Lenny Kravitz vs Terence Trent D'Arby vs Seal

machinegunner

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To get a better grip on the scale of Lenny Kravitz's accomplishments i thought i'd invite direct comparison with some of his comparable peers. Discussion about other, perhaps better, comparable peers would also be welcome... they were just the ones that stood out most to me - all modern, now rather 'veteran' enduring male black voices with soul stylings and all have had excellent a-grade songs. I rate them all or i would not put them on this thread...

Best singer? I'd have to give it to Mr. D'Arby, by miles! But which of his songs are very much better than Lenny Kravitz's best? His new music hasn't been largely heard. He kind of went underground. He is now known as Sanada Maitreya and lives in Italy with his wife, releasing music independently, and still performs live very regularly apparently.

Seal's existential angst in post-modern life is also quite compelling, he opens some dark doors there, for sure. But I also have trouble remembering memorable songs by him beyond Crazy and Kiss From A Rose... He once tried to sing Vienna by Ultravox, but failed miserably...

Jermaine Stewart is better than all three (Famous for the song 'We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off.... To have a good time..... Oh No"

Sounds like a lightweight.

Any thoughts/opinions/preferences concerning the other three, Money?

TTD as frontman for INXS could have been interesting

Too much of a burden for an already-established artist to bear, to take on another's songs and present them, etc - what about your own work, you know..? Ian Astbury also found this out fronting the new Doors.

Edited by machinegunner

Yeah, Jon Stevens said they wouldn't really let him join in the creative process either-probably to grub all the songwriting credit.

The core songwriting unit in INXS was Hutchence and Andrew Farris. Without Hutchence, they really have nothing. Another irreplaceable singular star.

Edited by machinegunner