Aerosmith

Snake-Pit

Dude, in my dreams.....

I love Dokken, but come on....

Please read my post mate as I stated Dokken had some cheesy ballads but if you based it on that one song the same could be said of Guns if you only considered November Rain or even SCOM yes? Dokken had a nice catalogue of hard rock songs so basing it on a couple of ballads is cherry picking....................

I like their whole catalogue, but I'm an 80's hard rock guy, so they're 3 80's albums are my favorites & Love in an Elevator & Dude Looks Like a Lady are my favorite songs. \m/ \m/

I happen to like those albums and songs as well but they really aren't hard rock are they? more like pop songs IMHO

it was sorta the hard rock of the day, no?

right in there with the hair metal stuff

and on the other side of the line were the heavier bands like slayer and anthrax

If you consider Bon Jovi hard rock then yes I agree those two Aerosmith songs are hard rock as they remind me of that bands songs..........but is Bon Jovi hardrock?...........Don't get me wrong I happen to like the 80's Aerosmith albums but don't know if I would call them hard rock at that point like they were in the 70's............ :shrugs:

sure, at the time Bon Jovi were hard rock...Slippery When Wet and New Jersey are hard rock albums...may not be your cup o' tea but at the time it was hard rock...hell they used to be on the cover of metal magazines every week!

and bands like Aerosmith and Kiss were most certainly more "classic rock" sounding in the 70's but they all sort of got with the times and went the hair metal route. Scorpions, Whitesnake, Van Halen...they all did it to an extent and they all remained hard rock but a different hard rock from the 70's for sure

JMO, if Bon Jovi was considered hard rock then that would be a sad commentary on the genre in that era................. :shrugs:

they most certainly were though

the most pop of the poppiest hair metal bands were all considered hard rock...dokken, fucking stryper for fuck sake, big hair and guitars and wham bam you were hard rock

there used to be a show on mtv called hard 30 where they'd play the top hard rock or metal videos of the day and the new bj vid or def lep vid would always be on

Guess I am comparing 80's Aerosmith with 70's Aerosmith.......to me their music from the 70's was hard rock no question but 80's music not so much IMHO................... :shrugs:

And being a fan of George Lynch era Dokken, and George Lynch in general, I would not classify their music as poppy for the most part.....they have their share of sappy ballads but George's stellar guitar work kept the majority of their music from being too soft..............certainly not like Bon Jovi's........IMHO

I find it very weird that you like Dokken because of the guitar playing, but not Jovi. Most Jovi haters I come across at least acknowledge that Richie Sambora is a sick guitarist. The opening riff to Wanted Dead or Alive is a staple at my local Guitar Center. And the riffs on In & Out of Love, Your Give Love a Bad Name, and Bad Medicine are pretty heavy.

I never said Ritchie was a bad guitar player only that I am not a fan of Bon Jovi's music as I find it too poppy for my taste especially the songs you mentioned...............and IMHO Ritchie is not in the same league as George Lynch as a player.......... :shrugs:

To be fair, they're two very different types of guitarist. And I guess I like a little pop in my rock. To each their own.

You read me wrong mate I am not busting your stones for liking Bon Jovi only offering my opinion that I don't see them as hard rock.....I have no issue with pop metal/ melodic rock as I am a big fan of Def Leppard's Pyromania and Hysteria albums which are melodic rock like Bon Jovi...IMHO ...............as you said everyone has their own tastes so too each his own............. :shrugs:

You read me wrong mate I am not busting your stones for liking Bon Jovi only offering my opinion that I don't see them as hard rock.....I have no issue with pop metal/ melodic rock as I am a big fan of Def Leppard's Pyromania and Hysteria albums which are melodic rock like Bon Jovi...IMHO ...............as you said everyone has their own tastes so too each his own............. :shrugs:

No worries bro, didn't think you were. I just don't get how people can like bands like Def Lep, Ratt, and 80's Aerosmith, but not Jovi. Just boggles my mind, because in the 80's all these guys sounded very very similar. I just think Jovi's gotten a bad rap over the years.

• Like 1

No worries bro, didn't think you were. I just don't get how people can like bands like Def Lep, Ratt, and 80's Aerosmith, but not Jovi. Just boggles my mind, because in the 80's all these guys sounded very very similar. I just think Jovi's gotten a bad rap over the years.

i dunno I don't think it is that unusual to not like all bands in the same genre and I don't agree Def Leppard and Bon Jovi are very similar...... :shrugs:....................I like some 80's hair or melodic metal bands, like Dokken, Cinderella, Def Leppard, etc., but am not a big fan of Poison and Motley Crue....I am a big fan of metal in general but really never got the attraction of Iron Maiden and really can't listen to almost all speed metal or Viking death metal that Bran loves........just because someone likes bands in a particular music genre does not automatically mean they have to like all the bands in that genre.

I find Bon Jovi to be too contrived for me...never liked the music and especially the lyrics..........does not mean he sucks just not my taste is all............. :shrugs:

Edited by classicrawker

• 2 years later...

The party couldn’t be stopped Monday night (Feb. 8), when Steven Tyler, A Thousand Horses, the Cadillac Three and Drake White joined together for an epic concert during the 2016 Country Radio Seminar in Nashville. The artists played well into the early hours of the morning at Big Machine Label Group’s show, kicking off Mardi Gras week with gusto. Tyler headlined the show with his band Loving Mary, rocking his newest country-soaked tunes “Red, White & You” and “Love Is Your Name,” along with some Aerosmith classics like “Walk this Way” and “Cryin’.” The artist also pulled out a cover of “Piece of My Heart.” His full solo project on Dot Records is slated to come out later this year.   

On 2/11/2016 at 6:14 PM, Funky.Monkey said:

The party couldn’t be stopped Monday night (Feb. 8), when Steven Tyler, A Thousand Horses, the Cadillac Three and Drake White joined together for an epic concert during the 2016 Country Radio Seminar in Nashville. The artists played well into the early hours of the morning at Big Machine Label Group’s show, kicking off Mardi Gras week with gusto. Tyler headlined the show with his band Loving Mary, rocking his newest country-soaked tunes “Red, White & You” and “Love Is Your Name,” along with some Aerosmith classics like “Walk this Way” and “Cryin’.” The artist also pulled out a cover of “Piece of My Heart.” His full solo project on Dot Records is slated to come out later this year.   

I was there and it was amazing!!