The shaving thread

spunko12345

I got a beard...sort of. I have crap facial hair, takes me like a week to grow a beard. It's gotten better now really but i just always keep some facial hair. Give it a trim when it gets over an inch long with clippers, some fuckin' grade or another. No reason other than i hate shaving, can't be fuckin' bothered with it and when i did do it i only bothered like, once a week so it was like constantly going from hair to clean, hair to clean so i just figure fuck it and just give my shit a trim with clippers once a week or fortnight. Such a fuckin' pain in the arse to have to shave every morning, fuck that.

You can grow a full beard in a week? That's impressive.

I use a Remington electric razor for my face daily and usually a 2 or 3 blade disposable razor about once a week to clean up my side burns and get a closer all around shave.

I also use a 2 or 3 blade disposable to shave below about once or so a month....to keep it neat and tidy down there. ;)

I cannot recomend a DE razor more. It is basically a 'win win' situation. Firstly, it gives you a much better shave than cartridge razors: all of those multiple blades tear your skin up. Secondly, it is more an, 'experience' (and a bit old worldy): a lot of people like the feeling of the lather etc. Thirdly, it is so much cheaper. You can get about 100 blades for £15 whereas, with the cartridges it is 10 for £10 or something even higher because I am just going off the old school two-bladed Gillette Sensor Excel. Blades for all these fusions and things (with absurd vibrating electric gadgets in) are even dearer I imagine. And you will get about 3-4 shaves out of a DE Razor blade than you would, a cartridge. The price difference is beyond absurd!

Worse than the cartridges razors is the cans of squirty goo though. Yack. Imagine what that stuff is doing to your skin?

Fellow DE razor users, what blade do you use?

Im going through one of the sample packs right now. My favorites so far are Blue Bird and Feather. Derby was my least favorite. I literally had to toss it after a single pass, it was so uncomfortable.

Feathers are the sharpest there is; Japanese made samurai technology there, slice through your adam's apple. I am sort of pysching myself up for Feathers. Next up for me it is Sharks. I also have a packet of dobros or something or other which I have heard are terrible - worse than derbys even.

I use the cheapest disposable razors I can find and I shave my entire head and have been doing so for almost 20 years.

Very rarely do I cut myself and the shave is fine. Leaves me completely bald...like a baby

Edited by axl666axl666

Feathers are the sharpest there is; Japanese made samurai technology there, slice through your adam's apple. I am sort of pysching myself up for Feathers. Next up for me it is Sharks. I also have a packet of dobros or something or other which I have heard are terrible - worse than derbys even.

I was kind of nervous before I tried my first Feather since everyone is always talking about how sharp they are. Honestly, don't think I've even nicked myself once on the 2 Feathers I used. Very comfortable shave.

• Like 1

Ive got a Merkur double edge razor, Its the closest shave you can get but it gives me weird fucking spots on my neck.

If your prep and technique is good, it is probably the blade. What blade do you use?

I was kind of nervous before I tried my first Feather since everyone is always talking about how sharp they are. Honestly, don't think I've even nicked myself once on the 2 Feathers I used. Very comfortable shave.

I will try feathers when I have went through my starter pack (sharks, astra). Hopefully by then I will be forming some sort of view on what blade to stick with, buying a 100 pack of that said blade. I do know one thing: it will not be derby!

• 1 month later...

Just had a nighttime shave with a Shark and it was a vast improvement on Derby. Good blade Powerage, Sharks.

Don't think there's any Sharks in my sample pack. Just tried Trig and it was awful - almost as bad as Derby. Feather and Blue Bird are still my favorites.

How do you people bother with this shit? 10 mins to shave? Fuck that shit son.

Once you get used to it - and that's even exaggerating the difficulty - it doesn't have to take any longer than 3 to 5 minutes. Which is the time you'd take with any other shaving method.

It's really overhyped in terms of complication.

Edited by NGOG

I shave in the shower with a pump of cherry blossom shower gel and a bog standard 3 blade thing. Smoother than my ballbag after I shave it.

Definitely try the DE. The hype in this thread speaks for itself.

Why does Derby have such a bad rep in this thread? They're fine.

I have two packs of the things. Do you want them? If you want a face like Freddy Kruger please say, 'yes'.

Sharks are good but they do leave a bit of, ehh blood, on the first shave. By the third though they are fantastic and I seem to be getting about 7 shaves out of them. Next up it is Astra.

• Like 1

Why does Derby have such a bad rep in this thread? They're fine.

I have two packs of the things. Do you want them?

Yes.

Edited by NGOG

• 2 weeks later...

So I decided to switch from my Remington electric to a bladed razor...decided that I wanted to get closer shaves. After doing some research, I ended up buying the same six blade razor (it actually has a 7th blade for trimming) that Dollar Shave Club sells. Dorco Pace 6 Plus:

Dorco%20Pace%206%20Plus%20-%201.JPG

Dorco%20Pace%20Six%20Plus%20013112.jpg

And I normally don't rave over razors but this razor is the real deal...probably one of the closest and most comfortable shaves I've ever had. Dorco has become more popular recently due to Dollar Shave Club....and their razors are about half the price of a comparable Gillette. Just about every review I read about the razor raved about so I decided to give it a try.

The razor is smooth as silk while shaving and has left my face as soft as a baby's bussom. :lol:

As of now, I think the only place you can buy them is online....I got mine through Amazon....but I think they're slightly less expensive to buy directly from their website. http://www.dorcousa.com/

The razor itself is only around $6 and comes with 2 - 6+1 blades. The refills are very reasonable as well. From the reviews I've read, apparently the blades also last an extremely long time...anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks per blade, depending how much you shave, etc.

If anyone's looking for a new razor system, I highly recommend giving this Dorco a shot....even if you don't end up liking it, it'll only cost you $6.00