Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion Thread *No Spoilers*

bran

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oberyn did not do the classic "double tap" or at least kept his himself out of The Mountain's reach.

Oberyn was a show-off. he had a chance, but he wanted to put on a show. and he was smashed like a beetle

Oberyn did not do the classic "double tap" or at least kept his himself out of The Mountain's reach.

Oberyn was a show-off. he had a chance, but he wanted to put on a show. and he was smashed like a beetle

No, not at all. All he cared about was getting the confession out of the Mountain. He didn't fight for Tyrion to save him, rather he did it to finally get the chance to get the confession. In the heat of the moment he was obsessed with that confession and made a reckless mistake due to the rage he was feeling.

Not really. Outside of those directly involved in it nobody was sure who if anyone gave the order to kill Elia's child, kill her and rape her. That is what Oberyn was trying to find out, whether Tywin was indeed the one who ordered it and by doing so expose him to all of those watching.

I mean Oberyn himself said as soon as the battle started that as soon as he confesses and admits to it the battle would be over and that is where the show fails. In the book the fight goes on for far longer with Oberyn constantly shouting at the Mountain to confess while wearing him down with his speed, jabbing and making small wounds to slow him down before crippling him by severing his hamstring. By the time the Mountain is on the floor he is so tired and injured he can't do anything so Oberyn lets his guard down to get the confession while in the show this is never really done, the fight is over in a couple of minutes and the impact is lose.

Not really. Outside of those directly involved in it nobody was sure who if anyone gave the order to kill Elia's child, kill her and rape her. That is what Oberyn was trying to find out, whether Tywin was indeed the one who ordered it and by doing so expose him to all of those watching.

I mean Oberyn himself said as soon as the battle started that as soon as he confesses and admits to it the battle would be over and that is where the show fails. In the book the fight goes on for far longer with Oberyn constantly shouting at the Mountain to confess while wearing him down with his speed, jabbing and making small wounds to slow him down before crippling him by severing his hamstring. By the time the Mountain is on the floor he is so tired and injured he can't do anything so Oberyn lets his guard down to get the confession while in the show this is never really done, the fight is over in a couple of minutes and the impact is lose.

i have read the book, but it was 2 years ago and i hardly remember all the details. but i remember the show quite well as i watched all the episodes of seasons 4 just the other day. in the 1st episode Oberyn told Tyrion he knew it was Tywin who ordered to kill his sister and her children. Tyrion did not deny it. and lets just think logically - if the Mountain did what he did and was left unpunished, it means that Lannister gave a direct order or at least approved the murder, which frankly speaking is the same thing. that's why i think it was the the kind of a secret everybody knew. so what was the point of making the Mountain publicly acknowledge the obvious? did Oberyn think that he could put Tywin on trial? it's Westeros we are talking about, not Narnia

i have read the book, but it was 2 years ago and i hardly remember all the details. but i remember the show quite well as i watched all the episodes of seasons 4 just the other day. in the 1st episode Oberyn told Tyrion he knew it was Tywin who ordered to kill his sister and her children. Tyrion did not deny it. and lets just think logically - if the Mountain did what he did and was left unpunished, it means that Lannister gave a direct order or at least approved the murder, which frankly speaking is the same thing. that's why i think it was the the kind of a secret everybody knew. so what was the point of making the Mountain publicly acknowledge the obvious? did Oberyn think that he could put Tywin on trial? it's Westeros we are talking about, not Narnia

i think it was more to embarrass and to obliterate the lannisters name and legacy which tywin holds in the highest regard. tywin has been trying to cement it for years and trying to fix the mistakes of his father and also the mistakes of cersei/jaime/tyrion. if oberyn could get the mountain to announce that tywin ordered him to kill and rape innocent women and children, his legacy and image are over and the lannisters are forever tarnished. i dont think it was to put tywin on trial as in a judicial court but it was definitely meant to put him on trial in the court of public opinion IMO.

:drool:

Since Gregor is the Lord of House Clegane and he is sworn to Tywin Lannister, his raping and murders have all happened under his watch. Tywin did nothing to stop him. But Tywin uses that as a way to make House Lannister feared. Now they will be hated because The Mountain openly confessed his most famous crime.

Also, I want to mention how as much as the writers do everything they can to make Stannis look bad, so far his army hasn't done much raping and murdering. Tryion and Cersei would say Stannis's army would but in the books, Stannis is against all that. He would even have any man gelded (dick cut off) if he finds out they raped someone. Another reason why Stannis's army is so small.

I hate them for cutting out that line of his "Weddings have become more perilous than battles, it would seem." Why cut such a good line?

• Like 1

i hate what they have done to stannis. it is the only major complaint i have with the show. in the show he basically just follows whatever mel wants him to do. the whole her saving davos from beheading made me gag :lol:

• Like 1

I hate how they try so hard to make Cersei a sympathetic and complex character. She's basically Skylar White. No matter how hard they try to rationalize her actions, she is still a villain. I remember when fans of hers got so pissed off when GRRM pretty much confirms this in her POV chapters in AFFC.

Stannis in the show is borderline autistic. He was suppose to be the one who suspected of Robert's children being bastards of Cersei. As much it was awesome seeing him fight, he would never done such a thing because a good commander would be at the rear giving orders. He is basically Tywin's biggest adversary.

i just want something from stannis, he is rarely even seen in the show really. in the book he literally is the only one who gives a shit about the realm, he never wanted to be king but felt the responsibility to take the throne. im not saying he is a perfect character, he is very complex but damn in the show they should just give him devil horns or something :lol:

one thing i wish the show would have kept in was cressen and the backstory of the baratheons and in particular the backstory of stannis and his childhood, i thought it was really moving and was sad to to see him poisoned and die, but in the show he is just some old stupid guy who was poisoned and no one gave a shit about.

Edited by bran

Martin's editor came out and said there might be another book taking the total from 7 to 8. This series is never gettting finished.

yeah im starting to share that same belief. there is no way this series ends in two books. from what has been reported and from what sample chapters we have access to, it seems there is going to be even more build up to the two big events that are going to kickoff the winds of winter. i mean if these 2 events take up 200 or so pages that is a pretty hefty percentage of the book, and that is without getting to all the other storylines that have been set up. this is not even including the others and the wights that have been basically on the back burner for a while as well.

I felt pain when the teeth went flying. Oh Viper you were too sexy for that.

It's been a while since I read the books so I'm unsure about timelines...

do you think we'll see Stannis come to the wall this season?
or is that a way off?
TV Stannis needs redemption and this might be the moment.

This will answer your question Dead Flower but it is a spoiler.

Stannis will be here. In the trailer you see his Men At Arms slaying Mances Wilidlings. They wear the distinct Baratheon helmets

I just hope the writers don't continue fuck with his character. Assholes.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov