The T.V. Show Thread

Georgy Zhukov

• 4 weeks later...

Mad Dogs on Amazon is extremely entertaining. Unrealistic - but very entertaining  

It's got Steve Zahn, the black dude from Weeds and 40 year old virgins, Christopher from Sopranos and Ben Chaplin. Billy Zane. 

It's basically a series about the most F'd up vacation you could ever have. 

1 hour ago, Apollo said:

Mad Dogs on Amazon is extremely entertaining. Unrealistic - but very entertaining  

It's got Steve Zahn, the black dude from Weeds and 40 year old virgins, Christopher from Sopranos and Ben Chaplin. Billy Zane. 

It's basically a series about the most F'd up vacation you could ever have. 

Have you seen the original, British version? If not, you should check it out. It's obviously the same show, but at the same time strikingly different.

On 3/23/2016 at 1:57 AM, PappyTron said:

I can't wait for Banshee to return.

Even Im waiting for Banshee, it was supposed to come out in Jan, but it got delayed to April I guess, sadly this would be the last season, it is an amazing show. 

24 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Even Im waiting for Banshee, it was supposed to come out in Jan, but it got delayed to April I guess, sadly this would be the last season, it is an amazing show. 

Honestly, most people seem to have never heard of it. I honestly can't wait for the inevitable Burton vs Hood fist fight. I just hope that Hood doesn't pull a Chayton and just shoot Burton. :lol:

2 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

Ooh. I can't watch weekly because I can't take the cliffhangers! I usually wait until the whole season is done before watching. In the same vein, I haven't seen any of The Walking Dead so far this season. :D

I know what you mean, even I do that sometimes. 

I stopped Watching Walking Dead after mid season 4, it just got too much for me. 

1 minute ago, Slash787 said:

I know what you mean, even I do that sometimes. 

I stopped Watching Walking Dead after mid season 4, it just got too much for me. 

I started doing it with shows that have mid season breaks. I mean, 6 episodes then a three month break before the final 6? To hell with that. Sometimes I don't even watch shows until they are done (The Wire) or virtually done (didn't watch Breaking Bad until just before the last season started, and didn't start Game Of Thrones until just before last season started). Just makes it hard when people yell "OMFG!! I can't believe that XXXX was killed!!"

• 3 weeks later...

Howzat! Kerry Packer's War

(I do not know if this is TV or film as it was an Aussie film but split into two halves but I'll just chuck it here)

I was impressed with the similarity between the actors and the people they're playing; Rod Marsh literally looks identical to Rod Marsh; Greg Chappell, Greg Chappell; the actor who plays Packer looks a bit like Packer. Grieg, a bit like Grieg (a prick haha). There was a suitable impressive amount of 1970's hair to give off a feel of authenticity - Usually they do not bother about this stuff in biopics and you get blond guys playing guys with black hair. The acting was strong also. Ultimately this is an engaging and politically charged look at World Series Cricket, also possessing a lot of humour. Unfortunately it is let down by 'Pom bashing', a favourite Aussie pastime. Packer is turned into a 'rebellious' anti-hero (Aussies love rebels - Ned Kelly, a brutal murderer, is a national hero!) taking on the toffy nosed MCC establishment. Is there some truth in this? Partially, but what it is conveniently leaving out is the fratricidal war within Australian cricket itself, the players who stayed loyal and actually disagreed (and still do) with WSC, Simpson, Border, Kim Hughes, et al. This was far from a simple Aussie v Poms thing. It actually was far more a civil war in Australian cricket, and effected Australian cricket much more than it effected English cricket. It is definitely partizan. Packer is the (anti) hero here, his cricketers also; the voice of those who disagreed with the whole enterprise are not giving a fair hearing.

After an unsatisfying away fixture there's nothing better to soothe the soul than some of the Old West (or a studio lot out in Southern California in the mid 50s!), yes Steve McQueen as Josh Randle, moral, upright, an eye for the ladies, a sawed off Winchester pump, a prediliction for bangin' out shots of whiskey but most importantly, a kind heart as he wanders through the West as a gun for hire, sorting out the problems of the good and the not so good folk of the American West, Wanted Dead or Alive :)