SPRINGSTEEN ANNOUNCES NEW RECORD! High Hopes - Jan 14th, 2014

axlslash

Just gave it my first playthrough, enjoyed it more than I thought I would, especially the new recording of Ghost of Tom Joad, which I thought I'd hate but I may actually like more than the original acoustic version. Favourite song off the album is probably Down in the Hole. Not a fan of the new version of American Skin (41 Shots), though :/

Were you at the 2012 Hyde Park show? They did The Ghost of Tom Joad with Tom Morello and it was incredible, one of the highlights of the night, and it was essentially this version. I like it way better than the acoustic version.

Unfortunately, no :( Last year was the first time I saw Bruce (Wembley, Hard Rock Calling, and Rock in Rio). I was thinking of going to the Sao Paolo gig and decided against it, had a look at the setlist the other night and was kicking myself: The River, Because the Night, and American Skin, the 3 songs I still really want to hear live, all played at that gig, and back-to-back!

I've been listening to this record since Amazon leaded it last week. Overall, it's a really nice piece. It's not your typical Springsteen record, which has a narrative and a cohesive style. It's a nice eclectic mix of songs. The obvious highlights are Down In The Hole, Frankie Fell in Love, Heaven's Wall, the covers, and the "old" songs (American Skin and Joad). Morello's guitar adds so much to the sound on this record. I'm sorry to see Steve effectively sidelined for the moment (barely on this record, not going to be at any of the currently-scheduled tour dates due to Lillyhammer commitments), but if Little Steven can't be there, I'm cool with the Nightwatchman joining up. I haven't gotten to see the electric version of Tom Joad live yet, and that new solo on American Skin will be amazing live.

My only complaint with this record: Ron Aniello's obsession with drum loops. Dream Baby Dream is SO much better without them (see any bootleg from the Devils and Dust tour), and the little spots where they pop up are generally just annoying. Those loops are the only thing about Wrecking Ball I didn't like, and probably the same is true here. I'd rather get Brendan O'Brien back in there and cut this loop crap. I know these last two were solo records and not E Street records, but honestly, with Mighty Max ready and waiting, why use a machine?

Say what you want about the drum loops, but Aniello is a hell of a lot better at mixing than BoB. Magic is one of Bruce's best records and the production is awful. Aniello is a great producer from a pure audio standpoint.

Agreed. Magic is my favourite post-Reunion era album, but like you said, the production is friggin horrible.

I listened to the last album a good bit when it was out, but didn't give any of the older stuff a try. I read nothing but great things about his live shows, and with this new record out I think I'm gonna try to give it a listen, as well as the back catalog and hopefully see him once or twice on the next tour.

I listened to the last album a good bit when it was out, but didn't give any of the older stuff a try. I read nothing but great things about his live shows, and with this new record out I think I'm gonna try to give it a listen, as well as the back catalog and hopefully see him once or twice on the next tour.

Check out his Hyde Park Calling DVD BS. It'll blow you away. Really great gig! Do that first.

Studio:

Born to run

Darkness on the edge of town

The river

Born in the USA

The rising

Springsteen fans are getting PISSED about 40 dollar concert downloads. From what I read, they're mostly intended for people who went to the show and wanted a soundboard souvenir. I will bet Team Brazil are going to have discussions about doing this, maybe for a little less, though. I'm on the fence about it. It's a bit high, but you get to have a soundboard of the show you went to, and it's about what you'd pay for a t-shirt.

I'm sure the different entities involved in swag drove the price up.

Just don't letDJ Ashba see it, he'll turn it into custom Ashbaswag GNR USB wristbands.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bruce-springsteen-formalizes-plans-for-instant-live-bootlegs-20140117

$40?! That is pretty steep, but I did pay £20 for Slash: Live in Manchester (it wasn't an impulse buy at that price, though). Couldn't believe how fast they made them, got it 10 mins after the gig ended, and I was in a pretty big queue, too. Mixing was great, the only problem with the CD was that the beginning few seconds of a song would be on the end of the previous track. I bought the MP3 download for the Metallica gig I went to back in Feb '09, think that was only $10, but I've lost it in the years since and don't think I can redownload it. Didn't bother doing the same for 2nd time I saw them. With GNR, I would pay for the O2 2010 Duff gig (which has a pretty decent audio boot anyway), and maybe the Paris 2010 gig, but apart from that I can't think of any out of the gigs I've been to.

Dad got me the Hyde Park Calling Blu-Ray for Xmas, pretty good, love the performance of Because the Night. I went to Hard Rock Calling last year and while I had a great time at the gig, there were a lot of sound issues, to the point where even I noticed them and I don't normally notice these things. The intro to Born to Run was really muted, took me a few seconds to realise what song it was, and that never happens with that track. The crowd was pretty lame compared to Wembley, too. Odd choice as a bonus for High Hopes, the performance of Darkness on the Edge of Town from Wembley would have been cooler.

Check out his Hyde Park Calling DVD BS. It'll blow you away. Really great gig! Do that first.

Good advice. You don't need to watch it either, you can just download an audio version.

Dad got me the Hyde Park Calling Blu-Ray for Xmas, pretty good, love the performance of Because the Night. I went to Hard Rock Calling last year and while I had a great time at the gig, there were a lot of sound issues, to the point where even I noticed them and I don't normally notice these things. The intro to Born to Run was really muted, took me a few seconds to realise what song it was, and that never happens with that track. The crowd was pretty lame compared to Wembley, too. Odd choice as a bonus for High Hopes, the performance of Darkness on the Edge of Town from Wembley would have been cooler.

I expected a boxset of the three albums played live.

• Like 1

$40?! That is pretty steep, but I did pay £20 for Slash: Live in Manchester (it wasn't an impulse buy at that price, though). Couldn't believe how fast they made them, got it 10 mins after the gig ended, and I was in a pretty big queue, too. Mixing was great, the only problem with the CD was that the beginning few seconds of a song would be on the end of the previous track. I bought the MP3 download for the Metallica gig I went to back in Feb '09, think that was only $10, but I've lost it in the years since and don't think I can redownload it. Didn't bother doing the same for 2nd time I saw them. With GNR, I would pay for the O2 2010 Duff gig (which has a pretty decent audio boot anyway), and maybe the Paris 2010 gig, but apart from that I can't think of any out of the gigs I've been to.

the Born In The USA-DVD is fucking amazing though, incredible performance.

And Because The Night is not on the London Callin' DVD/blu-ray :blink:

Edited by Demon Wolf

the Born In The USA-DVD is fucking amazing though, incredible performance.

And Because The Night is not on the London Callin' DVD/blu-ray :blink:

Might check out the DVD, then.

Got mixed up with the Springsteen & I Blu-Ray, which was the other Springsteen Xmas present from my dad, which has 4 or 5 songs from Hard Rock Calling 2012 on it, including Because the Night. The documentary was pretty good, though a bit cringey and uncomfortable at times (the ginger lady who seemed to be orgasming while talking about Bruce's "raw sexuality" really creeped me out).

Full album shows were GREAT. I went to the last two shows at the old Spectrum in Philly. Back to back nights, Born to Run one night, Born in the USA the next. I can't stand Born In The USA and its poppy overuse of the synth, but it was still neat to see all the way through in concert. Plus I'll never complain about being guaranteed My Hometown in any show, even at the cost of shit like I'm Goin' Down, Dancing in the Dark, and Cover Me.