Skwerl's GN'R Leak story

All Rise. The Court of Public Opinion Is Now In Session.  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"While I was still working at Universal in 2005, I met a guy that had been working with Axl, who told me that he had touched over 90 songs, 40 of which were “some of the best songs he’d ever heard. [...] If Axl Rose chokes on a donut tomorrow and dies, there’ll be ten more Guns N’ Roses albums on the way.”

Holy shit...

Edited by ManetsBR

Interesting...

The label had entered an exclusive retail sales contract with Best Buy in which the retailer paid for 1.3 million copies of the album up front. As of February 6, 2009, the total US Sales of the album had only reached 537,000. But the label had been paid for these 1.3 million copies. From a financial standpoint, the album was arguably a platinum-level success for the label. And as I said, UMG cut this deal standing on the hype my actions generated.

Industry executives blamed the album’s poor sales on Rose himself for failing to promote the album through videos, tours and interviews. Other insiders attributed it to Best Buy, arguing that the retailer did little to promote its exclusive rights to sell the album. Rose pointed the finger at Interscope Records and Jimmy Iovine, for not putting enough support behind the album’s production and marketing. He told Billboard he didn’t believe that the album’s sales were harmed by my actions.

The following people attempted to provide information about the leaks to Rackleff, who forwarded it to Jensen Penalosa: David Benjamin at Universal Anti-Piracy; Brad Buckles, Executive Vice President of Anti-Piracy at RIAA; GNR road manager & ally Del James; ... Longtime GNR leak hunter Mr. Saint Laurent; Maribeth C. Beekman; Laurie Soriano; Fernando Santos & Beta Lebeis.

Maribeth Beekman was passing a lot of MSL’s wild claims (and some others’) to Beta, who then led pre-emptive strikes against MSL and all of the big talkers on message boards

Edited by John Bonham

tl;dr version

I know that there are about ten more Guns N’ Roses songs floating around among outsiders, but I forget the working titles that I had been given, and I forget the name of one guy I met that had them.

While I was still working at Universal in 2005, I met a guy that had been working with Axl, who told me that he had touched over 90 songs, 40 of which were “some of the best songs he’d ever heard.” 14 of the 90 would eventually become Chinese Democracy. But ten demos floating around don’t mean a whole lot to me. If Axl Rose chokes on a donut tomorrow and dies, there’ll be ten more Guns N’ Roses albums on the way.
Edited by SeBaZ

Some guy claims he's "touched" 90 songs.....would be nice to believe, but no different from Baz saying there's albums worth of material, or Brian May making the same claims. I believe there are at least 90 unfinished songs without vocals.....but finished songs with Axl actually singing on them? Not a chance.

I believe the "10 or so finished songs" though....cause that's more plausible. And the fact that Skwerl claims to have heard some of them, and Classic Rock heard Atlas Shrugged....the 10 songs are probably the best we can hope for.

• Like 1

I don't know... He sounded very sure. He wouldb't bring up the "ten Guns N' Roses albums" if there wasn't enough material to make it for a record, would he? After all, they wouldn't release instrumental albums.

Edit: and as you said, Bach, May and even Tom Zutaut made the same statement. They are people from the industry, they wouldn't call a "song" a seven minutes run of Buckethead jamming with Pitman making noises in the background. I'm sure there aren't like, 90 "songs." But half of that I believe.

Edited by ManetsBR

Some guy claims he's "touched" 90 songs.....would be nice to believe, but no different from Baz saying there's albums worth of material, or Brian May making the same claims. I believe there are at least 90 unfinished songs without vocals.....but finished songs with Axl actually singing on them? Not a chance.

I believe the "10 or so finished songs" though....cause that's more plausible. And the fact that Skwerl claims to have heard some of them, and Classic Rock heard Atlas Shrugged....the 10 songs are probably the best we can hope for.

the 90 songs was a statement from 2005 though. who knows what axl had done with them since. in 2006 with trunk axl talked about he was just working on a song that wouldnt be on the first 2 chinese albums. i agree that no way there is 90 songs with vocals, but 3 or 4 albums worth of material certainly isnt out of the realm of possibility IMO.

I don't know... He sounded very sure. He wouldb't bring up the "ten Guns N' Roses albums" if there wasn't enough material to make it for a record, would he? After all, they wouldn't release instrumental albums.

Edit: and as you said, Bach, May and even Tom Zutaut made the same statement. They are people from the industry, they wouldn't call a "song" a seven minutes run of Buckethead jamming with Pitman making noises in the background. I'm sure there aren't like, 90 "songs." But half of that I believe.

they wouldnt release an instrumental album, but it wouldnt surprise me to see albums released with 2 or 3 instrumental tracks to pad the album to fill out more future albums IMO.

Edited by bran

Well, I honestly wouldn't mind to see an album of instrumentals, after all it's Buckethead, Axl Rose and Robin Finck we're talking here. But they're no Nine Inch Nails. I would love a Ghosts album by Guns N' Roses, but there are financial expectations attached to the brand. And, after all, Axl's voice is the Guns N' Roses signature.

traditionally, bands will work up up to 50 songs for an album that has 10-14 songs on it. those songs left off are rightfully left off. could be the same situation

and didn't axl say that the songs they were playing live were the weaker songs? number 1, why play weak material live to your fans in the first place? number 2...umm, i have no number 2....number 3, why release weak material?...number 4, fuck me, i don't have a number 4 either