The UYI's documentary....

Snowmass

thing is -and thats probably the main technical argument for not releasing anything- they hardly did any multitracks (exept maybe Ritz88, Tokyo92 and Paris92) or really film. it more seems that they did some back ups mostly only, meaning:

- stereo DAT soundboard recording "on the fly" from every UYI-show

- video (S)VHS from the stuff shown on the big screens "on the fly" from every UYI show

it would not be professional standards for a release, because nothing can be mixed afterwards. if vocals are too loud or the lead guitar not loud enough....nothing to do. if the videocrew didnt catch the best shots....nothing you can do or mix different.

that being said we all know the leaked Proshots like Indainapoli91, St. Louis92, Chicago92 and Oklahoma92 and the quality is still good enough for us to be pleased. keep in mind we do have leaked copies only, so that the "vault masters" surely look and sound even better, good to be seen on the official videoclips like "Live and let Die", "Dead Horse", "Welcome to the Jungle (Live Era)"....in there are many shots from UYI live shows and the dvd quality looks really really good!

Since you have not heard or seen any of the audio or video how do you know there are no mutlitracks or pro shot video? Slash claims every show was recorded..we don't know the quality.............

Marc, at the point right now all seems to be on ice and before Axl would be open up to make peace with you and also the AFD era nothing will really change. Knowing Axl's behaviour when he is pissed.....well, it can be a loooooooong time process before this would ever work out some cool.

my question is:

theoretical speaking, if Axl might never be ok "this lifetime" with anything to be released regarding AFD/UYI Guns.....would that really be the main or only reason we fans would never see the so important historical "video-work" you've done for a band which made it to the biggest band worldwide in 1992?

or would you ever consider to release them anyhow if the right offer/time comes? would this even work or are there legal issues you can't overcome without

Axl giving green light?

your work is such an important part for the rock n roll-history!! there arent many (or any!) bands who have people like you documentating the very early days to such an detailed awesome extent!

thank you so much for all your work!!

It's not something I would take on my self but I think it should be out there for the fans to enjoy. If the right person wanted to do it, I'm in.

Since you have not heard or seen any of the audio or video how do you know there are no mutlitracks or pro shot video? Slash claims every show was recorded..we don't know the quality.............

there ARE Proshots from about every single show of the 192 UYI shows. thing is those are mostly "on-the-fly" back ups only (a few exceptions hinted in my post above). GN'R told so in older interviews, also as kinda proof you could verify some clips of the official "LALD", "Dead Horse" and "WTTJ/Live Era" videos and compare them with fanrecorded screenshots of some of them....they are the exact same camera angles!

audio = all soundboard but most likely no or rarely any multitracks, they also told about this when combining "Live Era", that they didnt have enough quality ones to pick from and that Del went through all the DATs and cassettes looking for quality versions to use.

that being said i'm hell sure the DATs still sound some nice and any live show would be welcomed from old Guns! but just like the Argentina 1992 "Welcome To The Rumour Jungle" (which appears to be non tv sourced but a recording straight from the soundboard) they might not sound highest quality level and cant be mixed because they dont have multitracks, just one(!) stereotrack.

i've been recording smaller bands for ages myself and the results by recording straight from soundboards hardly are pleasing. often drums and vocals are too loud, guitars not loud enough, sometimes guitars are even missing.

Marc has done this in the 80s with Guns and probably will also tell you that his audience recordings mostly captured the live sound better than the ones from the soundboard.

there ARE Proshots from about every single show of the 192 UYI shows. thing is those are mostly "on-the-fly" back ups only (a few exceptions hinted in my post above). GN'R told so in older interviews, also as kinda proof you could verify some clips of the official "LALD", "Dead Horse" and "WTTJ/Live Era" videos and compare them with fanrecorded screenshots of some of them....they are the exact same camera angles!

audio = all soundboard but most likely no or rarely any multitracks, they also told about this when combining "Live Era", that they didnt have enough quality ones to pick from and that Del went through all the DATs and cassettes looking for quality versions to use.

that being said i'm hell sure the DATs still sound some nice and any live show would be welcomed from old Guns! but just like the Argentina 1992 "Welcome To The Rumour Jungle" (which appears to be non tv sourced but a recording straight from the soundboard) they might not sound highest quality level and cant be mixed because they dont have multitracks, just one(!) stereotrack.

i've been recording smaller bands for ages myself and the results by recording straight from soundboards hardly are pleasing. often drums and vocals are too loud, guitars not loud enough, sometimes guitars are even missing.

Marc has done this in the 80s with Guns and probably will also tell you that his audience recordings mostly captured the live sound better than the ones from the soundboard.

You may be right but I have never read that .............do you have a link to the interview where "GnR" (?) says this in older interviews? I would love to read that..............The Grateful Dead put out old 2 track SB recordings as part of the Dick's Picks series of archive recordings which are not perfect but sound good so I doubt fans would complain if Guns did the same............ :shrugs:

Edited by classicrawker

too lazy to search those interviews but they are there (check when they did talk about Live Era).
i'm all with you with releasing all those jewels 1985-1993. but next to Axl-Slash hatred the excuse might also be this lame one: "technical issues, because mostly only available as 2-track which doesnt meet our standards!".

"LALD"/Live Wembley91 from the LALD CD single/B-side and "Yesterdays"/Live 01/92 Las Vegas from the Yesterdays CD single/B-side gives us what those soundboards might sound in general. i'd take those anytime and would pay for them big cash if they ever decide to do it the Metallica-way with releasing every single live show in audio officially.

Kurt Loder/Duff 1992 interview. The 11:55 mark Duff gets into the documentary. He says they have over 200 hours and it's going to be a documentary with videos. They will explain the ending of the videos of Don't Cry and Nov Rain etc...

**Amazing that Duff is still alive. He was so bloated and wasted. I'm guessing that was him 24/7 back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH6nf3VmNhE

Duff and slash really turned their lives around. Both of them are sober and healthy. They even gave up smoking which I thought would never happen. They are both very lucky to even be alive after what they put their bodies through,

Which is why I can't understand that Axl doesn't or won't at least talk to Slash now.

But then again,if it were to all work miraculously work out and they talked or worked together again. Just how would it all go down with practically everyone being sober/clean but Axl?Cause Axl still drinks doesn't he?

I find that so odd in the GN'R world. All the dopies/drunks are clean now and Axl still parties,granted on a less extreme as the others. But back in the day,it was proclaimed that Axl was the cleaner one and everybody else was fucked up.

• 2 months later...

Duff and slash really turned their lives around. Both of them are sober and healthy. They even gave up smoking which I thought would never happen. They are both very lucky to even be alive after what they put their bodies through,

Mark, I guess it was "ok" because they were still able to function and perform back in the day, where Adler was not. Slash OD'd in San Francisco or Oakland correct?