Today's Alice in Chains > Today's "GNR"

Kush

I love the early Alice In Chains. Imo, Staley is up there with the greatest vocalists of all time. Despite his death and Cantrell's decision to move forward with William Duvall, I think today's Alice In Chains (Black Gives Way, Devil/Dinosaurs) pawns today's "GNR" or anything that was on Chinese Democracy.

I don't necessarily agree with Cantrell's decision to call the band AIC, but you have to respect that he isn't just touring around the globe using the Staley-era work, content with being a tribute act, to fill his pockets like ahem... Just curious if there are other GNR / AIC fans here who feel exactly the same?

Edited by Kush

I like Black Gives Way to Blue. Not so much Dinosaurs… Though, Black doesn't compare at all with Facelift, Dirt, Sap or even their self-titled album/tripod.

I prefer Chinese over Black or Dinosaurs… I do agree on Staley being one of the all-time great vocalists. Unfortunately, while Duvall is fairly decent, he's no Staley by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd rather see Axl's new band than AIC w/Duvall.

I like Black Gives Way to Blue. Not so much Dinosaurs… Though, Black doesn't compare at all with Facelift, Dirt, Sap or even their self-titled album/tripod.

I prefer Chinese over Black or Dinosaurs… I do agree on Staley being one of the all-time great vocalists. Unfortunately, while Duvall is fairly decent, he's no Staley by any stretch of the imagination.

Facelift, Sap, Dirt, Jar of Flies, and Tripod are all in a league of their own. You're right. The new albums can't touch those with Staley.

As far as Chinese being better than AIC's new albums, I guess if a collection of dated, whiney ballads about some chick that dumped you 10 years ago is your thing, then I guess I can see where you are coming from.

I also find it admirable that Jerry doesn't live with some lady that he calls "mom". Gives him a little bit more of a rock n roll edge.

Edited by Kush

Fun fact: Steven Adler and Mike Starr both appeared on Celebrity Rehab.

Fun fact: they were both slated to play in the same band back in the early to mid 2000s. Unfortunately, heroin interrupted that potential diamond in the rough.

I've been a fan of GNR longer than I've been a fan of AIC. But AIC has been given me a lot of reasons to like them even more.

I miss Layne so bad, but I can't deny I've loved the last 2 albums. Jerry is my fav guitar player by miles and I love his solo work. IMO Jerry>>>> Slash.

AIC was extremely professional at the concert that I went to and they were really nice with the fans.

They even autographed one of my signs and took another one as a gift. It was very cool of them.

Just like AIC, GNR has so much potential to release new songs. I wish they did it every once in a while...

GNR and AIC are both amazing bands and I can't choose between them.

Facelift, Sap, Dirt, Jar of Flies, and Tripod are all in a league of their own. You're right. The new albums can't touch those with Staley.

As far as Chinese being better than AIC's new albums, I guess if a collection of dated, whiney ballads about some chick that dumped you 10 years ago is your thing, then I guess I can see where you are coming from.

I also find it admirable that Jerry doesn't live with some lady that he calls "mom". Gives him a little bit more of a rock n roll edge.

Well, I don't know what their personal lives have anything to do with the quality of their work, but okay… If you say so...

Sorry you aren't a fan of CD. I am. I am also a fan of BGWTB. But I find CD more interesting and enjoyable. But it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Well, facts are this isn't an AIC forum it's guns so this is not gonna go well for AIC.

AIC are not in a similar boat to GnR, why? they have the majority of the classic line-up and if Layne had gotten through his addiction he would be playing with AIC right now. GnR have 1 original member and all the past members are still living but not interested in playing with the band at present. Guns have one new release since the relaunch, AIC released 2 albums both got great fan/press approval and for he most part people have welcomed duvall with open arms, Guns have not been so lucky - the band as is, will always be lauded, in the shadow of the old and most are not interested in listening to the new material as it's too far out. AIC stuck to their sound while adding some new influences, Guns completely changed only keeping fragments of what they were.

AIC has been a more successful relaunch but I doubt it's been as successful financially at least. If Guns took the AIC route and released two strong albums back to back that weren't a million miles away from the sound that their core fanbase love they would be held in a much, much better opinion by the press and general public... the classic line-up would still shadow them though, just like layne will always win over William.

Well, facts are this isn't an AIC forum it's guns so this is not gonna go well for AIC.

You'd think, but judging by the responses so far, I don't see all that many shouting out in protest that "Nu-GNR are the better band".

AIC, whether we like it or not, has carried on - and isn't soley living off of the Staley era material. You don't hear Jerry and Sean crying about how it's pointless to release an album. Even though Inez is a hired Chain, he still knows what's going on in the band and is allowed to speak about it. He doesn't give interviews alluding to the fact that he's going to leave the band because Jerry would rather use a bass line performed by Starr 20 years ago.

One is a band that tours the world and continues releasing fresh music. The other is absolutely pathetic, sponges off of a defunct band's legacy, and sticks to a couple of very select markets where they know they can rip off some desperate fans who still act as if it's 1992.

Gotta agree with OP. I had the pleasure of seeing them twice (once for the BGWTB and TDPDH tours) and meeting them, and they're great down to earth dudes that are still putting out music worthy of the name. Compared to Axl, who's confrontational, losing his voice, and determined not to release music...yeah.

When they started AIC were called Alice N Chains?

Yes, they changed it later.

BTW, check this out 1:41 - 2:00 doesn't it sound just like WTTJ?

At 14:22 here, check their logo it's a rose slowly becoming a chain:

I think GNR influenced them back in the day.

You'd think, but judging by the responses so far, I don't see all that many shouting out in protest that "Nu-GNR are the better band".

AIC, whether we like it or not, has carried on - and isn't soley living off of the Staley era material. You don't hear Jerry and Sean crying about how it's pointless to release an album. Even though Inez is a hired Chain, he still knows what's going on in the band and is allowed to speak about it. He doesn't give interviews alluding to the fact that he's going to leave the band because Jerry would rather use a bass line performed by Starr 20 years ago.

One is a band that tours the world and continues releasing fresh music. The other is absolutely pathetic, sponges off of a defunct band's legacy, and sticks to a couple of very select markets where they know they can rip off some desperate fans who still act as if it's 1992.

Inez is not a hired chain. He's with the band since Last Action Hero Soundtrack.