Thoughts on the band, etc

wfuckinga

You've been there since the beginning, and you were the original Guns N' Roses fan. Do you ever sit back and think "Wow, when did this band get so huge? I remember when they were playing to a few dozen on the Strip" or "Wow, I remember when they had tens of fans. Now they have millions" or something like that? What were your thoughts when the band first started to get the awards and recognition?

When the band did 4 nights at perkins palace pasadena CA. at the end of 1987 was the first sign of it. a few months later Jungle broke on MTV and then they did 2 nights at the celebrity theater in Anaheim Ca. That was the big chance I saw in the fans in the crowd and then MTV filmed and aired the Ritz gig soon after that. There was no stopping them at that point. They were the coolest new band around. They put out SCOM which put the band to all new levels and then they finished it off with Paradise City. A few years latter Nov Rain open up a whole new crowd and took things to the next level.

I always knew how good they were from the start and now the rest of the world knew it too. I was very proud that they made it to the top and that was before they did any headline tours.

I always wonder how mush further they could have gone if Izzy didn't leave? The funny thing is I always thought that drugs would have killed the band but in the end it was the sober one who killed it. When Izzy left it was the beginning of the end for that line up. Axl could blame Slash and Slash can blame Axl all they want, They are both wrong it was all mostly Izzys fault for now being there to balance it all between them.

I think Izzy made a very clear statement with 14 Years. And if Axl allowed that song and other Izzy´s songs on the UYI albums is because he saw the storm was getting closer. But as usual Axl listened to the wrong people. So he might ended up thinking that Izzy wouldn´t have the balls.

Izzy´s mistake was not to persuade Slash, Duff and Matt to go on a strike or mutiny knowing that Axl was out of control. And knowing that nobody in the band was happy with Axl´s behavior.

• Like 2

interesting perspective marc, kinda crazy that everybody gives izzy a "pass" too like he could do no wrong

Construing Izzy leaving as "wrong" because it broke up the band is a leap imo.

Izzy did kind of leave the band in the lurch. It's not easy to replace a player with Izzy's attitude etc, to play and keep going with GNR songs. The UYIs were done though, so i think maybe many underestimated the loss. "Throw Gilby in there and she'll be right..."

Ok, I'm not trying to put it all on Izzy because I know why he left and I guess in a way it would fall back on some of the things that were happening at that time which was what really cased Izzy to leave.

However I still say if Izzy didn't leave, the band would have been able to make more records with that lineup.

• Like 2

interesting perspective marc, kinda crazy that everybody gives izzy a "pass" too like he could do no wrong

Construing Izzy leaving as "wrong" because it broke up the band is a leap imo.

I just think it's interesting that point is never made on these boards, it's always blaming slash or axl. izzy probably did what was best for him at the time, but if he hadn't left, how would have things turned out? wrong or right he always gets a pass "well izzy's just being izzy...."

Ok, I'm not trying to put it all on Izzy because I know why he left and I guess in a way it would fall back on some of the things that were happening at that time which was what really cased Izzy to leave.

However I still say if Izzy didn't leave, the band would have been able to make more records with that lineup.

I see your point. But keep in mind that Axl wanted to go in another direction musically. I don´t see Izzy being a big fan of industrial/electronic/overproduced music. The problems Axl had with Slash and Duff he would´ve had them with Izzy as well. Besides Izzy didn´t belong in the partnership anymore just like Slash and Duff. Izzy had a lot more good reasons to stay out than to stay in.

Izzy was back in 1993 because of Gilby´s accident. Izzy was willing to give it a second chance. He clearly didn´t like what he saw.

I see your point. But keep in mind that Axl wanted to go in another direction musically. I don´t see Izzy being a big fan of industrial/electronic/overproduced music. The problems Axl had with Slash and Duff he would´ve had them with Izzy as well. Besides Izzy didn´t belong in the partnership anymore just like Slash and Duff. Izzy had a lot more good reasons to stay out than to stay in.

Izzy was back in 1993 because of Gilby´s accident. Izzy was willing to give it a second chance. He clearly didn´t like what he saw.

I do not think Izzy's intention was ever to "give it a second chance." I think he was just helping out the band in a time of need. From all accounts, he was pretty relieved to be done with playing with the band after those shows in 1993.

A lot of people here who know what they're talking about say that Izzy leaving was the beginning of the end. It's almost universally accepted amongst fans of the old band, I think.

Definitely agree, although I'd have to say that off all the things that have happened to GN'R, opinions on Izzy have changed the most since he left the band in 1991. At the time, once the word finally came out that he was gone (it was a more or less hush hush deal when it first happened) a lot of people saw it as him abandoning ship and being too much of a "pussy" to be able playing in a band as big as Guns N' Roses. Years later, seeing how quickly the band fell apart after he left and how quickly the relationships between everyone went to shit, it's obvious Izzy probably jumped ship before it sank.