting.

I like Arndt's reasoning for Luke appearing right at the very end. In a trilogy where you're introducing new characters, Luke would've immediately taken over the limelight had he been introduced sooner. So, they really had to reveal him at the end after everyone had been established, allowing for his role to flourish in Episode VIII.

• Like 2

Seeing which posts were deleted, I'm pretty sure I know who it was.

But even then, who is the forum always getting onto for not using spoiler tags?

Hollywood Reporter is saying a record $238 million opening weekend, but they say others are reporting $245 million.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-star-wars-force-850340

I'm a little surprised it beat out Jurassic World. On one hand, it's Star Wars, but on the other hand the previous December record holder hadn't even hit $100 million.

Edited by luciusfunk

Seeing which posts were deleted, I'm pretty sure I know who it was.

But even then, who is the forum always getting onto for not using spoiler tags?

Hollywood Reporter is saying a record $238 million opening weekend, but they say others are reporting $245 million.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-star-wars-force-850340

I'm a little surprised it beat out Jurassic World. On one hand, it's Star Wars, but on the other hand the previous December record holder hadn't even hit $100 million.

The fact it was Star Wars, good buzz before the film even came out, it was heavily marketed and promoted by the cast and director. And the record breaking ticket sales helped.