Best sequence of (at least 3) consecutive brilliant albums

username

Facelift, Dirt and Alice in Chains

Sure you can include Jar of Flies and Unplugged but it's basically three strikes and you're out cause your lead singer was on a road to hell.

The resurgent AIC is gonna complete a hat trick again with Black Gives Way To Blue, The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here and the next record.

So basically it's almost six consecutive split into two eras of threes.

Good call. I was so ready to hate the new incarnation of AiC, but then BGWTB happened. Top-tier record.

Sure you can include Jar of Flies and Unplugged but it's basically three strikes and you're out cause your lead singer was on a road to hell.

The resurgent AIC is gonna complete a hat trick again with Black Gives Way To Blue, The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here and the next record.

Good call. I was so ready to hate the new incarnation of AiC, but then BGWTB happened. Top-tier record.

Ehh it's ok. Nothing like the original albums. Really didn't care for the other one that much either. Bored me..

Ehh it's ok. Nothing like the original albums. Really didn't care for the other one that much either. Bored me..

I'm on the same boat as "love the originals, love the revival". Black Gives Way to Blue feels a lot bigger than just a reunion album, it feels like a breath of fresh air for grunge in the new millennium and a new life for Alice in Chains after Layne. TDPDH's also very solid, can't wait to hear what the band puts out next.

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Green River, Willy and the Poor Boys, Cosmo's Factory

Minutemen - The Punch Line, What Makes A Man Start Fires?, Double Nickels On The Dime --pre-dating the first album and in between the release of their albums, they also released brilliant eps--Paranoid Time, Joy, Bean Spill, Buzz Or Howl Under the Influence of Heat

Edited by Sixes
  • Like 1

Been really appreciating the 1999-2005 run Dream Theater had:

Metropolis Pt.2 Scenes From A Memory

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

Train Of Thought

Octavarium

If it wasn't for Falling Into Infinity (which isn't terrible, but it's inconsistent), their run could go all the way back to Images And Words.

Rush has one of the best streaks of all time:

A Farewell To Kings

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

I'm listening to their whole discography front to back getting pumped for the new tour, it just amazed me how solid that streak was. Any of those albums would be considered a career defining album by any other band.

• Like 2

A Farewell To Kings

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

I'm listening to their whole discography front to back getting pumped for the new tour, it just amazed me how solid that streak was. Any of those albums would be considered a career defining album by any other band.

Amazing run. And with my absolute fanboyism for 80s Rush, I'd go all the way to Power Windows with that streak. But that's me.

I'm on the same boat as "love the originals, love the revival". Black Gives Way to Blue feels a lot bigger than just a reunion album, it feels like a breath of fresh air for grunge in the new millennium and a new life for Alice in Chains after Layne. TDPDH's also very solid, can't wait to hear what the band puts out next.

I get why people miss Staley, this guy was a literal great, nothing like Staley's haunting warbling. Of course Duvall ain't a patch on him but he has a serious voice and Cantrell has not lost anything and he's creating fantastic Alice songs, they're not 'let's make a dime by imitating the old stuff' they are real heavyweight tracks and Duvall sounds like he owns those tracks, he helps their formation and he sings them like a damn banshee. Acid Bubble, Hollow, Private Hell, Last of My Kind, When The Sun Rose Again... that's just five... these are exemplary tracks that sound like Alice in Chains going strong with another lead vocalist, nothing wrong with that but it's a rare achievement.

• Like 2

A Farewell To Kings

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Amazing run. And with my absolute fanboyism for 80s Rush, I'd go all the way to Power Windows with that streak. But that's me.
the only album that kept me from going that far is Signals. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the album, but I don't think its quite up to par with everything else from 2112 to Power Windows.