Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

8 hours ago, Bono said:

No reason to keep up with the times. It takes place "A long time ago"  The fact his sexuality has even become a discussion on the internet if fucking discgraceful and shows how idiotic our society has become. It's a completely irrlevant topic and does nothing to advance the story or even impact the story. It's beyond fucking stupid that it's even come up and if the makers of the future Star Wars movies feel this moronic need to address it then they can just fuck off. I don't give a rats ass what Luke's sexuality is and neither does anybody else.

Also these on going rumors of a Finn and Poe romance are asinine as well. Nobody gives  god damn flying fuck. Not even gays care to see a gay romance in Star Wars. What does it accomplish? Nothing. It's simply an embarrassing attempt to pander to a certain demographic (who doesn't even want it) based on political correctness. Star Wars isn't the moral platform to address people's sexual differences. 

Why are all of your posts always so angry?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Amir said:

3D Blu-Ray is announced to be coming at a later date, and I imagine UHD will come after that. Why settle for having your customers double-dip when you can go for the triple? ;) 

Well, it won't work on me at least. No fucking way I'm getting a standard Blu Ray for a film that was released in 3D, and was mastered in 4K. They may get the double dip out of me, depending on how much I love 4K once I get a UHD player.

7 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Well, it won't work on me at least. No fucking way I'm getting a standard Blu Ray for a film that was released in 3D, and was mastered in 4K. They may get the double dip out of me, depending on how much I love 4K once I get a UHD player.

It might not work on you but there's people right on this very forum who bought the Blu-Ray individual steelbooks despite already owning the saga boxset just for the sake of having them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Amir said:

Not the best argument, seeing as the Ancient Greeks, Ancient Egyptians, Ancient Persians, various Native American tribes with the Two-Spirit concept among, Japanese samurai, the Chinese from at least 600 BC to the mid-19th century, and so on all practiced homosexuality and/or bisexuality: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_homosexuality

If it's going to happen in Star Wars, as long as it's not shoehorned in or pandering, then I don't see the problem with it. You've got people with laser swords using magic to fight aliens, I don't see how having a man who fancies other men would be dramatically or tonally inconsistent.

The ONLY way it will happen in Star Wars is if its shoehorned in or pandering. That's the reality of it. Star Wars doesn't need romance. The original trilogy barely hd romance with Han and Leia the prequels had one of the worst romance stories of all time so to suddenly FORCE a gay relationship between Poe and Finn would just be so incredibly stupid. Nothing more than pandering to a group of people who in all honesty don't even give a shit to see it in Star Wars. 

4 hours ago, Bono said:

The ONLY way it will happen in Star Wars is if its shoehorned in or pandering. That's the reality of it. Star Wars doesn't need romance. The original trilogy barely hd romance with Han and Leia the prequels had one of the worst romance stories of all time so to suddenly FORCE a gay relationship between Poe and Finn would just be so incredibly stupid. Nothing more than pandering to a group of people who in all honesty don't even give a shit to see it in Star Wars. 

The Han and Leia romance was a big deal; the "I love you" "I know" exchange is one of the most memorable scenes from the trilogy and further cements Han's badassery. It was almost a love triangle until George decided by ROTJ to make Luke and Leia siblings, so now we have incest in the Star Wars universe.

The last Star Wars made $2 billion, I'm pretty sure a good number of that audience might be LGBT.

Star Trek was a big deal with characters like Uhura becoming a source of inspiration for people such as Mae Jemison, the first black woman in space. Star Wars had Lando in ESB, even in 1980 it was risqué to have a black man flirting with a white woman on screen, with more than half the US population being against interracial relationships until 1996.

If it's a good story, it's a good story. The story didn't suffer in TFA by having Finn be black, despite cries of pandering from many. Conversely, the new Ghostbusters looks rubbish because the story simply doesn't seem to be there from the trailer. Rey had Mary Sue tendencies but that's not down to her character being female, but poor/rushed writing (they took the script away from the original screenwriter when he said he needed 18 months to figure it out, so we ended up with a decent but not great screenplay).

