Bucharest 2010 - the best vocals from Axl since the '90s?

"Sweet Child" is always the test song for me. Listening to the Bucharest 2010 recording and there is some good rasp on it. Way better vocals than 99% of the SCOM performances since he came out of hiding in 2002 with the helium version of the song. Also not overly raspy like a lot of the shows during the UYI Tour. The peak for him with that song was in the late 80's. Since that time, he has rarely been able to sing it as well as he could during the club days. Bucharest 2010 definitely fits in the "rare" group.

Edited by GNRfan2008
  • Like 1

"Sweet Child" is always the test song for me. Listening to the Bucharest 2010 recording and there is some good rasp on it. Way better vocals than 99% of the SCOM performances since he came out of hiding in 2002 with the helium version of the song. Also not overly raspy like a lot of the shows during the UYI Tour. The peak for him with that song was in the late 80's. Since that time, he has rarely been able to sing it as well as he could during the club days. Bucharest 2010 definitely fits in the "rare" group.

Yeah, agree completely, SCOM was way too harsh during UYI days and from '02 onwards it's either been Mickey or too raspy. I skip listening to it on most bootlegs, but this Bucharest one was pretty good. Partially I skip listening to it because good performances of it are so rare, but also because it's the one song that I can't accept anyone but Slash playing. It's definitely the highlight of the Slash gigs I've been to, but I'm not fussed about the song when I've seen Axl live.

No argument on the consistency at all. I think when he was bringing it in 2006 though, he killed it more than he had since the 90's. He also had the moves and a better guitarist and drummer working for him too.

Fair enough. Visually, 2006 Axl was cooler, though I do like the jackets like that silver one in 2010, in a horrifically-ugly-on-anyone-else-but-Axl-can-pull-them-off way.

Why the hell is there not a boot of this otherwordly Out Ta Get Me from 3:23 in this video????!!!!:

It's awesome, yet so sad looking at videos from 06/07. I would love to know what happened with Axl mentally to take him out of the place he was in life and gain the weight and whatnot he did from 07-09. People wouldn't give him nearly as much shit if he still looked, and especially sounded like he did back then.

You can see him start to pack a bit of paunch in '07. I think it was just all the failures to release CD properly (promo, artwork, Finck), the fact that he thought it would change the world, how it was ultimately met with snark at best and indifference at worst that got to him.

• Like 2

I can only assume that all the setbacks, band members leaving, the music industry, being pressured for reunion, that whole year that GNR weren't allowed to tour due to legal reasons (2011) probably just took the fun out of the job.

However he has extended the shows, and most people over look this, so he must enjoy it to an extent. Maybe because Axl didn't regularly tour for 4 years was why he sounded so good in 2010.

11,12,12 and now 14 it's probably just wearing him down living away for months at a time and as long as it's an acceptable standard he might not see the need to go above and beyond. To me 2013 was a weird year for GNR, with limited shows, it seemed forced due to them doing enough shows to keep the GNR machine running, or having to meet a certain income laid on by tour agencies/UMG or whatever.

Oh well, see what 2014 brings.

Edited by Axl_morris

What... the fuck... happened between 2010 and 2011???!!!

Nothing. That's the problem. He seemingly put no effort into keeping up his physical appearance and voice during the nearly year he took off during that time, thus the RIR 2011 performance and nearly everything since, sans a couple decent moments during the 2011 US tour.

This is also why I have very little confidence in these upcoming shows.

Edited by sofine11

Nothing. That's the problem. He seemingly put no effort into keeping up his physical appearance and voice during the nearly year he took off during that time, thus the RIR 2011 performance and nearly everything since, sans a couple decent moments during the 2011 US tour.

Not necessarily. There could be a legitimate reason but we don't know, we can only speculate. It could be for example that the previous tour fucked up his throat and he's taking it easier now. But he never says anything, does he? He just expects everyone to support him by default and then gets angry when they question him.

It could be for example that the previous tour fucked up his throat and he's taking it easier now.

He did have to cancel the Sao Paulo and London private shows because of his voice. And as amazing as that 2010 voice is, it certainly doesn't sound healthy :lol:

Rio 2011 you can put down to not being prepared, but there have been few vocally decent shows since then (Atlantic City and Philly in 2012 are the two stand-outs to me).

That's why I can't say for certain that 2014 will be a repeat of 2013. I don't think you can ever tell with Axl. He may pull the rasp out of the bag again, he may not :shrugs: I think personal determination will be the key factor. If he believes he has something to prove, a record coming out, etc., he'll give it his all. If he's resigned himself to nostalgia touring, well...

I truly believe that Axl has suffered some kind of physical illness in 2011 and the constant touring during that time did not give him the opportunity to take care of himself and regain his form. its not just the voice, but his well documented physical change. If it was just the "back to mickey" vox then i wouldn't feel this strongly about this, but right down to his inability to move on stage without seemingly struggling really makes me think somethin was wrong with uncle axl.

Not necessarily. There could be a legitimate reason but we don't know, we can only speculate. It could be for example that the previous tour fucked up his throat and he's taking it easier now. But he never says anything, does he? He just expects everyone to support him by default and then gets angry when they question him.

Could be. I mean, the difference between 2010 & 2011-13 is certainly dramatic enough for something like that to have gone down during the off time.

Nowadays, he sounds like someone doing a bad Axl Rose impression at a karaoke bar.

Personally I thinks it's pretty simple. I've seen Axl preform in 2006, 2010,2011, 2012, and 2013. He was in good shape physically in 2006 and 2010. His physical shape has declined every year since 2010.

My hope is Axl is back in good shape in 2014. I would love to go the festival in OH. I'll wait until I see how SA turns out about before making plans though.

His physical shape has declined every year since 2010.

It's weird how it changes so dramatically. I mean, this is less than a week after Rio:

It's not as good as anything from 2010, but it's still pretty damn good, and better than a lot of gigs from 2012, and definitely better than anything from 2013.

• Like 1