When Axl visited...Why did fans trash Oh My God?

184 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a longer version that's much better, and it was scaled down to under 4 minutes. It's not that it's "industrial" because "Shackler's Revenge" pulled it off. Awash in shred, drowning out the bass, drums and vocals.

"Music is the space between the notes. It's not the notes you play; it's the notes you don't play."

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a longer version that's much better, and it was scaled down to under 4 minutes. It's not that it's "industrial" because "Shackler's Revenge" pulled it off. Awash in shred, drowning out the bass, drums and vocals.

"Music is the space between the notes. It's not the notes you play; it's the notes you don't play."

I agree with that last statement in some cases, but not in the case of new Guns. Its about the notes they do play, restraint is not their forte, Excess is the objective...hence the 8 man band.

Edited by Mr. Dude

I like the song, but I've only met one other person in "real life" that liked it-honestly.

I think calling it one of Gun's best songs ever is drawing a really long bow.

Everyone I've played it for really liked it. If I didn't tell them first, most didn't even realize it was GNR though and some seemed pretty shocked that it was.

Quite a few of my friends picked the song up without my encouragement, I do wonder where they heard it first since it's pretty much unheard of to the casual GnR fan. I guess, people who were really into metal and heavier rock took a shine to it. I was surprised to be honest.

To them, they weren't into the whole Axl vs Slash thing, the old band or having to hear a classic Axl scream or Slash solo for it to be a good GNR song.

Edited by ColdHeartBreaker
  • Like 1

I like it as well, but I don't love it. I like the scene it was in, in the movie as well. I thought it was a good "hellish" type song. I bought that soundtrack the day it was released, and saw the movie in the theaters all because of that song.

I would place it somewhere near the 35~50% range, with 100 being the best gnr songs. It's on the same level as don't damn me, anything goes, bad apples, get in the ring, etc. Which I enjoy all of those songs. But anyone that feels its near jungle or you could be mine is just crazy. But I would of been happy if it had replaced either riad or scraped on CD.

I like it as well, but I don't love it. I like the scene it was in, in the movie as well. I thought it was a good "hellish" type song. I bought that soundtrack the day it was released, and saw the movie in the theaters all because of that song.

I would place it somewhere near the 35~50% range, with 100 being the best gnr songs. It's on the same level as don't damn me, anything goes, bad apples, get in the ring, etc. Which I enjoy all of those songs. But anyone that feels its near jungle or you could be mine is just crazy. But I would of been happy if it had replaced either riad or scraped on CD.

Yeah, I wouldn't say its a classic like Jungle or YCBM, but I think its way better than songs like Bad Apples, Anything Goes, and GITR. I love the venomous lyrics and I think its got a killer chorus.

I bought End of Days just for the song. When I heard it that pretty much ended my total love and appreciation of anything and everything GNR right then and there. That awkward moment that occours when you realize nothing is ever going to be as equal or better than the past. That awkward moment when you realize that you wont be going into middle age with GNR as a beloved companion like you sailed through late teens and twentys with AFD and UYIs blasting away at the hubris of society and world culture.

It has its moments... stand alone it has its merits...as an AXl Rose song...as GNR via NIN song...yeah that too. Just didnt get why everybody thought it was the second coming when clearly the song is a demo.

At the time it came out and when that discussion board was up the original fan base were expecting this really cool great GNR sounding song and then this thing dropped and I know that everyone I knew or talked to that heard it was laughing it off...some it pissed them off. At the time..late 90's early 2000's axl was just trying to hard to be something that he just wasnt and that was industial...nice experiment at best. one of the greatest GNR songs? Hardly. one of the great Axl Rose songs..perhaps. Isnt Dave Navaro on that track? So it was still nuGNR in its "rebuilding stage" I dont think BH is even on that tack.

• Like 1

I liked it. I think it's the best GnR song. Axl put so much anger into it vocally. Even listening to just the instrumentals, you can hear how complex of a song it is.

The biggest problem with it was that axl downplayed it when a few people said they didn't like it. I think that that really decreased Axl's confidence in the new material, which could be one of the reasons CD wasn't released in 1999/2000.

If Axl had released it as a single, it would've gotten more radio airplay, and could've been a hit. I would love to hear more songs like OMG. We know "Daddy Can The Devil Do Mommy and Me" is very similar and was written for End of Days, but I doubt we'll ever hear that.

That late 90's time period is really odd for GnR. Madagascar was the first song axl wrote in years... around 1997. How do you write something like that, and then not long after write something like OMG?

I don't exactly buy that axl was going for an industrial rock album.... Not when he had already written CITR, TWAT, IRS, Prostitute, Maddy, and SOD. I think that maybe he meant it would have an industrial sound to it.

