Aerosmith

Snake-Pit

Aerosmith...and the Rocks album in particular...is the reason Slash started playing guitar. In the article below (written by Slash) he says that album changed his life. So perhaps if there had never been an Aerosmith there would have never been a GnR...or at least it would have been a GnR w/o Slash on guitar. But I think I heard Slash say in interview that "Tangerine" by Zeppelin was the first song he learned to play.

http://www.guitarworld.com/record-changed-my-life-slash-discusses-aerosmiths-rocks

I like their whole catalogue, but I'm an 80's hard rock guy, so they're 3 80's albums are my favorites & Love in an Elevator & Dude Looks Like a Lady are my favorite songs. \m/ \m/

I happen to like those albums and songs as well but they really aren't hard rock are they? more like pop songs IMHO

Edited by classicrawker

I like their whole catalogue, but I'm an 80's hard rock guy, so they're 3 80's albums are my favorites & Love in an Elevator & Dude Looks Like a Lady are my favorite songs. \m/ \m/

I happen to like those albums and songs as well but they really aren't hard rock are they? more like pop songs IMHO

it was sorta the hard rock of the day, no?

right in there with the hair metal stuff

and on the other side of the line were the heavier bands like slayer and anthrax

and on the other side of the line were the heavier bands like slayer and anthrax

If you consider Bon Jovi hard rock then yes I agree those two Aerosmith songs are hard rock as they remind me of that bands songs..........but is Bon Jovi hardrock?...........Don't get me wrong I happen to like the 80's Aerosmith albums but don't know if I would call them hard rock at that point like they were in the 70's............ :shrugs:

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

If you consider Bon Jovi hard rock then yes I agree those two Aerosmith songs are hard rock as they remind me of that bands songs..........but is Bon Jovi hardrock?...........Don't get me wrong I happen to like the 80's Aerosmith albums but don't know if I would call them hard rock at that point like they were in the 70's............ :shrugs:

sure, at the time Bon Jovi were hard rock...Slippery When Wet and New Jersey are hard rock albums...may not be your cup o' tea but at the time it was hard rock...hell they used to be on the cover of metal magazines every week!

and bands like Aerosmith and Kiss were most certainly more "classic rock" sounding in the 70's but they all sort of got with the times and went the hair metal route. Scorpions, Whitesnake, Van Halen...they all did it to an extent and they all remained hard rock but a different hard rock from the 70's for sure

sure, at the time Bon Jovi were hard rock...Slippery When Wet and New Jersey are hard rock albums...may not be your cup o' tea but at the time it was hard rock...hell they used to be on the cover of metal magazines every week!

and bands like Aerosmith and Kiss were most certainly more "classic rock" sounding in the 70's but they all sort of got with the times and went the hair metal route. Scorpions, Whitesnake, Van Halen...they all did it to an extent and they all remained hard rock but a different hard rock from the 70's for sure

JMO, if Bon Jovi was considered hard rock then that would be a sad commentary on the genre in that era................. :shrugs:

Edited by classicrawker

JMO, if Bon Jovi was considered hard rock then that would be a sad commentary on the genre in that era................. :shrugs:

they most certainly were though

the most pop of the poppiest hair metal bands were all considered hard rock...dokken, fucking stryper for fuck sake, big hair and guitars and wham bam you were hard rock

there used to be a show on mtv called hard 30 where they'd play the top hard rock or metal videos of the day and the new bj vid or def lep vid would always be on

I think they're hard rock. I don't know how clearly defined these genre's are, but I've always thought that hard rock was just rock but with loader and more prominent drums, guitar riffs, vocals, and sometimes piano. I've also heard it argued that rock and pop are the same genre, and that any song following the verse chorus verse formula is a pop song.

