Springsteen Joins The "Official Bootleg" Community NOW WITH REASONABLE PRICING!!!

axlslash

This was posted on Bruce's official Facebook page today, after he hinted at it in a few interviews last week. This is a total game-changer; Bruce has one of the most vibrant bootleg trading communities is rock today. This may effectively kill it.

Coming soon: fans will be able to purchase special USB wristbands online and at tour venues, and use to redeem one live show download, starting with the January 26th concert in Cape Town.

Downloads will be available within approximately 48 hours of the show, and online orders will begin next week!

1185546_10152139482845250_827920977_n.jp

UPDATE: Backstreets now reporting that the shows will be available for direct download on the Pearl Jam price scale

On Friday, a press release announced that Springsteen's upcoming concerts would be available as official audio downloads, enabled by USB wristbands available at each show and online. On Saturday, we took a closer look at this astounding new development, considering how fans have long yearned for official live audio, with hopes (and also sources suggesting) that this effort would evolve to match the more road-tested distribution methods and pricing of bands like Phish and Pearl Jam. Today... we do the evolution.

Backstreets has just confirmed that, in addition to the USB wristband sales model, Springsteen will also be offering direct audio downloads through his official Live Nation online store following each show on the upcoming leg, with no physical purchase required. There will be two options for audio formats: MP3 (320 kbps) or FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec). Pricing will match Pearl Jam's, at $9.99 for MP3 or $14.99 for FLAC. Hard to say fairer than that.

This plan is in place for at least each show on the South Africa/Australia/New Zealand leg. Support it, and it's hard to see why they'd stop there.

Edited by axlslash
  • Like 1

I LOVE this!!! I love that Metallica does it and I love the The Black Crowes do it! This is a great (and cheap) way for artists to make additional money off their tour and it really helps the fans with a desire for live material. Best souvenir from a show someone can have.

I just hope Springsteen will also offer the paid downloads to people who weren't there and thus couldn't buy a wristband. I also really hope they'll start offering older shows as well. I've seen him 4 times in the past 6 years and I'd buy all those shows in a heatbeat.

Slash did this in 2010.

But that was only for the Manchester show, right?
No, it was for the whole tour. I have the HOB Hollywood one aka the Always On The Run gig. Its the only one I know of that Always On The Run was played at, and Myles sings Jungle, not Todd. I want the Atlanta gig I was at, and I know where to get it, I have just been too lazy to buy it.

I LOVE this!!! I love that Metallica does it and I love the The Black Crowes do it! This is a great (and cheap) way for artists to make additional money off their tour and it really helps the fans with a desire for live material. Best souvenir from a show someone can have.

I just hope Springsteen will also offer the paid downloads to people who weren't there and thus couldn't buy a wristband. I also really hope they'll start offering older shows as well. I've seen him 4 times in the past 6 years and I'd buy all those shows in a heatbeat.

You'll be able to order on line. I doubt they'll go back into the vault and release old ones, but glad they've started doing this!

I have the official recordings of the first show I went to (The Who in 2002) and PJ in Chicago 2006, and a Kenny Wayne Shepherd show I went to got released as his Live In Chicago album. Nothing like a soundboard of a show you were at!

You'll be able to order on line. I doubt they'll go back into the vault and release old ones, but glad they've started doing this!

I have the official recordings of the first show I went to (The Who in 2002) and PJ in Chicago 2006, and a Kenny Wayne Shepherd show I went to got released as his Live In Chicago album. Nothing like a soundboard of a show you were at!

Well, maybe not all the way back. But the Wrecking Ball, Working On A Dream and Magic tours are good enough for me. ;):P

Slash did this in 2010.

No, it was for the whole tour. I have the HOB Hollywood one aka the Always On The Run gig. Its the only one I know of that Always On The Run was played at, and Myles sings Jungle, not Todd. I want the Atlanta gig I was at, and I know where to get it, I have just been too lazy to buy it.
Really? I'd love to get the Slash gig in Amsterdam in 2012. Any clue if that's (been) up for sale? Edited by username

Well, maybe not all the way back. But the Wrecking Ball, Working On A Dream and Magic tours are good enough for me. ;):P

Slash did this in 2010.

