What did the "test drive" GNR play at the first show?

Bobbo

Sorry if this has already been answered before, but I couldn't quite find a clear answer for it, and I've been curious about this for quite some time.

During the first couple of shows with Tracii, Ole, and Rob, what exactly did they play?

They never wrote or recorded new songs together, so I always assumed it was old Hollywood Rose material with some covers or something. Does anybody know?

Sorry if this has already been answered before, but I couldn't quite find a clear answer for it, and I've been curious about this for quite some time.

During the first couple of shows with Tracii, Ole, and Rob, what exactly did they play?

They never wrote or recorded new songs together, so I always assumed it was old Hollywood Rose material with some covers or something. Does anybody know?

Slash said they wrote a few songs.

We do not have a setlist but that would be a good assumption as the first gig (June 6th 1985) with Slash and Steven consisted of Hollywood Rose material (Reckless, Shadow of Your Love, Back off Bitch, Anything Goes) and covers (Nice Boys). Jury is still out when Think About You and Don't Cry were introduced (both were played on June 6th but they, could have been played earlier).

It would be a plausible theory that a few LA Guns songs would have featured also such as, Bloodshot Eyes, If You Don't Love Me and Stick To Your Guns. The reason I say this is, when Axl was in LA Guns, Hollywood Rose material was mixed-up with LA Guns material. Also the whole point of the band name and formation was, Guns and Roses. There is an equality there, with Tracii. It is a plausible theory. But we do not really know.

Edited by DieselDaisy

I've never seen a GNR song with any kinds of songwriting contributions from them. And obviously they never recorded together.

Probably Axl and Izzy mainly wrote the songs. Then Slash, Duff, and Steven added new, different parts in place of Tracii, Ole, Rob. No credits necessary.

I´m not 100% sure but it is possible they played Don´t Cry as the only GN´R song, besides Hollywood Rose material and covers.

Hmm...interesting.

It's kind of crazy nobody's certain of a set list from this show after all these years. Here I thought I was just stupid not being to find it :lol:

There's probably 2-3 people who don't view anything post Tracii as legitimate.

Tracii is Guns N Roses....well, he is Guns

Unless there is something we do not know about, the only two songs possible are Think About You (Stradlin) and Don't Cry (Stradlin/Rose). Those songs were the only two songs played on June 6th 1985 that we have no evidence of before, yet, the Appetite line-up had only been together for about two days when they were played! Slash says that, when he joined Guns N' Roses, Axl and Stradlin were working on Don't Cry so it is plausible that they began the song when Tracii was still in the band. It is also plausible that Think About You debuted during the Tracii line-up but - again - we simply do not know. We will never know until someone pulls up a setlist. Marc Canter's book sort of, follows Slash (except for that one Axl-LA Guns gig).

Unless there is something we do not know about, the only two songs possible are Think About You (Stradlin) and Don't Cry (Stradlin/Rose). Those songs were the only two songs played on June 6th 1985 that we have no evidence of before, yet, the Appetite line-up had only been together for about two days when they were played! Slash says that, when he joined Guns N' Roses, Axl and Stradlin were working on Don't Cry so it is plausible that they began the song when Tracii was still in the band. It is also plausible that Think About You debuted during the Tracii line-up but - again - we simply do not know. We will never know until someone pulls up a setlist. Marc Canter's book sort of, follows Slash (except for that one Axl-LA Guns gig).

Very interesting I wonder if Canter knows anything about it?

In the end Axl and Izzy were always the main 2 writers no matter who was in the band.

IMO CD could have been an unquestionable masterpiece with Izzy by Axl's side. I love what Dizzy and Paul brought to the band but they are not Izzy.

These are the earliest GN'R shows played (to the best of our knowledge) - all 1985. It sort of show how much of a short period we are dealing with here. Slash and Steven probably joined the band around the 3rd or the 4th June because we know they joined only two days before the first gig (also, Slash was still in Black Sheep on 31st May).

26th March - Troubadour (Axl, Izzy, Tracii Guns, Ole Beich, Rob Gardner)

11th April - Radio City, Anaheim (Duff replaces Beich)

24th April - Troubadour

25th April - Dancing Waters, S. Pedro

27th April - Timbers, Glendora

June 6th - (debut of the Appetite line-up).

This information mostly comes from the flyers. There were perhaps more gigs played by the Tracii line-up that we just do not know about.

In the end Axl and Izzy were always the main 2 writers no matter who was in the band.

IMO CD could have been an unquestionable masterpiece with Izzy by Axl's side. I love what Dizzy and Paul brought to the band but they are not Izzy.

Maybe we'll get a glimpse of some Axl n' Izzy magic if Axl will see fit to include Down By The Ocean on CD ll.

Maybe we'll get a glimpse of some Axl n' Izzy magic if Axl will see fit to include Down By The Ocean on CD ll.

I would like that. Also maybe a brand new tune?? And then Izzy can join the band sometimes to play it live!!!....how fuckin cool would that be?

Yeah I know not going to happen :(

Edited by volcano62

According to BBA (take that for whatever it's worth), Izzy and Axl were in the studio during the 2012 Vegas residency.

I believe he said that they had booked studio time. My understanding is that it was not used.

I remember him saying that they were in the studio, but I could be mistaken. Either way, not a reliable source...