The shaving thread

spunko12345

I'll stick with my Norelco. I don't have a thick beard and I don't feel like paying a monthly razor allowance.

Yeah, I hear you, I've been using an electric for the better part of the last 10 years...maybe more...I just read about this razor and figured I'd give it a whirl. I ordered 2 sets of blades by mistake...spent like $40+....but now I have something like 25 blades....probably last me close to two years...lol...

Edited by Kasanova King

How do you people bother with this shit? 10 mins to shave? Fuck that shit son.

Once you get used to it - and that's even exaggerating the difficulty - it doesn't have to take any longer than 3 to 5 minutes. Which is the time you'd take with any other shaving method.

It's really overhyped in terms of complication.

3 to 5 mins if you're only doing a single pass maybe. I do a double pass, and I take about 10-12 mins from the time I get out of the shower to the time I'm rinsing my face after two passes. I go for the third pass on special occasions only. Still worth the extra time though.

You do realise that if you use a DE you can buy a pack of 100 blades for 10 quid and it will last you four years?

Never used one...other than the barber using it on me. I'm usually in a rush in the mornings and I could just imagine the damage I would to my face...especially still half asleep...lol....

I many try it though, possibly when my blades run out....as of now though, I'm really happy with the Dorco.

Guest Len B'stard

Yes, I use yours as my wank-lube..i rub the open bottle-top all up and down the length of my todger. Hows that shaving rash then? :D

You do realise that if you use a DE you can buy a pack of 100 blades for 10 quid and it will last you four years?

Never used one...other than the barber using it on me. I'm usually in a rush in the mornings and I could just imagine the damage I would to my face...especially still half asleep...lol....

I many try it though, possibly when my blades run out....as of now though, I'm really happy with the Dorco.

It is called a safety razor for a reason. I have the most unsteady hand ever and I have knicked myself a lot less than a cartridge razor. Those cartridge razors by the way really fuck up your skin. I had a permanent red mark on my neck because of years of those multiple blades pulling and hacking. Within a month of switching to a DE, it was completely gone.

It is called a safety razor for a reason. I have the most unsteady hand ever and I have knicked myself a lot less than a cartridge razor. Those cartridge razors by the way really fuck up your skin. I had a permanent red mark on my neck because of years of those multiple blades pulling and hacking. Within a month of switching to a DE, it was completely gone.

I remember my grandfather and uncle using them when I was younger. I'm not against them...I might try them out eventually.

Not sure which razor cartridge you were using but the Dorco is nothing like that....absolutely no pull or hacking...I mean zero...none at all....I haven't had any cuts....and they have an aloe strip that helps as well. The blades are extremely sharp and typically will get a close and clean shave with just one pass. I've used cheaper razors in the past and yes, I've had similar results as you describe....but like I said, the Dorco is nothing like that....it's in a league of its own, imo.

I usually think of products in general like a "meh" mentality....unless something really stands out and grabs my attention...and this razor has... :shrugs: I actually enjoy shaving now for the first time in years... :thumbsup:

I imagine you are doing proper prep. A shave with a cartridge razor can actually be quite good with the correct prep.

I actually have some Dorco DE blades which I got with my starter pack. I am saving them until last as I have heard nothing but negative reviews!

I imagine you are doing proper prep. A shave with a cartridge razor can actually be quite good with the correct prep.

I actually have some Dorco DE blades which I got with my starter pack. I am saving them until last as I have heard nothing but negative reviews!

I'm actually specifically just talking about the 6 blade razor that also has a 7th blade as a trimmer. I can't speak for any other Dorco blades as I haven't used them. I used the trimmer blade last evening on my sideburns and it worked great.

As for prep, I typically wash my face and put on shave gel...wasn't thrilled about the shave gel I was using so I just ordered this Noxzema cream, medicated with Aloe and Lanolin, which apparently has good reviews online:

Noxzema-Medicated-Shave-with-Aloe-And-La

What do you use/recommend as far as prep goes?

Let me get back to you on that as I am currently experimenting with different brands myself. This was my first cream and the shaves were excellent and it left my skin smelling great - nothing better than using this with boiling water on a brush. Highly recomend it (although I do not have much to compare it with).

groomed_shavecream.jpg

http://www.groomed.uk.com/shavecream.php

I do know I prefer lather over gel. When that above tub finished, I switched to a gel (Bulldog) that I got with a Christmas gift set and I cannot seem to be able to get away with it. Maybe I was using it wrong but It seems to take all the fun out of proper shaving, making a real lather etc. I had just learnt this stuff and now I do not need it! So I have a new cream arriving tommorow and I will see how that compares. Palm olive or something, it is made out of.

• Like 1

Shit, do I have to post about the benefit of a good shaving regime again?

For a start throw out your gillette blades and gel/foam. Absolute crap.

I'll put up some good advice later. Double Edge wet shave or Cut throat is where its at gentlemen.

• Like 1

I prefer a lather by far but I would rather use a good quality gel than the cans of squirty foam which you buy in the supermarkets and are full of chemicals. I even still hold onto my excel handle (just in case I am in a hurry), but, I am in 99.9% agreement.

Let me get back to you on that as I am currently experimenting with different brands myself. This was my first cream and the shaves were excellent and it left my skin smelling great - nothing better than using this with boiling water on a brush. Highly recomend it (although I do not have much to compare it with).

groomed_shavecream.jpg

http://www.groomed.uk.com/shavecream.php

I do know I prefer lather over gel. When that above tub finished, I switched to a gel (Bulldog) that I got with a Christmas gift set and I cannot seem to be able to get away with it. Maybe I was using it wrong but It seems to take all the fun out of proper shaving, making a real lather etc. I had just learnt this stuff and now I do not need it! So I have a new cream arriving tommorow and I will see how that compares. Palm olive or something, it is made out of.

While I was reading some reviews of razors, some of the reviewers were swearing by soap/water and regular skin cream as prep....one of them was a medical doctor. I've used soap/water before when I was out of cream or gel...wasn't a fan of it...not enough lather/protection and I would usually nick myself....never tried regular skin cream though. Have you (or anyone else) tried regular skin cream as prep?

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_1863.jpg

Have grown accustom to this but am going to try this

034591.jpg?v=2

Just for trying it's sake... It was in a can and by the same manufacturer.

If I do grow my facial hair, I like to shave off the hair along the edges my mouth, 'neatly cut out my lips' so they pop out.

Edited by Snake-Pit