Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion Thread *No Spoilers*

bran

My overall assessment of season four is that it was okay. Some really good parts and some really bad parts. My biggest thing was the white washing of certain characters and how they have the characters go on pointless journey. What was the point of The Hound and Arya at the Bloody Gate? What was the fucking point of "Yara" going to Dreadfort? Why not use that opportunity kill Balon Greyjoy? Why did they waste time on Tyrion's retarded cousin when they really could have talked about Tysha. Tyrion just looked like he killed his father because he banged his whore. Big improvement on Stannis, he wasn't as horny for Mel (though with tits like that, I would fuck her all the time if I was king.)

I think D&D need to stop being creative. They really suck at it. Only a handful of characters are played just as they were written. Tywin, Varys, Littlefinger, Oberyn (though much hornier) and Queen of Thorns.

I will say the exchanges between Jon and Stannis were highlights, they were my favorite part of A Dance with Dragons. And I've come to really like Ciran Hinds as Mance Rayder.

So yeah, I give this 3 out of five stars.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought all the books and have not started them yet but after reading some of the comments here about how the shows are deviating from the book plot and how disappointed some here are I am not sure I want to read them as it may turn me off to the show........... :shrugs:

My overall assessment of season four is that it was okay. Some really good parts and some really bad parts. My biggest thing was the white washing of certain characters and how they have the characters go on pointless journey. What was the point of The Hound and Arya at the Bloody Gate? What was the fucking point of "Yara" going to Dreadfort? Why not use that opportunity kill Balon Greyjoy? Why did they waste time on Tyrion's retarded cousin when they really could have talked about Tysha. Tyrion just looked like he killed his father because he banged his whore. Big improvement on Stannis, he wasn't as horny for Mel (though with tits like that, I would fuck her all the time if I was king.)

I think D&D need to stop being creative. They really suck at it. Only a handful of characters are played just as they were written. Tywin, Varys, Littlefinger, Oberyn (though much hornier) and Queen of Thorns.

I will say the exchanges between Jon and Stannis were highlights, they were my favorite part of A Dance with Dragons. And I've come to really like Ciran Hinds as Mance Rayder.

So yeah, I give this 3 out of five stars.

i fully agree. it is just with the material they had to work with i think it could have been much grander . i think the biggest problem is that their just isnt enough episodes to tell the story properly. it worked with A game of thrones and clash of kings because those books could fit in 10 1hr episodes. a storm of swords is a different matter. the amount of stuff in this book needed more than 20 episodes to flesh out the story,

some of the changes were weird as well. the children of the forest throwing fire balls at some skeletons popping out of the ground. jojen dying a pointless death. bloodraven is basically just a guy sitting on a weirdwood throne instead of how he looked in the books. stannis was cool but they still kind of brushed him aside in ways. i mean no stannis chant from his soldiers, he still comes off as a bad guy.

the whole cersei/tywin admission scene was awkward. in the book her father is very important to her and she wants to be the female tywin. here it seems like she would care less if tywin is dead. jaime was another weird one. he is supposed to be trying to repair his honor and the white book is something that helps him realize how little he has done after viewing the achievements of past heads of the kingsguard. so he literally makes up with cersei and throws away the white book to fuck her on the table.

tyrion is another one. he was forced to have sex with tysha as punishment for marrying a "whore" tyrion is still heartbroken about the whole situation and hold resentment over tywin for it. when jaime frees tyrion he tells tyrion the truth that tysha was a crofters daughter and not a whore, and jaime knew it. tywin forced tyrion of have sex with tysha as the rest of his cronies raped his wife. this pushed tyrion over the edge and threatened to kill jaime and was the last straw with tywin that led to his death. the exchange between tyrion and tywin in the books was powerful and when tyrion asked where tysha went and tywin responded "wherever whores go." you felt for tyrion at that point and hated tywin at the same time, so when tyrion killed him it was powerful. instead we get tyrion killing tywin for fucking his whore.

tyrion killing shae in "self defense" just ruins any kind of development tyrion could have had just for the sake of white washing him. the whole shae character in the show was just odd to me. she is madly in love tyrion so much so that she turns down a shit ton of diamonds from varys to flea out of love yet then betrays tyrion at the drop of a hat. in the book shae was always a whore and betrayed tyrion for a mansion and a knight to marry.

i like the season but to me it could have been much better. i think non book readers will see it differently since this is how they always have seen the characters but for book readers it just doesnt make sense in parts.