But then again, who knows, we only have 15 out of 50+ songs that were created back then. What made CD could've been the minority.... I remember each album was supposed to have a heavier sound to it.

Edited by liers

I like the song, but I've only met one other person in "real life" that liked it-honestly.

I think calling it one of Gun's best songs ever is drawing a really long bow.

I like it. The very first time I heard it was a crappy, leaked version. I liked it.

Just because people don't like a song doesn't mean they're trolling...geez

It's OK, nothing special. It was mostly forgotten about until the last couple of years, where people were asking for anything "new" just to mix up the redundant setlist.

I remember Howard Stern playing it, and people called ripping it to shreds. I never heard it on the radio again. It may have been one of the first times I can recall feeling awkward about being a Guns fan.

Was anyone else taken aback by how much of a non-event the OMG release was? I mean, this was only five years or so after Guns had been the biggest band on the planet, and no one gave a fuck about this song. It wasn't like people were excited and there was all this buzz and then it came out and people didn't like it so it faded into obscurity. No. It came out and no one gave a fuck. It was like nothing happened at all. I remember being kinda bummed out about that.

• Like 1

Absolutely.

I bought the soundtrack, totally pumped-my friends that liked GNR just scoffed at it.

Than again, up until 07 or so I actually believed that Axl was going to rise to the toppermost of the poppermost once again and even had a dream where I went into a record store and their was all this awesome Chinese Democracy stuff everywhere :blink:

The movie was lackluster as well and I remember it got shit reviews for an Arnold movie. I think the idea was that it would be like Terminator 2 and YCBM was... just pushing the forthcoming release into the publics eye and generating some interest and revenue.. but when both of the products were less than stellar... the whole thing became another nice idea gone wrong. The first song heard since Sympathy for the Devil and a reintroduction by the mighty GNR and it was just so ...different to the expectations of the GNR crowd that it crashed before it even had a chance to get off the ground. Magisme nailed it. No hype, no fanfare no one gave a fuck... GNR comeback?? not on this type of material. Thanks for playing. Nice try.

Sad thing is with that band intact and the huge push to cross market becoming the norm for movies that could have been a bonaza and a building block for Axl and NuGNR . There could have been tons of avenues to get the spotlight back on GNR and CD moving in a direction that might have made it more acceptable to a larger and YOUNGER fanbase.

Was anyone else taken aback by how much of a non-event the OMG release was? I mean, this was only five years or so after Guns had been the biggest band on the planet, and no one gave a fuck about this song. It wasn't like people were excited and there was all this buzz and then it came out and people didn't like it so it faded into obscurity. No. It came out and no one gave a fuck. It was like nothing happened at all. I remember being kinda bummed out about that.

Who was pushing the hype for it? Axl/GnR didn't, right? Seemed like he was testing the waters IMO.

Who was pushing the hype for it? Axl/GnR didn't, right? Seemed like he was testing the waters IMO.

What do you mean? I'm not saying Axl tried to hype it up and failed - although that End of Days trailer was all over television and it always mentioned a new song from Guns - but I was still under the illusion that a new Guns song would create a buzz in 1999, orchestrated hype or not, and it just didn't, at all.

What do you mean? I'm not saying Axl tried to hype it up and failed - although that End of Days trailer was all over television and it always mentioned a new song from Guns - but I was still under the illusion that a new Guns song would create a buzz in 1999, orchestrated hype or not, and it just didn't, at all.

I'm pretty clueless other than from what I've read about how the whole thing went down, I got the impression releasing OMG on a film was a test, and not an attempt to get every Guns fan excited again - it's odd and interesting that in 1999, new gnr music didn't create a buzz.

I'm pretty clueless other than from what I've read about how the whole thing went down, I got the impression releasing OMG on a film was a test, and not an attempt to get every Guns fan excited again - it's odd and interesting that in 1999, new gnr music didn't create a buzz.

You're right about it not being some grand attempt at a reemergence. Axl wasn't doing interviews or anything like that, and the promotion for the song was done solely through the movie, but it was still pretty visible, and it came and went like nothing. And this is a year before the Rolling Stone "What the World Needs Now Is Axl Rose" story, or whatever it was called, which is strange. I think Axl's legend has stayed alive more amongst music journalists than it has among the general public.

I agree with you about the final release. But after waiting for such a long time - not knowing whether GnR was really dead or still alive - the unexpected leak was ever so exciting, no matter the crap, leak quality, I think it was the magic of hearing a brand new song seemingly coming out off the blue. I remember playing it on my PC, over and over and over again - and in spite of it's squeaking sounds I thought: Yay! They're back again!

Still like the song, but the final release didn't have the magic of the shitty leak. :) Bet you all are familiar with the feeling you get when you hear a full leak of a new song. No matter which period.