What do we know about Riad?

Lies They Tell

So Axl talked about Riad in the alternative CD booklet:

"Riad is the name my one time momentary brother in law and the former brother in law of Erin Everly, went by when i knew him. Of part Lebanese descent and a former student of Pepperdine University, he claims to be an international arms dealer, billionaire with ambitions of being "king of the world". He claims to fund several medical organizations and underground Nazi organizations around the world who says his heroes are Napolean and Adolph Hitler. He claims his most prized asset is his anonymity. He also claims to be an expert in military strategy, and was the inspiration for the guns song Civil War, which was written per his request for a song how "people were stupid and he could sell them anything because men love to kill each other". He also claims to be an expert in global finance and money laundering. Living tax free in Belair last I was aware, and claiming to launder monies for wealthy individuals in several countries predominantly Saudi Arabia and the Middle East. With ties to the Bush / Regan administrations and wherever theres a war in the world at any given moment "

According to Axl the whole album was made because people like Riad exist:

This album wasn't made so much for myself,
money, ego or fame. It was made because
Riad and those like him exist, no one seems
to care or have any idea how to approach
such a complex reality and unfortunately
we all suffer.

He also mentions Riad in this letter to Erin:

lot153228.jpg

But seriously who is that guy and who are the bedouins? They had a plan and thought they'd win, but what was their plan? Do we know anything else about Riad? Rumours or anything?

So Axl talked about Riad in the alternative CD booklet:

sorry if I'm not up to date, but can I get a hold of this alternative CD booklet you are quoting?

thanks

It's in the Red Hand version of the album. Unless you luck out and find one, and are willing to shell out hundreds of dollars, then you can find scans of it online.

• 1 year later...

It's a shame they never played it live again. It IS the worst song on Chinese Democracy but still, they played every song BUT Riad in '09.

Scraped is the worst song on CD. Riad is amazing.

Agreed.

Riad is the only true real rocking type song on the album.

One of my favorites.

Bumblefoot: The first time I met [Axl], he came down to a rehearsal and we jammed to the song "Riad" and he was yelling in my ear, "This part of the song reminds me of 'Hey Bulldog' from the Beatles." I was like, "Yeah, you're right." [ultimate Guitar, July 2014]

It's a shame they never played it live again. It IS the worst song on Chinese Democracy but still, they played every song BUT Riad in '09.

Scraped is the worst song on CD. Riad is amazing.

Agreed.

Riad is the only true real rocking type song on the album.

One of my favorites.

Poor choice of words on my part. Scraped is my least favourite song on CD.

Get some background singers and This song would be awesome live.

It honestly had some of his best vocals on CD in this song, and if I were to bet I would say cd2 sounds like riad. It's a great mix of agression and calmness. Weird song in that sense but cd2 probably has much more of this. They are likely songs that are difficult to play live also, which may or may not be a reason for no cd2 yet. Axl is 53. This song seems out of his range now.

Get some background singers and This song would be awesome live.

It honestly had some of his best vocals on CD in this song, and if I were to bet I would say cd2 sounds like riad. It's a great mix of agression and calmness. Weird song in that sense but cd2 probably has much more of this. They are likely songs that are difficult to play live also, which may or may not be a reason for no cd2 yet. Axl is 53. This song seems out of his range now.

I agree. Riad seems to be a mystical cross pollination of rock star vessel and visionary intellect but with barbaric undertones originating from what amounts to the basis of the savagery in our species. Much like the protagonist author himself Its uplifiting in spiritual fortitude yet unflinchingly fatalistic in methodology. The biggest thing I take away from its overarching narrative and microcosmic machinations; to be the man you gotta beat the man.

Edited by Mr. Dude