SPRINGSTEEN ANNOUNCES NEW RECORD! High Hopes - Jan 14th, 2014

axlslash

Gotta admit I'm not really digging High Hopes that much. A few good songs, but for the most part I can't get into it. I hope Tom Morello doesn't become a regular thing.

I kind of wish he'd do away with some of the extra layers with whatever new music he releases in the future. His music has always had a lot of layers (well not always, but rather since his earliest albums), but the drum loops, choirs, some of the more "marginal" instruments, voice-altering techniques, and now Tom Morello feel excessive.

What do you guys think?

I don't think Morello really suits Bruce's songs.

The big solo in The Ghost Of Tom Joad for example sounds really out of place to me, like putting a big Buckethead shred solo in the middle of a Leonard Cohen song or something...

Edited by DR DOOM

Morello fits in some songs and some he doesn't. Love his parts in the Ghost of Tom Joad, High Hopes and Heaven's Wall. There are some songs done live that I'm not a fan of his style, but I don't think that he's that out of place. Seems like a similar reaction people had when Nils replaced Steve for the Born in the USA/Tunnel of Love tours.

Gotta admit I'm not really digging High Hopes that much. A few good songs, but for the most part I can't get into it. I hope Tom Morello doesn't become a regular thing.

I kind of wish he'd do away with some of the extra layers with whatever new music he releases in the future. His music has always had a lot of layers (well not always, but rather since his earliest albums), but the drum loops, choirs, some of the more "marginal" instruments, voice-altering techniques, and now Tom Morello feel excessive.

What do you guys think?

I like the modern touches. I'd rather see Nils and Bruce himself handle all the guitar solos the next time around but Morello's work on HH is pretty good.

Biggest benefit is Aniello being a great producer, I could only dream about Magic with the same sound quality as High Hopes ;_;

Holy fuck, Bruce played Brisbane last night and...

CAPS indicated tour premieres.

01. STAYIN' ALIVE (Bee Gees cover)
02. IT'S HARD TO BE A SAINT IN THE CITY
03. DOES THIS BUS STOP AT 82ND STREET
04. Growin' Up
05. Spirit in the Night
06. High Hopes
07. Just Like Fire Would
08. YOU CAN LOOK (BUT YOU BETTER NOT TOUCH) (Sign Request)
09. Sherry Darling (Sign Request)
10. Save My Love (Sign Request)
11. FADE AWAY (Sign Request)

The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle full album
12. The E Street Shuffle
13. 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)
14. Kitty's Back
15. WILD BILLY'S CIRCUS STORY
16. INCIDENT ON 57TH STREET
17. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
18. NEW YORK CITY SERENADE (w/ strings)

19. Darlington County
20. Waitin' on a Sunny Day
21. The Rising
22. The Ghost of Tom Joad
23. Badlands

Encore
24. Glory Days
25. Born to Run
26. Bobby Jean
27. Dancing in the Dark
28. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
29. Highway to Hell (w/ Eddie Vedder)

30. Thunder Road (solo acoustic)

Dat setlist.

What do you guys think?

it's a pretty forgettable record, which its concept reeked of when it was announced: something thrown together with new renditions of old songs (which is almost worse, really, than just releasing the original versions of the old songs in some ways), quickly assembled to support a tour, which is where all the money is.

i mean, i'm not hating. it is what it is. some of the tracks are pretty good. but it's obviously not a 'real' album in the sense that Magic or Wrecking Ball were.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not a real fan of High Hopes. I like half the album, but then again half of THOSE songs are older material we already know. So I like about 6 songs, 3 of which are the title track, 41 Shots and Tom Joad which aren't really new.

His concerts this year though were off the charts. It really makes almost every other major band seem irrelevant in this day and age.

Don't know why I haven't seen this thread until now. Huge Springsteen fan and it'd be cool to see what most GNR fans like from his albums. They aren't exactly that similar.

If I was super rich I would just follow Bruce and the band on tour, see 30 shows each tour.

I used to think I'd do that for Axl, but even if I was a millionaire I'd rather spend the money on Bruce.

It's worth it because you get very different setlists. Springsteen, Pearl Jam, The Black Crowes, they're worth following.

If I was super rich I would just follow Bruce and the band on tour, see 30 shows each tour.

I used to think I'd do that for Axl, but even if I was a millionaire I'd rather spend the money on Bruce.

It's worth it because you get very different setlists. Springsteen, Pearl Jam, The Black Crowes, they're worth following.

Yeah, seen Springsteen 3 times, will see him again, seeing Pearl Jam for first time in July.

Yeah, seen Springsteen 3 times, will see him again, seeing Pearl Jam for first time in July.

I would love to see Pearl Jam, never have, but it's all the way in Milton Keynes. I don't know why they're not playing London. I might put an effort into this and go but it's complicated.

I would love to see Pearl Jam, never have, but it's all the way in Milton Keynes. I don't know why they're not playing London. I might put an effort into this and go but it's complicated.

You live in London as well? I saw doors open at 16:00, so I'm guessing the gig will be over in time to get a train back.

I ended up seeing Bruce Springsteen a few weeks ago and it was the best concert I'd ever been to. Two concerts I went to actually, different set list both nights. First night he played the Born In The USA album start to finish, next night it was the Born To Run album. He kicked off both shows with his version of Lorde's song Royals. It got some negative reviews but I loved it, if I hadn't heard the original then I would have thought it was one of his songs. Setlists for both nights are below.

First show

Royals
My Love Will Not Let You Down
Badlands
Out In The Street
Loose Ends
Wrecking Ball
Death To My Hometown
08 High Hopes
09 Atlantic City
The River
Born In The U.S.A.