Iron Maiden - Maiden England European Tour 2014

Powerage5

Just stumbled across Live after Death being shown on tv, wish I could have seen them during that period :(

I guess I do just to have experienced it, but they're a far better live band nowadays IMO.

Yes they are, even the much loved Live After Death has them looking and sounding a bit exhausted at the end of a long relentless tour. Bruce's voice is shot on that album/video.

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 1

Just stumbled across Live after Death being shown on tv, wish I could have seen them during that period :(

I guess I do just to have experienced it, but they're a far better live band nowadays IMO.

Yes they are, even the much loved Live After Death has them looking and sounding a bit exhausted at the end of a long relentless tour. Bruce's voice is shot on that album/video.

Same goes for Maiden England. I love the energy on those releases (And the setlist on Maiden England), but Bruce sounds dreadful on both. And it wasn't like they recorded off-nights for the live albums; the only 80's tour I really think Bruce sounded great on is Beast On The Road. Next best he sounded was the Somewhere In Time tour IMO, but that still doesn't hold a candle to his voice nowadays.

Same goes for Maiden England. I love the energy on those releases (And the setlist on Maiden England), but Bruce sounds dreadful on both. And it wasn't like they recorded off-nights for the live albums; the only 80's tour I really think Bruce sounded great on is Beast On The Road. Next best he sounded was the Somewhere In Time tour IMO, but that still doesn't hold a candle to his voice nowadays.

They were just playing too many gigs too close together back then, Bruce's voice couldn't properly recover.

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 1

They were just playing too many gigs too close together back then, Bruce's voice couldn't properly recover.

Nicko always says he's the reason they have their 3-days rule, but I think Bruce benefits from it equally. I've got no problems with them spacing their gigs out more if it keeps them in check. Plus, it's gives me time to do sightseeing while I'm on tour :tongue2:

inspired by the black sabbath lists...and since i'm a sucker for lists...and since this is an iron maiden thread....might as well list the maiden studio albums, best to worst

seventh son of a seventh son

piece of mind

iron maiden

powerslave

number of the beast

killers

a matter of life and death

brave new world

somewhere in time

dance of death

the final frontier

fear of the dark

no prayer for the dying

the x factor

virtual ix

My list is always changing depending on what mood I'm in. Right now it's probably something like this:

Somewhere In Time

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

The Final Frontier

Killers

Brave New World

Piece Of Mind

Iron Maiden

A Mater Of Life And Death

Powerslave

Dance Of Death

Number Of The Beast

No Prayer For The Dying

Fear Of The Dark

The X Factor

Virtual XI

Honestly, on any given day I could call any Bruce or Paul album my favorite. I love those 13 albums inside and out (NPFTD and FOTD maybe not as much, but I still think they're great for the most part). The X Factor I can usually tolerate, though I don't usually go out of my way to listen to it. Virtual XI is truly one of the worst albums I've ever heard other than a couple tracks - I don't remember the last time I listened to it front to back.

And just for good measure, my list of Maiden's live albums (This is a little more concrete than the studio albums):

En Vivo!

Flight 666

Live After Death

Beast Over Hammersmith

Maiden England

Rock In Rio

Death On The Road

Live At Donington

A Real Live One

A Real Dead One

• Like 1

I'll give it a go

Studio:
Brave New World

Dance Of Death

Somewhere In Time

Final Frontier

Piece Of Mind

A Matter Of Life And Death

Fear Of The Dark

Powerslave

Seventh Son

X Factor

Number Of The Beast

No Prayer For The Dying

Killers

Iron Maiden

Virtual XI

Live:
Death On The Road

En Vivo

Rock In Rio

Flight 666

Beast Over Hammersmith

Live After Death

Maiden England

Live at Donnington

A Real Live One

A Real Dead One

Maiden Japan

Early Days

Powerslave

Somewhere In Time

The Final Frontier

Killers

Brave New World

Piece Of Mind

Iron Maiden

A Matter Of Life And Death

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Dance Of Death

Number Of The Beast

No Prayer For The Dying

Fear Of The Dark

The X Factor

Virtual XI

Always in flux though and sometimes albums shift as many as 4 positions depending on mood, for example I never really rated Killers until about a year ago when I fell in love with it.

Okay guys how about the worst Maiden song of all time, mine is Angel and The Gambler.