Underrated Guitarists that are actually underrated

ITG

I have "Last Concert in Japan" LP from th Bolin era DP

It is an o.k. album but Bolin fucked up his arm in Indonesia shooting junk and could only play basic chords so Jon Lord had to carry the load that show...not a terrible concert but Tommy is just a shadow of himself that show.............

Edited by classicrawker

I love all the Ritchie incarnations of DP but agree MB that some of Ritchie's most amazing guitar work is on the Rainbow albums. I just reread an excellent article on DP in the October 2012 edition of Classic Rock magazine where , Axl fan's favorite music journalist, Mick Wall wrote that during the making of the Fireball album Ritchie had some ideas for melodies that Ian Gillian did not want to work with. Wall writes that this frustrated Ritchie as he wanted more control over his music and he finally had that with Rainbow and was able to express whatever he wanted producing some amazing music we may never have seen from DP................

There is an official live Rainbow box set titled "Deutschland Tournee 1976" which includes 3 complete concerts mixed from the mutlitrack tapes which is a must for any Ritchie and Rainbow fan. It is OOP now but you can pick it up for a decent price on Amazon or ebay if you are patient............the individual shows are still available on CD, but pricey, so that is another way to collect them.......

If I wanted one DP release it would be the "Made in Japan" live album but also highly recommended is the Coverdale/ Hughes Mk IV band title "Live in Paris 1975". It is Ritchie's last show before he left for Rainbow and his playing is amazing in this concert.

Edited by classicrawker

Dio had said he was up for it before his tragic death but I don't know if Ritchie would ever do another reunion with DP or Rainbow as he seems very happy with Blackmore's Night..............

yeah i remember reading stuff on dio saying he would do it. blackmores night is alright but it is not deep purple or rainbow. it just seems that is what he wants to do with the rest of his days it seems(their latest album kind of sucks :lol:)

I agree I would love to see another DP reunion of the Mk II or even MK III band, as I was lucky enough to have seen both live back in the day, but I think Ritchie has earned the right to slowly fade into the sunset playing the kind of music he seems to love now..........

Considering how much he and Ian Gillian hate each other and how much Ritchie supposedly even hates David Coverdale I think an Axl/ Slash reunion may be more likely these days............. :lol:

Edited by classicrawker

I agree I would love to see another DP reunion of the Mk II or even MK III band, as I was lucky enough to have seen both live back in the day, but I think Ritchie has earned the right to slowly fade into the sunset playing the kind of music he seems to love now..........

The scary thing is, as good as Ritchie was at hard rock shred. He's just as good, if not better on the acoustic. These are not Jewel/Joni Mitchell-type strum n' hum songs he's putting out there.

Edited by moreblack