SPRINGSTEEN ANNOUNCES NEW RECORD! High Hopes - Jan 14th, 2014

axlslash

Downbound Train is pretty good. After the run of Greetings, E Street Shuffle, Born To Run, Darkness, The River, and Nebraska, though, that record on the whole is pretty weak sauce IMO. Bruce has never been a pop artist in my mind, and that record was as far away from rock as his career has ever gotten. There isn't one song on that album that I would prefer to hear over any song from any record preceeding it in concert. That's just my opinion, though. That's the wonderful thing about Bruce: his catalog is so diverse that all kinds can go to his show and go home happy!

Live 75-85, if anything. I grew up hearing that record in snippets. What really did it was The Rising, mostly because that was the tour I first saw him on. I guess the most accurate answer is probably Darkness. My first show opened with Adam Raised a Cain, and (after Lonesome Day and The Rising), it was the opening notes of the 4th song that pulled me in forever: Prove It All Night. Born to Run is definitely my favorite album, but Prove It and the entire Darkness album will always have that special place for me.

I think Born in the USA has a few forgettable songs ("Darlington County" being the worst followed by "Working on the Highway" and "I'm Goin' Down"), but I think it's got some really good songs. "My Hometown", "Bobby Jean", "Cover Me", and especially "Downbound Train" are great songs. I'd agree it's probably his worst album up to that point, though.

The River is full of filler and crap lyrics. His worst album despite the great title track

It has a couple less-than-stellar cuts, but I totally disagree. Point Blank, Price You Pay, I'm A Rocker, You Can Look, Drive All Night...those are hardly "filler." Yeah, Out In The Street and Hungry Heart showed inklings of the Born in the USA pop bug, but overall it's a record that'd be any other artist's best record.

I know my hatred of Born in the USA makes me sound snobbish, but I just don't get the over the top 80s sound coming from Bruce. It is a phenomenal pop record. Possibly the best of the last 30 years. It's just not my style. Downbound Train and Im Going Down with a less synth-heavy, more Darkness style arrangement would be pretty great, and My Hometown is a gem. The first show I caught, they had the synth so far down in the mix for Dancing that it made it a whole new song (and I really really loved it, just a hard driving rock song that way).

the songs on the river have terrible lyrics, easily the worst lyrics of any album of his

cadillac ranch is embarrassing...as is you can look but you better not touch--

the album is just full of awful songwriting 101 lyrics

born in the usa certainly isn't up there among his best but it's miles better than the river

i'd put the river last place if i'd list his albums and there'd be a big gap between the next "worst" one

Live 75-85, if anything. I grew up hearing that record in snippets. What really did it was The Rising, mostly because that was the tour I first saw him on. I guess the most accurate answer is probably Darkness. My first show opened with Adam Raised a Cain, and (after Lonesome Day and The Rising), it was the opening notes of the 4th song that pulled me in forever: Prove It All Night. Born to Run is definitely my favorite album, but Prove It and the entire Darkness album will always have that special place for me.

At some point, he should put the "55" out. The traders & fans already decided on the must haves. They'll probably pick another "55" of the later era when the time comes.

The River is full of filler and crap lyrics. His worst album despite the great title track

It has a couple less-than-stellar cuts, but I totally disagree. Point Blank, Price You Pay, I'm A Rocker, You Can Look, Drive All Night...those are hardly "filler." Yeah, Out In The Street and Hungry Heart showed inklings of the Born in the USA pop bug, but overall it's a record that'd be any other artist's best record.

I know my hatred of Born in the USA makes me sound snobbish, but I just don't get the over the top 80s sound coming from Bruce. It is a phenomenal pop record. Possibly the best of the last 30 years. It's just not my style. Downbound Train and Im Going Down with a less synth-heavy, more Darkness style arrangement would be pretty great, and My Hometown is a gem. The first show I caught, they had the synth so far down in the mix for Dancing that it made it a whole new song (and I really really loved it, just a hard driving rock song that way).

It was pretty remarkable that he, Rod Stewart, The Rolling Stones, and Billy Joel had success through music video, but I think most of them were making videos before MTV existed, and it was because they wanted to promote in countries that was too expensive and out of the way to get to. Bruce going with a director like Brian DePalma was probably because Michael Jackson had used a known director. He was never comfortable lip syncing, and that's probably why some of the videos are him singing live.

Full album shows were GREAT. I went to the last two shows at the old Spectrum in Philly. Back to back nights, Born to Run one night, Born in the USA the next. I can't stand Born In The USA and its poppy overuse of the synth, but it was still neat to see all the way through in concert. Plus I'll never complain about being guaranteed My Hometown in any show, even at the cost of shit like I'm Goin' Down, Dancing in the Dark, and Cover Me.

Full album shows were indeed great. My favourite was still Greetings in Buffalo in 2009. Not to mention it was Clarence's last show. That show will always hold a special place in my heart. Glad I made that trip to Buffalo.

Full album shows were GREAT. I went to the last two shows at the old Spectrum in Philly. Back to back nights, Born to Run one night, Born in the USA the next. I can't stand Born In The USA and its poppy overuse of the synth, but it was still neat to see all the way through in concert. Plus I'll never complain about being guaranteed My Hometown in any show, even at the cost of shit like I'm Goin' Down, Dancing in the Dark, and Cover Me.

Full album shows were indeed great. My favourite was still Greetings in Buffalo in 2009. Not to mention it was Clarence's last show. That show will always hold a special place in my heart. Glad I made that trip to Buffalo.

Couldn't be more jealous. My highest point that tour was the first Higher And Higher, a sign request after Born to Run at the last Philly show. It wound up being the show-closer for every show for the rest of the tour, including the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame 25th Anniversary show, and I got to see the band make it up on the spot.

Couldn't be more jealous. My highest point that tour was the first Higher And Higher, a sign request after Born to Run at the last Philly show. It wound up being the show-closer for every show for the rest of the tour, including the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame 25th Anniversary show, and I got to see the band make it up on the spot.

That's so awesome! Higher and Higher was such a great song in the encores that tour...I don't think he played it once on the Wrecking Ball tour... maybe Bruce will break it out every now and then on the High Hopes tour hopefully... it's a classic.

I saw him three times in Stockholm last year, I got Born To Run #1, Darkness On The Edge Of Town #2 and Born In The USA #3. Second and third night were the best.

Bobby Jean, man... it's such a perfect pop song. The perfect song about a lost friend.

Maybe you'll be out there on that road somewhere

On some bus or train, traveling along

In some motel room, there'll be a radio playing

And you'll hear me sing your song

If you do you'll know I'm thinking of you

And all the miles in between

And I'm just calling one last time, not to change your mind

Just to say I miss you baby

Good luck... goodbye

That last part followed by that sax solo... Goodluck, goodbye... gets me every damn time. :(

• Like 1

that's my favourite Youtube-video of all time, no joke

i watch it at least ten times per week

Mine too. Every time I watch it, I just think "holy fuck I was there." In some ways I remember it super clearly, in others it's a blur. Easily the best single song I've ever seen performed in concert.

Absolutely magnificent cover. SO much better live than on the record. Love the tune, love the cover, and can't wait for some US dates to bring it out for us! My only complaint with the video is the live performance choice. If you're gonna do it, find a way to deal with the fact that Stevie is singing backup...but he's not there...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...