Really? I'd love to get the Slash gig in Amsterdam in 2012. Any clue if that's (been) up for sale?
I don't think any of the Apocalyptic Love tour was for sale. All I know of is 2010 and Made In Stoke. I would LOVE to have a copy of the Jacksonville 2012 gig, where they played Simple Man. I'll post a link to the HOB gig in Downloads later once I get it uploaded into my 4shared. My only thing with that is We're All Gonna Die (sang by Todd :headbang:) is on the same track as Nothing To Say, making it like a 10 minute long single track. But other than that it's fine

$40 per wristband, at least for the South Africa/Austrailia legs. What a fucking ripoff. Bootlegs it is for now. They've indicated that they're working on a more competitive model, ala the PJ $10/$12/$15 prices, but still.....wow. They're really emphasizing that this is more about the wristbands as concert merch than the downloads themselves. Hope to see this improve, and fast...

$40 per wristband, at least for the South Africa/Austrailia legs. What a fucking ripoff. Bootlegs it is for now. They've indicated that they're working on a more competitive model, ala the PJ $10/$12/$15 prices, but still.....wow. They're really emphasizing that this is more about the wristbands as concert merch than the downloads themselves. Hope to see this improve, and fast...

Still idiotic. Assuming the average gig would cost 10 to (at the very most) 15 dollar, a 25-30 dollar wristband seems pretty pricey to me. I'd rather just pay the $10,- online and they can keep the freakin' wristband.

After all, how hard can it be to plug a recording device into the soundboard and taking an hour to cut it into tracks and put it on a website.

Even though I don't care for Springsteen, it's never a bad thing when someone else jumps on the official bootleg bandwagon. Especially someone as prolific as Bruce.

Particularly when it's someone who switches up setlists so much. Order 5 shows and you'll probably get 50+ different songs. Not like MB20 (who gave Bruce the wristband idea) where it's the same show every night.

• Like 1

UPDATE: Backstreets now reporting that the shows will be available for direct download on the Pearl Jam price scale

On Friday, a press release announced that Springsteen's upcoming concerts would be available as official audio downloads, enabled by USB wristbands available at each show and online. On Saturday, we took a closer look at this astounding new development, considering how fans have long yearned for official live audio, with hopes (and also sources suggesting) that this effort would evolve to match the more road-tested distribution methods and pricing of bands like Phish and Pearl Jam. Today... we do the evolution.

Backstreets has just confirmed that, in addition to the USB wristband sales model, Springsteen will also be offering direct audio downloads through his official Live Nation online store following each show on the upcoming leg, with no physical purchase required. There will be two options for audio formats: MP3 (320 kbps) or FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec). Pricing will match Pearl Jam's, at $9.99 for MP3 or $14.99 for FLAC. Hard to say fairer than that.

This plan is in place for at least each show on the South Africa/Australia/New Zealand leg. Support it, and it's hard to see why they'd stop there.

Great news! ^_^ ^_^ Edited by username

THEY'RE HERE!!!!! No setlists good enough to make me jump just yet (though the Pete Seeger tribute from the January 28th show makes me think). Still, nice to see these out there. Glad to see Bruce join the "official" world!

http://www.store2.livenation.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wa/artist?sourceCode=FANWEB&categoryName=Live+Downloads&artistName=Bruce+Springsteen

• 2 weeks later...

I got the boot from Johannesburg... LOVE IT. Sure the sound isn't flawless, but it's better than any audience recording ever. It's like you are there.

The setlists so far this year have been off the charts! Adelaide just now:

01. (LOVE IS LIKE A) HEAT WAVE
02. JACKSON CAGE
03. She's the One
04. BACKSTREETS (w/ SAD EYES interlude)
05. COVER ME
06. High Hopes
07. Just Like Fire Would
08. Hungry Heart
09. BETTER DAYS (Sign request)
10. The Promised Land (Sign request)
11. The River
12. American Skin (41 Shots)
13. LONG WALK HOME
14. Pay Me My Money Down
15. Shackled and Drawn
16. Radio Nowhere
17. Lonesome Day
18. The Ghost of Tom Joad
19. Badlands

Encore:
20. HUNTER OF INVISIBLE GAME
21. JUNGLELAND
22. Born to Run
23. RAISE YOUR HAND (Sign request)
24. Dancing in the Dark
25. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
26. ROCKIN' ALL OVER THE WORLD
27. I'll Work for Your Love (solo acoustic)
28. Thunder Road (solo acoustic)

Shut up and take all my money!!!!