Is Frank Ferrer the worst GNR drummer ever?

IRanOutOfIdeas

Is Frank Ferrer the worst GNR drummer ever?  

227 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Next up on IRanOutOfIdeas slightly controversial threads...Is Frank Ferrer the worst GNR drummer ever?

After being on this forum for a few months I've noticed that almost all of the drummers who have played in GNR tend to get a lot of hate for one reason or another. Like seriously, a lot of people dislike Matt Sorum. I think he's a pretty good drummer, even if his playing style changed the sound of the band. The only thing I dislike about him was his terrible choice of hair style in the 90's.

But me? I don't like Frank Ferrer at all. I do appreciate how he's actually a nice and very humble guy, but he's just not a good drummer.

Adler had the groove. Sorum had the power. Josh Freese can do just about anything (It's a shame he left GNR so early, but he was bound to go onto bigger and better things, look at his track record). Brain, aside from the terrible YCBM intros, took the best attributes of Adler and Sorum and rolled them into one.

And Thunderchucker? He's gelled with the band since he joined, but good God his playing is just so stale and dry. He reminds me of a watered-down Sorum. He can play all of the songs, but that's about it. In terms of his drumming style, I don't think he brings anything radical to the table that can define him as being an awesome drummer. He's merely competent.

It's a shame that Brain left the band (Although fatherhood is a perfectly valid reason for his departure). He was one of the most talented members of new GNR and I think their sound has suffered a huge blow since they downgraded. Hell, would Frank have even gotten the job if he hadn't played with Richard Fortus prior?

So yeah, as always, what do you think?

P.S. I swear to God if anyone says anything about Rob Gardner I'm gonna explode.

Edited by IRanOutOfIdeas

I prefer his drums on the title track of CD to Freese's and Brain's, and I also like his additions to Better. Think he's better live on some of the tracks than Brain, but Brain is overall my favourite GNR drummer. Love Steve, don't like Matt on most of the UYI stuff, think he's a much better drummer in VR and his other projects.

I'd put Sorum as my least favorite. He's a very able and competent drummer, but his playing with Guns N' Roses just lacked any kind of groove that Adler, Freese, Brain, or even Frank brought to the table.

Also, as Amir said, I have not problem with his playing in other projects. I just feel like it was an ill fit with Guns N' Roses, but I have nothing for respect for the guy. He learned a LOT of songs and played them without error on the Use Your Illusion tour

Edited by themadcaplaughs

I'd put Sorum as my least favorite. He's a very able and competent drummer, but his playing with Guns N' Roses just lacked any kind of groove that Adler, Freese, Brain, or even Frank brought to the table.

I don't even see how Frank has a groove that he brings to the table. He's just a shitty version of Matt.

I will admit that I know relatively little about drums, but from what I've just heard, I feel like Frank's playing has more "feel" to it. Listening to Matt on the records he played on and live performances, it just felt robotic to me. It didn't help that his drum sound on Use Your Illusion I and II is just awful (not his fault though). It was a little better on The Spaghetti Incident but not much. I will say, however, that I'd be most interested in an alternate history Guns N' Roses where Matt stayed on board for Chinese Democracy. Most of his playing on Use Your Illusion I and II was him playing to songs that Adler had already written parts for, so I'd really have loved to see how Matt brought his own stamp to newer material.

Edited by themadcaplaughs

I think Matt got better by the end of the UYI tours, I really like his drumming on Nightrain by '93:

Though obviously Steven is still the best drummer for the AFD songs.

Listen to the fills on Better from 1:08 to 1:25 and so on, that's good stuff from Frank.

I think when it comes down to it, Brain's a superior drummer.

But yeah good God there's a lot of hate for Sorum. This probably isn't a valid comparison, but that drum solo snippet from Frank at Osaka 2009 was some of the worst drumming I've heard from any GNR drummer. It's just so bad and all over the place. Any Sorum solo though from the UYI days, he fucking killed it.

No. Not my favorite, but not the worst. In my opinion (key word), Adler is the worst .

How did you come to this opinion?
Because it's mine! I don't think Adler is anything special. Just like someone that likes eggs, and one person hates it. Just my opinion.

No. Not my favorite, but not the worst. In my opinion (key word), Adler is the worst .

How did you come to this opinion?
Because it's mine! I don't think Adler is anything special. Just like someone that likes eggs, and one person hates it. Just my opinion.

I'm not trying to attack you or anything I'm just curious on your reasoning behind it.

Fair enough. Adler plays with no passion in my eyes. Just a normal person banging on some drums. And when you see someone like Brain, it's on a different level. Besides, brain looking passionate, he throws in his own twist in his playing. I know Steven can play, but he looks like a crack head who is lost.

• Like 1

What Frank brings to the table is literally what you would expect from any run-of-the-mill, nothing special, bar band drummer. He's literally about as basic as they come with no additional frills. And that's just the reality of it. I'm sure even he, if being honest, would admit that he was lucky to get the GNR gig and that is soley due to any other artist with even the slightest shred of self-respect declining the invitation.

Edited by The GIow Inc.
  • Like 1

What Frank brings to the table is literally what you would expect from any run-of-the-mill, nothing special, bar band drummer. He's literally about as basic as they come with no additional frills. And that's just the reality of it. I'm sure even he, if being honest, would admit that he was lucky to get the GNR gig and that is soley due to any other artist with even the slightest shred of self-respect declining the invitation.

This.

My problem with Frank is that he uses a click track (which may not be his call, I understand), and it sounds like he uses triggers for every drum head in his kit. Something about his kit sounds anemic. His snare drum doesn't have enough kick-ass to it. I like the way he plays some GnR songs, but others... not so much.

Adler and Brain will always be my favorites.

edit: fixed grammir

Edited by metaforcesaber
  • Like 1