Solos you're trying to learn.

• 4 weeks later...

With stuff like Don't Cry or Patience I've never bothered to learn the arpeggios exact to the album. For one, I don't think Slash ever played the same thing twice. He seemed to have a few basic shapes and chord voices that he would keep consistent and play around with. I tend to learn the voicings and go from there, staying semi-true to the album but not worrying too much about hitting the exact bits everywhere. Solos I'm a bit more picky on but I'm never afraid of adding my own bits as long as it doesn't sound like I'm cheating my way out of a more difficult part or something.

Chord voices, eh? I have little knowledge on it, so I'm stuck here trying to memorize every note :(

At least I finished learning till that sliding lick on the first chorus, just a little more and I finish the first riff.

Unfortunately, the next verse, instead of being a repetition of the intro and the first verse, that is actually a bit different from the intro because the second arpeggio ends with an unfretted 4th string, while the intro ends with the 5th.

The next riff is also totally different and so on...

I very much prefer the way bands like MetallicA and AiC make their song structures. have nice riffs and lines for your song and repeat them throughout the whole song, then put a solo.

Yeah I basically never try to do a solo exactly note to note. Even when I'm learning stuff from a Satriani tab book my dad gave me a few years ago, it is just not possible to replicate his solos without a whammy bar.

That being said, it can be extremely helpful to intentionally learn to play something just like it was originally played. It's a way of adding new licks to your arsenal, and getting to think a bit like the original writer of the piece. :)

Chord voices, eh? I have little knowledge on it, so I'm stuck here trying to memorize every note :(

At least I finished learning till that sliding lick on the first chorus, just a little more and I finish the first riff.

Unfortunately, the next verse, instead of being a repetition of the intro and the first verse, that is actually a bit different from the intro because the second arpeggio ends with an unfretted 4th string, while the intro ends with the 5th.

The next riff is also totally different and so on...

I very much prefer the way bands like MetallicA and AiC make their song structures. have nice riffs and lines for your song and repeat them throughout the whole song, then put a solo.

Chord voices more or less just means different/unique positions of playing chords.

Say for A minor, the most basic voice of it is:

x02210

But an alternate voicing of it is:

x07555

Among many others. So for Don't Cry if you learn strictly the chords for say the verses (Am - Dm - G and so on) it will make memorizing those arpeggios that much easier because as long as you playing the chord in the same position or voicing of the song then even if you hit the "wrong" note here or there it won't be noticable because it'll still be within the chord itself.

Been stuck on about 70% speed for the Locomotive solos (all four of them) for ages. I use Guitar Pro to try and increase my speed 2% at a time, but the lead work in that song is incredibly fiddly.

I pretty much have SCOM, Nightrain and Jungle nailed, save for a few sketchy bits that need a bit of brushing up.

Also learning the tapping part of Eruption, which I can play at about 60% speed before it starts to sound messy.

Edited by Towelie

I found when I first started getting into tapping that I could barely get through the Eruption bit without my hand killing me. I had the pattern memorized easily and it's repetitive enough that it's not exactly hard, but damn, if I'm not warmed up enough I get tired of it pretty easily.