So wait, did Varys go with Tyrion? Does that happen in the books?

in the books varys is forced to help tyrion escape because jaime holds him at sword point. when tyrion wants to go to the tower of the hand varys leaves him and tyrion kills his father and then fleas by himself.

if anyone wants to hear how shae's death and tywins death occurs in the book. also to hear jaime and tyrions interaction compared to the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6EGHa78GZM&list=PLPvh5EVCtUKmAOlhoWXdDN0JvzwVnPLz6&index=79

• Like 1

I bought all the books and have not started them yet but after reading some of the comments here about how the shows are deviating from the book plot and how disappointed some here are I am not sure I want to read them as it may turn me off to the show........... :shrugs:

its not bad, but when you are so used to a character one way, and then you see it portrayed another it just seems odd and out of place. the story to me is full of grey characters. they are not bad or good but they are real people that are conflicted and their actions represent that. the show to me paints to many characters black or white. tyrion is very much a grey character in the books who does some pretty bad things. killing shae and tywin was supposed to be the start of a total character change for tyrion where he kind of goes into a downfall of sorts. instead he kills shae in self defense and basically just offs his father since he was banging shae.

did shae deserve it in the books? yes. but the way tyrion went about it was ice cold and you could see he just snapped and was kind of just over the edge at that point. he continues to spiral downwards and does a heinous thing in the later books(which if they made shaes death a self defense killing, they will certainly cut this event out) i have read comments online that just further add to what im saying. on one site someone said something along the lines that tyrion finally found the happiness he deserves. it totally misses the mark of what those two scenes were supposed to show. removing tyrions altercation with jaime about tysha also hurts. tyrion threatens to kill jaime and then tells jaime how cersei has been fucking everyone since he had been gone.

you can still read the books and enjoy the show, i still like the show a lot, but when you have read the books you sometimes scratch your head at some of the stuff they have altered.

Edited by bran

I feel like by not reading the books it made this finale even more epic for me. To me this was an excellent way to end the season. No filler in there and was awesome all the way through. Can't wait to see more Stannis next season, and Tywin getting offed by Tyrion was bittersweet. The Lannister name seems to be in deep shit at this point and I loved Tywin's character. Brans bit with the Bloodraven was cool. Bri Vs Hound was amazing, too.

All in all I can't wait to see what next season holds. Best show on TV.

• Like 1

I feel like by not reading the books it made this finale even more epic for me. To me this was an excellent way to end the season. No filler in there and was awesome all the way through. Can't wait to see more Stannis next season, and Tywin getting offed by Tyrion was bittersweet. The Lannister name seems to be in deep shit at this point and I loved Tywin's character. Brans bit with the Bloodraven was cool. Bri Vs Hound was amazing, too.

All in all I can't wait to see what next season holds. Best show on TV.

Completely agree, GRM is on the show too so maybe the choices are for good :shrugs:

Saw the episode in the morning. I don't know if I liked this season finale. It felt a bit rushed. Can't believe Tyrion killed his father. That was shocking. Fuckin' Game of Thrones, man.

Oh, I liked the fight between The Hound and Brienne. She's such a badass. It's damn depressing that we now need to wait 1 year for new episodes. At least, we are only 3 months short of The Walking Dead.

Edited by Nosaj Thing

Saw the episode in the morning. I don't know if I liked this season finale. It felt a bit rushed. Can't believe Tyrion killed his father. That was shocking. Fuckin' Game of Thrones, man.

Oh, I liked the fight between The Hound and Brienne. She's such a badass. It's damn depressing that we now need to wait 1 year for new episodes. At least, we are only 3 months short of The Walking Dead.

Yeah, only that TWD is slow as shit and has shit budget :lol:

i just hope the show goes into detail about who bloodraven is. in the books his history is only touched upon. you get much more depth about bloodraven if you read the dunk and egg novella's

For sure, but it's still better than most shit TV shows at the moment.

I forgot to add that I fuckin' loved the ending song. Fuck man, I love this show.

Yeah, they mixed Rains of casta.....with a more epic version of the main song :D

For sure, but it's still better than most shit TV shows at the moment.

I forgot to add that I fuckin' loved the ending song. Fuck man, I love this show.

I bought the soundtrack the day it came out. It's the best one of all the seasons imo. Some really great stuff.

I rewatched the finale and it definitely was one of my least favorite episodes of the season. I fucking hate Bran. His voice, his dumb wig and his awful story. Felt like I was watching Pirates of the Carribean with that skeleton fight. Talk about jumping the shark.

Oddly enough I had actually predicted that Bronn would end up going with Tyrion like Varys did until episode 7 made it clear that they were saying farewell for good. But atleast they sent someone familiar. If you didn't catch it - Varys decides to leave after hearing the bells chime. Remember the Blackwater episode? "I've always hated the bells."

Next season is going to be great and the material excites me the most, more so than what I knew would happen this season.

Question for book readers - SPOILER

When do you think Jorah will find Tyrion? Next season or the following?
Edited by Broskirose

spoiler reply for broski

it will definitely be next season, no doubt

the cool thing about that scene in the book was instead of skeletons they were the nights watch oathbreakers that killed lord commander mormont and took over crasters keep. the oath breakers wander the forest and were killed by coldhands(not in the show) and were never burned so they became wights and attacked bran and crew.

Edited by bran

Do we have any indication of when The Winds of Winter will be released?

