Mike420's band- Foxy and the Hounds

So anyone that knows me, has probably heard me mention my band a time or two. Well we have finally decided to release some music. We are taking then next month and a half off from gigging to work on our album (we currently have 10 songs in varies stages of completion). Well while we are in the studio we decided to release a 3 song single 1 original and 2 covers, all of which are live recordings from various shows. Well I have been curious to hear feedback from some of my gnr brothers. I know you all are a tuff crowd, as you should be. I know the rule, if you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen, right. ;)

BTW I'm the lead guitar player

Edit~

Ok so I have been quiet on the subject of my band lately, as is common place for bands, we went through some changes. We lost our original bass player, then we brought in a new one, she lasted about two months. Now I think we have finally found our new perminate bass player, third times the charm right. We have also renamed the band, we are now known as On The Rocks...

Here are a few more live performace songs, much better quality than the last ones I posted. We have still yet to get into the studio to do proper studio recordings, but for now these will do. I will have videos on youtube for these songs shortly. Please click on our reverbnation account give the first 2 or 3 a listen and give me some feedback.

http://www.reverbnation.com/ontherocks4mi?profile_view_source=profile_box

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Guest Len B'stard

Didja ever think about, for Tiger-lily, when the riff kicks in, to do it with really loud distorted wah-wah and bring everything else down real low so that way when the vocals and band kick in it'll be like, contrast y'know, like loud quiet loud, impactful? There's a dynamic to it that it feels like you guys are ignoring. Really like the sound of it, I like your vocalist too.

You sound fuckin' sick on guitar Michael :)

Didja ever think about, for Tiger-lily, when the riff kicks in, to do it with really loud distorted wah-wah and bring everything else down real low so that way when the vocals and band kick in it'll be like, contrast y'know, like loud quiet loud, impactful? There's a dynamic to it that it feels like you guys are ignoring. Really like the sound of it, I like your vocalist too.

You sound fuckin' sick on guitar Michael :)

I hear what you are saying.... You def gave me something to think about, I like that idea a lot actually, I may try it tonight at our gig. I actually have done exactly what you are saying for one of our covers, but your right, it would work here also. As a band we are looking to get away from covers. Fuck covers man, but you need to be able to play them.

Thanks both of you for the complements, if you have read any of my posts, than you should know what my influences are. But the thing about influences that a lot of people miss is, you can't be them. I can't be Slash, I can't be Page, I can't be Van Halen. But I can be the best motherfucker I can be, take the shit you learn and make it your own. But it takes a long time to figure that out, lots of practice, and just plain thinking about music. Why do you guys think I come here everday? Because I can talk about music with some cool as people from all over the world, it's all part of the analyzation process.

Edited by Mike420

That's pretty good. I wish I knew how to bend like that. Most of the time I miss the right pitch and it sounds like fucking shit :(

Practice, practice, practice.

Mike: this is some really cool stuff, love the bluesy-rock tone in that original, let us know when some proper studio recordings are available. Also, out of curiosity, what wah do you use?

That's pretty good. I wish I knew how to bend like that. Most of the time I miss the right pitch and it sounds like fucking shit :(

Practice, practice, practice.

Mike: this is some really cool stuff, love the bluesy-rock tone in that original, let us know when some proper studio recordings are available. Also, out of curiosity, what wah do you use?

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I use the basic vox wah. I will for sure update when we get some proper recordings, hopefully this month. Edited by Mike420

• 3 weeks later...

No not yet, I want to though. We have this same bar that we play as often as we want, we also have played a couple of other bars. But I'm trying to not fall into the same old traps, you know playing covers for money and what not. It burns you out imo. So I've only been booking gigs that are event type shows. We are actually getting ready to record our originals, but our bass player quit. So we have been trying a couple different people out, and if need be we are thinking of going forward as a 3 piece. We don't need a bass player to record, but when we start playing out a lot, I would prefer having 2 guitars and a bass. We are trying to get our music recorded and have everything tight for this summer, cause thats when we really want to do a lot of gigging. So that would be when I would like to hit up Lansing. But if you ever need a band for any reason, we are not too far away. I know Lansing has a good music scene.

Our next show is march 15th!!!

We are also thinking of changing the name of the band. We have lots of things up in the air at the moment, but luckily we have our main three members are lvery serious.