10 minutes ago, Amir said:

The Han and Leia romance was a big deal; the "I love you" "I know" exchange is one of the most memorable scenes from the trilogy and further cements Han's badassery. It was almost a love triangle until George decided by ROTJ to make Luke and Leia siblings, so now we have incest in the Star Wars universe.

The last Star Wars made $2 billion, I'm pretty sure a good number of that audience might be LGBT.

Star Trek was a big deal with characters like Uhura becoming a source of inspiration for people such as Mae Jemison, the first black woman in space. Star Wars had Lando in ESB, even in 1980 it was risqué to have a black man flirting with a white woman on screen, with more than half the US population being against interracial relationships until 1996.

If it's a good story, it's a good story. The story didn't suffer in TFA by having Finn be black, despite cries of pandering from many. Conversely, the new Ghostbusters looks rubbish because the story simply doesn't seem to be there from the trailer. Rey had Mary Sue tendencies but that's not down to her character being female, but poor/rushed writing (they took the script away from the original screenwriter when he said he needed 18 months to figure it out, so we ended up with a decent but not great screenplay).

yeah but the love story between Han and Leia wasn't forced out of poltical correctness or pandering.  

Also pretty sure not one of the LGBT people who went to the new Star Wars walked out thinking "Gee there just wasn't enough gay romance in that movie for me"

Throwing gay romance into Star Wars will not advance the story in any way. There has been a  total of 2 romantic relationships in 7 Star Wars movies and yet poltical correctness is suggesting the third needs to be a gay romance? Or that the most iconic character suddenly needs to be gay? It's complete and utter bullshit and not one person in the gay community gives a flying fuck. A buddy of mine who is gay as gay can be in the most stereotypical flambouent way finds it insulting that gay material is constantly forced into movies and tv for no other reason than to pander to the LGBT demographic. A demographic that really isn't crying foul at the lack of gay characters in Star Wars. 

Star Wars should NOT be about the characters sexuality whatsoever. It's not relevant to the story in anyway and if it becomes relevant than it's a disgusting display of pandering. No parent should have to leave a Star Wars movie and rather than explain why so and so killed a certain character or how a lightsabre might work, they have to start explaining sexuality to their kids and explaining why that man kissed that man. It's just bullshit. 

If it's a good story fine but the ONLY reason they would introduce any gay character is to simply pander to and be poltically correct. Nobody gives a fuck about the characters sexuality. Nobody is sitting at home wondering if Luke and Wedge had a romance or if Luke was datung Biggs at some point. Nobody cares if Luke had a girlfriend. Sexualty of Star Wars characters isn't relevant unless to further the story. Such as Padme and Anakin(which was a fucking terribly told romance).  To simply have a gay character would mean to announce his sexuality is some embarrasingly obvious way. To introduce a gay romance would be a horrible display of pandering. 

I know what I'm saying isn't poltiically correct but what I'm saying is true. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Bono said:

yeah but the love story between Han and Leia wasn't forced out of poltical correctness or pandering.  

Also pretty sure not one of the LGBT people who went to the new Star Wars walked out thinking "Gee there just wasn't enough gay romance in that movie for me"

Throwing gay romance into Star Wars will not advance the story in any way. There has been a  total of 2 romantic relationships in 7 Star Wars movies and yet poltical correctness is suggesting the third needs to be a gay romance? Or that the most iconic character suddenly needs to be gay? It's complete and utter bullshit and not one person in the gay community gives a flying fuck. A buddy of mine who is gay as gay can be in the most stereotypical flambouent way finds it insulting that gay material is constantly forced into movies and tv for no other reason than to pander to the LGBT demographic. A demographic that really isn't crying foul at the lack of gay characters in Star Wars. 

Star Wars should NOT be about the characters sexuality whatsoever. It's not relevant to the story in anyway and if it becomes relevant than it's a disgusting display of pandering. No parent should have to leave a Star Wars movie and rather than explain why so and so killed a certain character or how a lightsabre might work, they have to start explaining sexuality to their kids and explaining why that man kissed that man. It's just bullshit. 

