The shaving thread

spunko12345

Aimed at the males really for tips, techniques and products but girls feel free to jump in.

I shave every other day cos I like to have a days growth to mix the look up. Hot flannel on the face for 2 minutes to loosen the stubble, ive started using conditioner instead of shaving foam as ive got sensitive skin and it plays up with foam. Then I go with a Gillete Fusion pro glide. Then a cold flannel to get the skin tight again. Finish it off with a bit of E45 cream and im looking sharp.

DE Razor with the whole procedure (wash face, make lather, apply lather with brush, shave - do two more passes, then apply the aftershave and balm). I am currently going through blades. I have tried Derbys and I am not so sure about them: decent second and third shave but my first is a bloodfest. What does everyone think of Derbys? I have Sharks and Astras next.

• Like 1

No matter how much I try, I cannot seem to grow an facial fuzz that seems worthy of the name of 'beard'. It's effectively bumfluff. I'm told that the more often I shave, the quicker, and thicker, it will grow back. Is this legit?

Given that beard-growing is effectively just the act of letting time pass, I'm still surprisingly bad at it.

Never used a razor. Tried it once but couldn't get the hang of it. I think I might be retarded. I only use electric. If I do it properly I still have a five o clock shadow though, so I've just been using the trimmer instead lately so I've got a short beard going at all times.

I'm told that the more often I shave, the quicker, and thicker, it will grow back.

That's what they say. It's like the male equivalent of an old wife's tale. :lol:

I think it's relative to your testosterone levels. Get squatting.

No matter how much I try, I cannot seem to grow an facial fuzz that seems worthy of the name of 'beard'. It's effectively bumfluff. I'm told that the more often I shave, the quicker, and thicker, it will grow back. Is this legit?

Given that beard-growing is effectively just the act of letting time pass, I'm still surprisingly bad at it.

Well, when I started shaving everyday I felt my beard growing faster and thicker, but there's actually no evidence that supports this.

Try shaving everyday and see what happens in like 2 months. You could also let it grow for 4-6 months then the hair with slower growing rates will also have enough time to appear.

Edit: 4-6 weeks, not months.

Edited by Chewbacca

Guest Len B'stard

I got a beard...sort of. I have crap facial hair, takes me like a week to grow a beard. It's gotten better now really but i just always keep some facial hair. Give it a trim when it gets over an inch long with clippers, some fuckin' grade or another. No reason other than i hate shaving, can't be fuckin' bothered with it and when i did do it i only bothered like, once a week so it was like constantly going from hair to clean, hair to clean so i just figure fuck it and just give my shit a trim with clippers once a week or fortnight. Such a fuckin' pain in the arse to have to shave every morning, fuck that.

Never used a razor. Tried it once but couldn't get the hang of it.

Whatcha mean? You just run it down your face.

I'm told that the more often I shave, the quicker, and thicker, it will grow back. Is this legit?

No. Shaving does not affect hair growth whatsoever. Shaved hair just looks "thicker" because it isn't tapered like the naturally finer ends of uncut hair. Same way a long bamboo cane flexes easily but the same cane cut short feels harder and tougher.

I should really invest in a DE razor. Been meaning to for a while now.

I keep seeing ads telling of "breakthroughs in shaving technology"...like dishwashing liquid and laundry powder their really is no end to what those boffins can come up with.

I shave in the shower, with a 2-3 bladed razor (disposable even) no problems, god damn what an industry they've made out of it...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YleuLyCUx28

I cannot recomend a DE razor more. It is basically a 'win win' situation. Firstly, it gives you a much better shave than cartridge razors: all of those multiple blades tear your skin up. Secondly, it is more an, 'experience' (and a bit old worldy): a lot of people like the feeling of the lather etc. Thirdly, it is so much cheaper. You can get about 100 blades for £15 whereas, with the cartridges it is 10 for £10 or something even higher because I am just going off the old school two-bladed Gillette Sensor Excel. Blades for all these fusions and things (with absurd vibrating electric gadgets in) are even dearer I imagine. And you will get about 3-4 shaves out of a DE Razor blade than you would, a cartridge. The price difference is beyond absurd!

Worse than the cartridges razors is the cans of squirty goo though. Yack. Imagine what that stuff is doing to your skin?

Fellow DE razor users, what blade do you use?

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

I keep seeing ads telling of "breakthroughs in shaving technology"...like dishwashing liquid and laundry powder their really is no end to what those boffins can come up with.

It's all a load of cobblers innit really? 'The new Gillette Sensor Mach 500 version 2.0 with spring mounted new quad blade technology for an EEEEEEEEEVEN closer shave, then stick 3 seconds of Daniel Craig stroking his chops and hey presto, we have a winner.

Granted, the one attribute cartridges have is 'time'. It is basically much quicker and easier (you can do it blindfold). That is why I still hold onto my sensor excel handle just in case I am really pressed for time. I would still try to use proper prep though. If you are not going to switch to a DE Razor, I would actually recomend chucking the cans of goo in the bin above all else and buying some real cream and a brush and doing proper prep. In a way, that is the most important thing of all.

• Like 1