A separate private section for supporters only?

UK SUBS

This really is for supporters to answer but if it would encourage others to support feel free to say yes or no. We've tossed this idea around behind the scenes really since the takeover but we could never agree on it so I thought we'd ask the community.

Supporters only section COULD (ideas only!) include;

-- an 'attitude section' no holds bared discussion

-- moderate your own section (no mods allowed to take any action)

-- any forum ideas/announcements are released in this section before announcing to the rest do the community? (Although I wouldn't do this of everyone else got really pissed!)

-- be involved on the creative side to the forum (NB - during 2014 we're expanding in general) more to be revealed at a later date.

Any thoughts?

Any other ideas?

Thanks guys :)

• Like 4

Guest Len B'stard

Nahhh, keep it so everyone can join in everywhere man :) New sections are always cool but not when they're like, exclusive, being a community its cool that everyone can be everywhere etc.

-- an 'attitude section' no holds bared discussion

Yes, please.

-- moderate your own section (no mods allowed to take any action)

Yes, please.

-- any forum ideas/announcements are released in this section before announcing to the rest do the community? (Although I wouldn't do this of everyone else got really pissed!)

Nah. I think everyone should get to hear stuff like that at the same time.

-- be involved on the creative side to the forum (NB - during 2014 we're expanding in general) more to be revealed at a later date.

That makes sense, but, again, I wouldn't want to exclude large portions of the member base from these discussions.

I'm not sure about self moderation, just because someone is a supporter doesn't mean they can behave appropriately when no boundaries are enforced. All I see happening there is a number of reasonable folk getting peed off and it dwindling to a section where 5 or 6 posters compete for most outrageous insults.

I can see you need to improve supporter take up but as sugaraylen said I wouldn't want to see the forum divided and alienated. I think offering supporters a say in how things are run and developed is a good idea though, I suppose we are a bit like shareholders. Perhaps we should have an AGM!

I could see mygnr being run a bit more like a fan club i.e if enough donations were made above running costs all supporters receive an exclusive mygnr tshirt or something. Don't know how feasible that sort of thing is? I have heard it alleged that mods have a life outside this forum. ;-)

I would like a supporters only section and would certainly pledge my support again if it were to occur, however it would need to be pretty lax on the moderation front. Within reason of course so no nudity and stuff like that but the rules should be a bit more open.

The point of a private section is generally a bad idea especially if it's a "paying members-only" section - if nothing else happens in there that is no different on the other sections, then it is redundant, unless it is a section where all supporters that are interested in developing/contributing ideas to the site are discussing this (and it needs privacy). I consider it normal for admins and moderators or helpers of a forum to be allowed in to a private section on a forum, where normal discussions about the management of the forum/site takes place. It shouldn't be necessary to pay to "feel like a VIP" on a forum, unless if it's going to be a fanclub with benefits. just my POW :-)

I totally agree! I was asking out loud here yesterday if being here in the presence of the "hate festivus" (Andre's term) here is

healthy or necessary for an active fan like myself.

The person here most actively trolling me the most has admitted to not being interested in anything Axl Rose has done for

years. I think that is shameful to cupcake the real fans that this site is for.

Excited by Subs' big ambitions.

Me, too! I would pay for forums I frequent and pay more if they were cupcake-free!

Put in a no holds back, I can call users stupid assholes when they're being stupid assholes Attitude section and i will donate. I don't like the moderate your own thing because users will delete other users comments if they don't agree (i.e. I post "lol Ribfest. lolSlash" in a JB thread, he'd delete it). Put in a supporters only Attitude section. And let Hottest Girls Ever be a supporters only viewable thread. And I will donate to the forum.

If supporters only new Attitude were to be open, would you put all the old threads back in there, such as the Create an Ashba tweet thread, the Things that are more likely to be released before Nu Guns releases an album thread, Post an excuse as to why you were late for work Axl style thread (was a gem, too bad it never got saved), the original Cringeworthy Nu GNR merch thread, the When Ashba is playing a solo thread, the AFD is overrated thread, the Create an Axl Rose rant thread (another good one if I recall correctly), the Why does Slash tweet so much thread, the is Frank gay thread, the What a whore for the limelight Slash is thread, and the which GN'R/ex-GN'R member is the biggest pussy thread?

Some kind of exclusive forum for supporters? If most of supporters members want it. I´m not gonna be the party pooper. But in my case I mostly post either in the main GN´R forum or at Marc Cater´s and little bit in the ex members.

The way I see it, the forum is dedicated to GN´R. A place where fans come together to share opinions, news, or their own stories. I don´t see myself as being above anyone just because I donated.

My idea would be to send some kind of newsletter to all members on PM. Tell people that money is needed. Explain why. And just ask for 5 bucks. Some people may donate 10 or more.

Worst idea ever.

I however would become a supporter simply to cupcake your unmodded section. Nothing would remain a secret and people would fall out with each other very quickly.

By doing this, you'd be excluding your non-supporter members, who are probably the main bulk of this forum..all for some money.

Edited by ColdHeartBreaker

I think it would be a good idea if the boss wasn't reliant on google for add money, then we could have the hot girls thread back.Im willing to help make that happen. The site is falling under the censorship rules of google because the site is not free and independant.

Don't think I understand exactly what you're saying.

Are you saying despite being over $1,000+ down and personally funding this forum to keep it alive, that I shouldn't look for funding options?

Ah shit sorry, re read that I think I owe you an apology for jumping in, sorry I genuinely mis-understood you :)

with only 78 or so supporters, something should be done to lure in some more support. you could always give this a shot and if it doesn't go the way you want, move on to something else. I still think mygnr swag should be available t-shirts and what not.

I think it's definitely worth a shot. If it draws some of these cheap sons of bitches to throw down 5 bucks, it was definitely worth it. I know I'll donate again if it's there. I'll donate again if it isn't, but you don't need to know that. Then those of us that prefer to be assclowns get our section back, even better than before. I can't see a downside. :shrugs:

• Like 2

Funny, HV is working on that as we speak.

The month before last I made $79 -- Mainly due to us dropping our server costs. It was that or it was getting silly.

Every month since the take over (inc donations!) I loose around -$150 - $215 a month.

Honestly? couldn't even consider it unless we come up with another idea for major funding re ads/selling ads/space etc.

Guys I want you to know and you can quote me: I fund this on my AMEX and we are NOT closing in the medium to long term, FACT. I LOVE the place (plus I love fucking off some Debbie downers and nayslayers), BUT..... I do need your help and support to pull back some huge losses.

• Like 1