If it's a good story fine but the ONLY reason they would introduce any gay character is to simply pander to and be poltically correct. Nobody gives a fuck about the characters sexuality. Nobody is sitting at home wondering if Luke and Wedge had a romance or if Luke was datung Biggs at some point. Nobody cares if Luke had a girlfriend. Sexualty of Star Wars characters isn't relevant unless to further the story. Such as Padme and Anakin(which was a fucking terribly told romance).  To simply have a gay character would mean to announce his sexuality is some embarrasingly obvious way. To introduce a gay romance would be a horrible display of pandering. 

I know what I'm saying isn't poltiically correct but what I'm saying is true. 

I never advocated having a gay romance just for the sake of it.

But if it adds dramatic tension and benefits the story, then I say go for it.

With regards to Luke, I don't think his sexuality is particularly important, he could be asexual for all I care.

Padme and Anakin could have been a great tale of a tragic romance which dooms two characters, but instead it was very poorly told.

What if a kid sees two men kiss in a Star Wars film and at that moment realises s/he is gay, eliminating confusion they may have previously had? Neither you or I have grown up gay so we can't really understand what it's like, but with approximately 10% of the population being LGBT, that's a pretty decent percentage where it would not be out of place to have a single LGBT person in a wider pantheon of characters.

I cringe when I see the "token brown guy" in films where he's there for the sake of filling a quota, but when the character is well-told then I don't have a problem with it. Having a half-black/half-Latino Miles Morales replace Peter Parker as Spider-Man in the Ultimate timeline not only added dramatic tension by showing they were willing to kill off their main character, but it also fit with the demographics of present-day Queens, New York where "no racial or ethnic group holds a 50% majority", as opposed to the forced insertion of minority characters in the British TV show Midsomer Murders where it doesn't make much sense based on the 99% white demographic of the region it is set in. Morales even has a moment where he's upset where people find out the colour of his skin and praise him, instead wishing he would be judged solely on his actions (though of course this scene upset some on Tumblr). Before that when they had the alternate MC2 universe, they had Spider-Man's daughter survive childbirth and grow up to be Spider-Girl, and it became a popular title in its own right thanks to Tom DeFalco's writing, without impeding on the storyline of the mainline Spider-Man character/universe.

Having the Human Torch be black in the new Fantastic Four didn't make that film bad, it was poor storytelling and studio intervention which led to a mess of a film.

I don't see how saying "No, not once, never" to having a gay character in a Star Wars film would benefit the storytelling? There's potential for love triangles, unrequited romance, and other forms of dramatic tension in similar but different ways to having a straight character.

Just because a character is a homosexual, doesn't mean that fact has to be accompanied by a full romantic subplot.

A character could just be incidentally gay, just like many of the SW characters are incidentally straight, yet they do not get romantisubplots either. 

Really wouldn't be hard to include, or all that big of a deal

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bono said:

On 3/7/2016 at 7:40 AM, Dan H. said:

Just because a character is a homosexual, doesn't mean that fact has to be accompanied by a full romantic subplot.

A character could just be incidentally gay, just like many of the SW characters are incidentally straight, yet they do not get romantisubplots either. 

Really wouldn't be hard to include, or all that big of a deal

Yet none of these incidentally straight characters need to have their sexuality explained. To have it be known a character is gay you'd have to introduce some romance or what.... just announce the guy is gay? The only other way would be to make it obvious via stereotypical characteristics which would be insulting to the LGBT community really. In Star Wars we only know the sexuality of those involved in the romantic storylines. A character's sexuality isn't announced or touched on whether they are straight or gay so to announce a character is gay is simply pandering. Adding a gay romantic  storyline won't add a single thing to the movies. It would only be filling a quota. 

I'm not saying NEVER but what I am saying is if it's suddenly forced into this new trilogy it's very obvious they're doing it for the wrong reasons, with story telling having nothing to do with it. It's too fashionable right now and that's the only reason they'd do it. 