If it gets a set release date I'll buy the first 5 books and read them and then get TWOW instead of just reading Wikipedia/ASOIAF Wiki articles.

no clue broski, the book has been in production since 2010. the first 3 books were released in a span of 4 years since then we have 2 books in 11 years. i have seen guesses from early 2015 to fall 2016(and later) martins editor doesnt even have a clue, she said lately that she hopes she gets it in a reasonable amount of time and george has only given her 168 pages and that was in february of 2013(this book is supposed to be massive in size)

she even said she thinks he may need to go to an 8th book(which i think he will) so right now it is basically a pretty shitty situation for the book readers and it is kind of grim as more people think he will never finish the story.

to lighten the mood a little if someone started reading the books when they first came out people have been waiting almost 20 years to find out what the fuck happened to benjen stark :lol:

Edited by bran
  • Like 1

Nice avatar btw. During my rewatch I realized that they actually played like badguy villain music during Stannis's arrival. :rofl-lol:

The showrunner must hate him.

yeah they did :lol:

they do seem to hate stannis that is for sure, and they glorify the shit out of tyrion. i want to see if a certain scene makes its way into the show next season that features tyrion in a really, really bad way. my guess it will be cut :lol:

Enough said.

“Robert could piss in a cup and men would call it wine, but I offer them cold clear water and they squint in suspicion and mutter to each other about how queer it tastes.

stannis has so many awesome lines, but that one is the truth.

my favorites:

future spoilers:

The king cut him off. “We all know what my brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right.” Stannis rose to his feet. “I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt.”

" You haggle like a crone with a codfish, Lord Snow. Did Ned Stark father you on some fishwife?"

"Ramsay Snow, you mean. The Bastard."
"Never call him that!" Spittle sprayed from Theon's lips. "Ramsay Bolton, not Ramsay Snow, never Snow, never, you have to remember his name, or he will hurt you."
"He is welcome to try. Whatever name he goes by."
"Her own father got this child on her?
We are well rid of her, then. I will not suffer such abominations here. This is not King's Landing."
"‘Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne."
we should really start a mannis thread :lol: fuck D+D for what they have done to stannis :fuckyou:
Edited by bran

Gotta say, glad there was no

Stoneheart. Never a fan. The Red Wedding has become a true tv pop culture moment and Stoneheart kinda detracts from it, imo.

The Stannis arrival could have been so much more epic. Still annoyed!

Brienne / Hound fight was brutal! Love how it dissolved from classic swordplay to a pure thuggish scrap. Hounds kick to the cunt was lolz.

Been a great season overall. Loved the Viper/Mountain fight and the Battle at the wall was managed to top Blackwater.

Edited by Dead Flower
  • Like 2

Do we have any indication of when The Winds of Winter will be released?

If it gets a set release date I'll buy the first 5 books and read them and then get TWOW instead of just reading Wikipedia/ASOIAF Wiki articles.

no clue broski, the book has been in production since 2010. the first 3 books were released in a span of 4 years since then we have 2 books in 11 years. i have seen guesses from early 2015 to fall 2016(and later) martins editor doesnt even have a clue, she said lately that she hopes she gets it in a reasonable amount of time and george has only given her 168 pages and that was in february of 2013(this book is supposed to be massive in size)

she even said she thinks he may need to go to an 8th book(which i think he will) so right now it is basically a pretty shitty situation for the book readers and it is kind of grim as more people think he will never finish the story.

There's several preview chapters floating around the net along with the stuff that's been previewed at conventions. Not going to spoil them for the TV show fans, but wasn't it also said that the big "events" that ADWD was building up to were already completed and cut from Dance, solely cause of book length?

Some of the preview chapters from early on in the book seem to take place after some of those events. So I assuming that those "events" will probably just end season 6 if they stick with the books as long as they can.

Actually should have just used spoiler tags.

Edited by AtariLegend

Enough said.

“Robert could piss in a cup and men would call it wine, but I offer them cold clear water and they squint in suspicion and mutter to each other about how queer it tastes.

stannis has so many awesome lines, but that one is the truth.

my favorites:

future spoilers:

The king cut him off. “We all know what my brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right.” Stannis rose to his feet. “I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt.”

" You haggle like a crone with a codfish, Lord Snow. Did Ned Stark father you on some fishwife?"

"Ramsay Snow, you mean. The Bastard."
"Never call him that!" Spittle sprayed from Theon's lips. "Ramsay Bolton, not Ramsay Snow, never Snow, never, you have to remember his name, or he will hurt you."
"He is welcome to try. Whatever name he goes by."
"Her own father got this child on her?
We are well rid of her, then. I will not suffer such abominations here. This is not King's Landing."
"‘Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne."
we should really start a mannis thread :lol: fuck D+D for what they have done to stannis :fuckyou:

People who watch the show have no idea why half the book readers love Stannis. The other half love Danaerys. Weirdos.

• Like 1