ITG

Bumblefoot, Ashba, Robin, and Fortus

lol

Thomas Erak of The Fall of Troy

Dave Knudson of Botch and Minus the Bear

Adam Fisher of Orbs and Fear Before

John Ferrara of Trophy Scars

Good picks. Also cool to see someone else who listens to Minus the Bear

I can think of a couple who don't get enough props these days. Gary Moore, Doug Aldrich, Reb Beach, Hide, Pata, Steve Morse, Janick Gers, Steve Gaines, Allen Collins, Leo Kotke, Bert Jansch, Brian Robertson, Eric Bell, John Sykes, Snowy White, Dave Kilminster, G.E. Smith, Jesse Cook, Colin James, Jeff Healy, Jake E. Lee.

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 1

I can think of a couple who don't get enough props these days. Gary Moore, Doug Aldrich, Reb Beach, Hide, Pata, Steve Morse, Janick Gers, Steve Gaines, Allen Collins, Leo Kotke, Bert Jansch, Brian Robertson, Eric Bell, John Sykes, Snowy White, Dave Kilminster, G.E. Smith, Jesse Cook, Colin James, Jeff Healy, Jake E. Lee.

great list, especially steve gaines.

Bumblefoot, Ashba, Robin, and Fortus

lol

I would say that 4tus is legitimately underrated.

I like Bumblefoot and especially Robin, but I don't think they're actually underrated.

Robin has a lot of respect, probably around what he deserves. He's a very interesting and talanted guitarist.

4tus is good. But he isn't spectacular or unique I don't think. He's probably the best guitar player in GNR right now though.

A lot of you are confusing underrated with "not mainstream popular." 4tus, Gaines, Mars are definitely underrated. Almost everyone else listed in this thread is just not popular in the mainstream.

Doug Aldrich, Bumblefoot, Jake E. Lee, Steve Morse, they aren't underrated, they just aren't acknowledged as mainstream guitar heroes. I'd say all four of those guys are more technically proficient (and probably better all around guitarists) than Jimmy Page or Brian May or Robby Krieger, etc. But, people like Page, May, Krieger get rated so highly because the bands they were in became icons of the time. Not to say those guy couldn't play, they were/are terrific guitar players.

I'm happy to see that no one has mentioned Lindsey Buckingham as being underrated (as so many try to claim), because he is currently appropriately rated.

Edited by OmarBradley

Guest Len B'stard

Apparently he never used a pick, very flamenco influenced. The Doors are actually all underrated at their particular thing except Jimbo. John Densmores drumming is sublime.

Jimmy Page shouldn't be compared to Brian May and Robby Krieger (I get your point, but the three of them are not comparable). Page was light years better than they were and he's not really overrated because the guy was a monster. He knew how to play his shit. Compare that to Brian May, who generally played the same thing over and over again (not a knock to him) or Robby Krieger who, let's face it, isn't even on the same level as them.

Its fair to say the four you listed are better all around guitarists than those two, but none of them even touch Page. I don't think any of them are technically more proficient or all around better than Jimmy, who is legitimately one of the greatest guitar players and actually gets rated as such. Compared to the people he's usually rated with like Keith Richards or The Edge who so far below him.

Lastly, not a Metallica fan, but Kirk Hammett is extremely underrated. I think that fits the qualifications, as I'm not saying he doesn't get enough mainstream exposure, because he does, and his skills are still severely under-appreciated. Not saying he's some trailblazer, but he doesn't get as much credit as he should, and thats coming from someone that couldn't give two shits about Metallica.

Jimmy Page shouldn't be compared to Brian May and Robby Krieger (I get your point, but the three of them are not comparable). Page was light years better than they were and he's not really overrated because the guy was a monster. He knew how to play his shit. Compare that to Brian May, who generally played the same thing over and over again (not a knock to him) or Robby Krieger who, let's face it, isn't even on the same level as them.

Its fair to say the four you listed are better all around guitarists than those two, but none of them even touch Page. I don't think any of them are technically more proficient or all around better than Jimmy, who is legitimately one of the greatest guitar players and actually gets rated as such. Compared to the people he's usually rated with like Keith Richards or The Edge who so far below him.

Lastly, not a Metallica fan, but Kirk Hammett is extremely underrated. I think that fits the qualifications, as I'm not saying he doesn't get enough mainstream exposure, because he does, and his skills are still severely under-appreciated. Not saying he's some trailblazer, but he doesn't get as much credit as he should, and thats coming from someone that couldn't give two shits about Metallica.

Brian May is technically better then Page. Page is very sloppy, but he's still brilliant. Brian May doesn't play the same thing over and over again. His tone, phrasing, and melodic instincts are superb.

Edited by Rovim