The other characters don't need to have their sexuality explained, because their sexuality doesn't send internet rage monsters into a panicked frenzy.

Don't worry Bono, the fags aren't going to ruin your precious Star Wars. 

Edited by Dan H.

Star Trek: The Next Generation famously tackled homosexuality in an episode called 'The Outcast', during which Riker falls in love with a member from this weird hermaphrodite alien specie, who is homosexual suis generis as male and female characteristics and sexual functions are not recognised in her totalitarian society, and she posses female-heterosexual desires (by our own society) and fallen for Number One!

Still with me?

Riker, this most masculine specimen of Starfleet, reciprocates with a bit of clandestine homosexual-hermaphrodite hanky panky.

It was a bit uncomfortable to watch but certainly very bold - the episode tends to divide Trekkies.

3 hours ago, Dan H. said:

I thought Star Trek was always pretty progressive Sci-Fi. Surprised Trekkie's get divisive over homosexuality

Well it is more about the depiction, the episode itself, rather than homophobia on behalf of the Star Trek community. Just picture the scenario. Lt. Riker who spends the best part of his life romancing beautiful green sex bombshell aliens a la Kirk before him, as well as being an old fling of Troi, falls in love - love with a capital l - with,

outcast1.jpg

She is meant to be a member of an asexual, androgynous/hermaphrodite, specie, yet has (illicit for her society) feminine traits. They tried to make her a bit more feminine than the rest of her specie I believe, make-up FX.

You have to wrap this clunker of a storyline together and make it convincing haha.

PS

This is the Riker we normally see,

rikerladies.jpg

Edited by DieselDaisy

I always thought Palpatine might prefer men. Who knows, maybe Obi Wan as well. 

Luke is certainly portrayed as preferring women. Finn was as well, as he shows disappointment when asking Rey if she had a boyfriend.

Poe; who knows? The SW galaxy is so old and huge that POW I'M A GAY CHARACTER!! shouldn't be a thing.

Edited by MrPoe

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:21 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Star Trek: The Next Generation famously tackled homosexuality in an episode called 'The Outcast', during which Riker falls in love with a member from this weird hermaphrodite alien specie, who is homosexual suis generis as male and female characteristics and sexual functions are not recognised in her totalitarian society, and she posses female-heterosexual desires (by our own society) and fallen for Number One!

Still with me?

Riker, this most masculine specimen of Starfleet, reciprocates with a bit of clandestine homosexual-hermaphrodite hanky panky.

It was a bit uncomfortable to watch but certainly very bold - the episode tends to divide Trekkies.

You know that episode never bothered me. I got the point of it though. It had Riker liking and character played by a woman. So it was not realistic. Now if it was played by a man? It may never had aired.

On 3/8/2016 at 5:59 PM, Dan H. said:

The other characters don't need to have their sexuality explained, because their sexuality doesn't send internet rage monsters into a panicked frenzy.

Don't worry Bono, the fags aren't going to ruin your precious Star Wars. 

Shut the fuck up. That's not at all what I'm worried about. I'm the least homophobic person you will ever meet. I'm talking about forcing shit into things for no other reason than to pander to a group fo people who don't even care whether a character in Star Wars is gay or not. to do so wouldn't be about story telling, only to appease a group that doesn't need or want appeasing when it comes to Star Wars character's sexuality. 

On 3/9/2016 at 11:09 PM, 31illusions said:

Well I certainly will not be supporting any Star Wars movie with gay characters in it and I will encourage others not to support it either. Trying to force Ungodly behavior on others is just wrong.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Bono

On March 9, 2016 at 1:09 AM, 31illusions said:

Well I certainly will not be supporting any Star Wars movie with gay characters in it and I will encourage others not to support it either. Trying to force Ungodly behavior on others is just wrong.

Today I learned that putting gay characters in a movie is like gay raping the audience. 

Telling you a story about characters who do something isn't the same as doing that thing to you. Otherwise OJ's been murdering audiences on FX these last couple months, and House of Cards just made me president.