Bucharest 2010 - the best vocals from Axl since the '90s?

LuanVictor was kind enough to share this link in the Audio Downloads section of the forum: https://mega.co.nz/#!fAkTGDgY!G69fFH87y4NKMB0DfZa4wSBfGE9TNrgPI3VU9Q8KYiQ

I used to be a big connoisseur of GN'R boots back during the '06 tour. I listened to literally almost every gig on that tour. After they kept touring post-ChiDem, I stopped paying as much attention to all the live performances, but I have to say, this concert may be the very best I've heard - vocally, at least - since the '90s. Axl's scarily consistent on all the tracks, and if you picture a 1990s Axl singing these songs, sometimes you can pretty much picture it.

Listen to IRS, Don't Cry (how he manages to hold the deep rasp during the outro is particularly rare and impressive), Nightrain, Paradise City (a song he often goes into 'Mickey Mouse' voice for nowadays, but he's full rasp here), or Rocket Queen. I think this may be Axl's strongest vocal performance I've heard in ages and I felt it deserved a retrospective thread in the main section since there ain't much goin' on right now anyway.

If you guys disagree and think another concert was better, feel free to post links!

I'm also a big fan of the Dublin gig from 2010 (I think when he got pissed off and stopped running around stage his voice really improved) and the Chile concert sounded great, but I haven't heard full bootlegs of either show. For the record my favourite shows from '06 were Download Festival, Rock Am Ring and Universal Ampitheatre (probably an all-time top ten gig for me! the setlist was crazy).

Thanks for sharing it, dude.

That Rocket Queen...the only word for it is blistering. Axl at his best.

It's very odd how Rocket Queen was one of his weakest songs (vocally) in 2002 and even 2006, but in 2010 it seems to be his strongest. It's like the token by which I judge the concerts when I listen to it -- Chile 2010 is probably the best Rocket Queen I've heard since 1993. This one is close to it, and may even be better. Need to listen to it a few more times.

• Like 1

Downloading...

i'm on 'you could be mine' right now and it's sending chills down my spine.

there's more of a depth to his rasp here than usual... not quite on par with the '90s but not as shrill and high-pitched as some of his lesser moments. definitely a nice balance - he sounds great.

one of the best versions of The Blues i've ever heard, too.

Listening to WTTJ right now. Full rasp and he's not out of breath. Some weak moments in Rocket Queen's outro and Sweet Child O' Mine but very minimal. So far, one of the best shows in 2010.

Thank you for sharing both LuanVictor and ER.

Update: That Don't Cry was amazing.

That November Rain outro was full of power and passion, just like in the old days. Goddamn, what a voice.

Listening to WTTJ right now. Full rasp and he's not out of breath. Some weak moments in Rocket Queen's outro and Sweet Child O' Mine but very minimal. So far, one of the best shows in 2010.

Thank you for sharing both LuanVictor and ER.

Update: That Don't Cry was amazing.

That November Rain outro was full of power and passion, just like in the old days. Goddamn, what a voice.

yeah, november rain is awesome. i forgot to mention that one.

you're probably not a big chidem fan but check out the street of dreams recording, you can get an idea of what it might have sounded like with '90s axl singing it. eerie.

i feel like i just stumbled upon a treasure trove.

If he had shown up at 2002 VMA's with these vocals then I doubt anyone would have cared what he looked like or who was in the band.

Amazing vocals here. He just has such great control of his voice. Makes me believe the theory that he was on steroids at this time, so much power. I loved Madagascar.

And Sorry was perfect here. He couldn't have hit the notes any better.

Edited by IncitingChaos

LuanVictor was kind enough to share this link in the Audio Downloads section of the forum: https://mega.co.nz/#!fAkTGDgY!G69fFH87y4NKMB0DfZa4wSBfGE9TNrgPI3VU9Q8KYiQ

I used to be a big connoisseur of GN'R boots back during the '06 tour. I listened to literally almost every gig on that tour. After they kept touring post-ChiDem, I stopped paying as much attention to all the live performances, but I have to say, this concert may be the very best I've heard - vocally, at least - since the '90s. Axl's scarily consistent on all the tracks, and if you picture a 1990s Axl singing these songs, sometimes you can pretty much picture it.

Listen to IRS, Don't Cry (how he manages to hold the deep rasp during the outro is particularly rare and impressive), Nightrain, Paradise City (a song he often goes into 'Mickey Mouse' voice for nowadays, but he's full rasp here), or Rocket Queen. I think this may be Axl's strongest vocal performance I've heard in ages and I felt it deserved a retrospective thread in the main section since there ain't much goin' on right now anyway.

If you guys disagree and think another concert was better, feel free to post links!

I'm also a big fan of the Dublin gig from 2010 (I think when he got pissed off and stopped running around stage his voice really improved) and the Chile concert sounded great, but I haven't heard full bootlegs of either show. For the record my favourite shows from '06 were Download Festival, Rock Am Ring and Universal Ampitheatre (probably an all-time top ten gig for me! the setlist was crazy).

That was my first GNR show and remains to this day my second favorite show that I've ever attended (only behind the London show with Duff). Axl was pretty much spot on on every song, except maybe IRS which I didn't like at any of the shows I went to.

Dublin 2010 is overrated.

Dublin 2010 is not over-rated, The show with Duff is over-rated... yeh, Duff came on-stage with the band but his voice wasn't that hot? In dublin, he remained consistent and with enough enough breath to sing the set with power can't say that for London.

This was 2006, but what a gig!

• Like 1

Yikes Dj! tune that guitar 'sweet chil o"mine' intro is as flat as a pancake... The vocals are pretty good though, considering this is usually a really awful song for Axl these days.

Edited by Tom2112

How, in 1 short year, did Axl's voice and weight just spiral out of control??

What...happened in 2011?!

He wasn't exactly trim in 2010. He kind of looked a mess. It's all about the voice. He'll probably never look all that great again, which sucks, but that's life.

How, in 1 short year, did Axl's voice and weight just spiral out of control??

What...happened in 2011?!

He wasn't exactly trim in 2010. He kind of looked a mess. It's all about the voice. He'll probably never look all that great again, which sucks, but that's life.

Honestly though, dude is mega rich and seemingly doesn't do much of anything during the off time. If your 1 job is to be active and look good on stage, hire a personal trainer already. I really don't have much sympathy for the man in that regard.