Edited by Mike420

Really enjoyed that a lot. I can see why you chose to go for a PJ Harvey cover too. Love your singer's voice and Polly Jean's always been a favourite. :)

Thanks man, Wish I could take the credit for the PJ Harvey covers (we actually do 2 of her songs) but that was our singers call. I actually never heard of her before we played that song. I've since done some homework, lol. If I do say so myself, we do a freaking sick version of Royals by LORDE. Pisses all over the original version. We have recorded all but 2 of our shows so far, so I have copies of it. But it takes a unanimous vote in order to release anything, and Liz (our singer) has always found problems with that one. But I think it's killer. But we don't want to to put out too many covers either, because we are not a cover band. We can just play the shit out of other people's music, lol. We also do a version of Gin & Juice (I sing) that the crowd always goes nuts for.

• 3 months later...

2 new live originals Media Minds and Let em' talk. Plus two new live covers Season of the Witch and Rockin' in the free world. Check em' out!!!

http://www.reverbnation.com/ontherocks4mi?profile_view_source=profile_box

For more info check us out on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/ontherocks4mi

Media Mind (original song)

Let em' talk (original song)

Season of the Witch (Donovan cover)

Rocking in the free world (Neil Young cover)

Edited by Mike420

yes, we are going to get some studio time soon. We just decided to let someone else do the producing. I have done all of our stuff to this point, but it would be nice to just concentrate on guitar. All of these were done on our machine, which is good, but it would take forever to do it in house. Especially with some of the rates we have been finding, $45 for one song, that's not too shabby.

Thanks for the feed back, I appreciate it.

Liz (singer) and I mostly. She writes the lyrics and melodies mostly, while I write most of the music.

is every song written different or do you come up with the music and she adds lyrics...or vice versa....or none of he above??

Every song is done a little differently. She has done 100% of our lyrics and melodies to this point. But as far as the music goes, sometime they are complete musically when I bring them to the band, sometimes I have 1 part then she comes up with another part, sometimes Liz brings a piece of music then I find a break or 2nd part for it. So it's all pretty organic really. Our drummer actually also brought a song to the band also (not one of the ones online). Our bass player (he is our 3rd one) really wants to get something in also, so we are all colaberating and coming up with things. But as of now, Liz is responsible for 100% lyrics and melodies, and probably 30% of our music. I am probably responsible for 60% of the music, and our drummer is the final 10%. But we all add our own individual parts.

Every song is done a little differently. She has done 100% of our lyrics and melodies to this point. But as far as the music goes, sometime they are complete musically when I bring them to the band, sometimes I have 1 part then she comes up with another part, sometimes Liz brings a piece of music then I find a break or 2nd part for it. So it's all pretty organic really. Our drummer actually also brought a song to the band also (not one of the ones online). Our bass player (he is our 3rd one) really wants to get something in also, so we are all colaberating and coming up with things. But as of now, Liz is responsible for 100% lyrics and melodies, and probably 30% of our music. I am probably responsible for 60% of the music, and our drummer is the final 10%. But we all add our own individual parts.

It's been decades since I've been in a band environment and recently I hooked up with someone who wanted to try some things out but I couldn't find the groove of how to collaborate again.

Have you ever tried your hand at lyrics?

I used to write most of the lyrics in some of my old bands, and I do feel like I write decent enough stuff, but it's nice to not worry about right now honestly. I am enjoying just concentrating on guitar, it nice lol. But as time passes I'm sure I'll write some things, perhaps even sing. I do sing a couple of covers live. She has been on a pretty good role right now, so I feel it's best just to stay out of the way. We have about 10 or so originals at the moment, so we are close to enough for an album. Thats the next step, record an album.

btw, i'm digging let em talk

thank you. That one is a little more indictive of who we are as a band. Media Minds we all like, but of the two, Let em talk is more of "our" sound if you know what I mean?

We have another original on there also, it's called Tigerlilly. That one was recorded with our old machine, so it's not as high of quality.

Edited by Mike420

btw, i'm digging let em talk

thank you. That one is a little more indictive of who we are as a band. Media Minds we all like, but of the two, Let em talk is more of "our" sound if you know what I mean?

We have another original on there also, it's called Tigerlilly. That one was recorded with our old machine, so it's not as high of quality.

i gotcha...i'm liking let em talk a lot

where is tigerlilly--on your youtube page?