Do you think Axl needs a few years off?

As much as I love seeing GNR in concert (8 times) even with Axl's on/off vocal range. I was wondering if Axl needs to take 2-3 years off.

during the 02 tour Axl voice was bad, he took like 3 1/2 years off and when they played in 06 his voice while not perfect was in pretty good shape, not to mention he was in good shape himself. They did 70ish shows and then took another 2 1/2 year break (minus the short 07 tour) then when they came back in late 09/early 10 Axl was in top form vocally and pretty good physically. Since then they have toured regularly taking only a few months off at a time and his voice and physical appearance have suffered

Just wondering if Axl needs the time off to get his motivation back to be in top form vocally and better physically. He may be lacking the motivation to put in the dedication to be in top form to tour as a regular routine of touring can be boring for him. Maybe he should do 70 shows then take 3 years off, do 70 more shows take a few more years off....etc.

I'll still attend shows in my area regardless. Just a thought of why his voice is suffering the last 2 years.

Fuck no. Axl is not getting any younger. Just put out the Chinese leftovers and tour. He's going to be 60 before we know it. The time is now, for everything. Had enough of silent years as a Gn'R fan.

Plus, I don't really think his voice will improve enough (or at all) to make a few years off worth it. Terrible idea imo.

Edited by Rovim

Time off will mean its all over. At this point too many years have been wasted to go back to being silent. They could easily package up the Chinese leftovers to give the fans something to enjoy. At the same time the current band could be doing a mixture of touring, writing and recording for an all new Album within the next couple years. It just seems like common sense to me which is why it probably won't happen.

Edited by yourcrazy

Time off will mean its all over. At this point too many years have been wasted to go back to being silent. They could easily package up the Chinese leftovers to give the fans something to enjoy. At the same time the current band could be doing a mixture of touring, writing and recording for an all new Album within the next couple years. It just seems like common sense to me which is why it probably won't happen.

I like how the last sentence in your post has become a Gn'R standard saying so those who read it know the writer of the post is not delusional.

I have no idea what he does with himself when not touring obviously but assuming there is more play than work then he has had plenty of time off since the last show (Gov Ball I think?) and the start of the SA tour. That's a lot more me time that your average 51 year old has.

I think the OP's question is a valid one. And my answer would have to be yes; I really do. When considering the lawsuits that he's probably still involved with in some capacity with Activision, the hurt, anger, and frustration of Erin's recent acts of selling some very sentimental belongings, and the selfish actions of Slash and Co. still very alive and haunting, I think a moderate to long break would do Axl a world of good. I'm not suggesting anything extreme. Maybe 5-6 years maximum. Give him some time to think about the direction he wants to take the legacy of the band without all the pressure of the industry banging down his door. I can only begin to imagine the amount of stress he must be carrying on his shoulders right now. The industry wants Guns N Roses music, the fans want Guns N Roses music, hell, even the band members want Guns N Roses music, but non one stops to consider the extreme amount of stress that Axl carries on his shoulders to appease every one. He's damned if he does; damned if he doesn't. It's more important to me that he recuperates from the years of legal aftermath, sabotage, and frustration than it is that I, or anyone else, hears his beautiful music in 2014. I don't know the man personally, but yet, I can somehow feel how his soul must be weighed down with all the demands of his fanbase and an industry that only care about more, more, more.

Ideally, he should take a few years off from the road... realistically, he spent far too long dicking about in the studio to afford himself the luxury of a hiatus - If he wants to make a real go of Guns n roses it's important that he's taken the time he's already had (they've been off the road since July).

If he took a few years off, It's debatable whether or not he would come back in any better shape, the 02 era and 2011-present is all about not working out, not taking care of his body, not taking care of his voice. 2006 was a Axl that had got into shape and was trying to put on great shows... that was a result of working on his health and working on his voice. I think that the most likely scenario of another hiatus is Axl coming back even more out of shape and just going through the motions as he would most likely sit on his ass/party for the 3yrs.

I think the OP's question is a valid one. And my answer would have to be yes; I really do. When considering the lawsuits that he's probably still involved with in some capacity with Activision, the hurt, anger, and frustration of Erin's recent acts of selling some very sentimental belongings, and the selfish actions of Slash and Co. still very alive and haunting, I think a moderate to long break would do Axl a world of good. I'm not suggesting anything extreme. Maybe 5-6 years maximum. Give him some time to think%

Axl is a lost cause, people. I can't think of any other musician who was so high and then so low. He was one of the most beloved musicians on the PLANET, and he could have taken it even further, release so much more incredible music.

But all of that is gone now and forever.

he needs to retire.

or reunite with gnr

I was always under the impression that a band had to break up before they could reunite?

Fortunately for fans like me who absolutely love today's lineup, they'll be reuniting in South America in a couple of short months. Only reunion I need.

he needs to retire.

or reunite with gnr

I was always under the impression that a band had to break up before they could reunite?

Fortunately for fans like me who absolutely love today's lineup, they'll be reuniting in South America in a couple of short months. Only reunion I need.

sure