Honestly though, I don't care what label is put on a song. If I like it, I like it. And if I love it, as far as I'm concerned, it fucking rocks. \m/

• Like 1

the most pop of the poppiest hair metal bands were all considered hard rock...dokken, fucking stryper for fuck sake, big hair and guitars and wham bam you were hard rock

there used to be a show on mtv called hard 30 where they'd play the top hard rock or metal videos of the day and the new bj vid or def lep vid would always be on

Guess I am comparing 80's Aerosmith with 70's Aerosmith.......to me their music from the 70's was hard rock no question but 80's music not so much IMHO................... :shrugs:

And being a fan of George Lynch era Dokken, and George Lynch in general, I would not classify their music as poppy for the most part.....they have their share of sappy ballads but George's stellar guitar work kept the majority of their music from being too soft..............certainly not like Bon Jovi's........IMHO

stuff like just got lucky...that would be comparable to bon jovi's in and out of love...hard rock? it was considered so then but now it seems extremely tame

sambora's no slouch on the guitar either....

but what i'm trying to say, and failing, is that they were all sort of lumped together...including gnr...although gnr fans HATE that but it was true at the time

and going back to dokken, for my money, lynch was the saving grace of the band...otherwise they're like loverboy

and not to argue, but if i had to pick 1 band of that era to call pop, dokken would be it...bon jovi and ratt right there with them

Edited by axl666axl666
  • Like 1

stuff like just got lucky...that would be comparable to bon jovi's in and out of love...hard rock? it was considered so then but now it seems extremely tame

sambora's no slouch on the guitar either....

this seems like i'm a bon jovi fan!!!

but what i'm trying to say, and failing, is that they were all sort of lumped together...including gnr...although gnr fans HATE that but it was true at the time

and going back to dokken, for my money, lynch was the saving grace of the band...otherwise they're like loverboy

and not to argue, but if i had to pick 1 band of that era to call pop, dokken would be it...bon jovi and ratt right there with them

We will have to agree to disagree as I think Dokken and Ratt have harder edge to them then Bon Jovi and I don't see Dokken as even being close to pop when Lynch was in the band........they have a few poppy songs but for the most part Lynch's guitar has some bite to it............. :shrugs: ...Ratt is closer to being poppy then Dokken was I think but music is subjective and there is no wrong or right in this case so too each his own............

And while I am not a fan of Bon Jovi's music I certainly don't hate them..........

I don't mind the Jover...some quality tunes over the years and he gets way more flak than he or the band deserve

Ratt sucks for the most part. Pearcy is one of the worst singers ever.

I always had a soft spot for Dokken. I liked that Don was going bald and wore hairpieces...

Didn't Lynch have the record at one time for being the fastest guitar player?

I never liked Lynch Mob though...he and Don were a good match. I saw them on That Metal Show last year and apparently they made up and were working on new material but I don't know if anything came of it

Guess I am comparing 80's Aerosmith with 70's Aerosmith.......to me their music from the 70's was hard rock no question but 80's music not so much IMHO................... :shrugs:

And being a fan of George Lynch era Dokken, and George Lynch in general, I would not classify their music as poppy for the most part.....they have their share of sappy ballads but George's stellar guitar work kept the majority of their music from being too soft..............certainly not like Bon Jovi's........IMHO

I find it very weird that you like Dokken because of the guitar playing, but not Jovi. Most Jovi haters I come across at least acknowledge that Richie Sambora is a sick guitarist. The opening riff to Wanted Dead or Alive is a staple at my local Guitar Center. And the riffs on In & Out of Love, Your Give Love a Bad Name, and Bad Medicine are pretty heavy.

Dude, in my dreams.....

I love Dokken, but come on....

Please read my post mate as I stated Dokken had some cheesy ballads but if you based it on that one song the same could be said of Guns if you only considered November Rain or even SCOM yes? Dokken had a nice catalogue of hard rock songs so basing it on a couple of ballads is cherry picking....................

I find it very weird that you like Dokken because of the guitar playing, but not Jovi. Most Jovi haters I come across at least acknowledge that Richie Sambora is a sick guitarist. The opening riff to Wanted Dead or Alive is a staple at my local Guitar Center. And the riffs on In & Out of Love, Your Give Love a Bad Name, and Bad Medicine are pretty heavy.

I never said Ritchie was a bad guitar player only that I am not a fan of Bon Jovi's music as I find it too poppy for my taste especially the songs you mentioned...............and IMHO Ritchie is not in the same league as George Lynch as a player.......... :shrugs:

Edited by classicrawker

I don't mind the Jover...some quality tunes over the years and he gets way more flak than he or the band deserve

I always had a soft spot for Dokken. I liked that Don was going bald and wore hairpieces...

I never liked Lynch Mob though...he and Don were a good match. I saw them on That Metal Show last year and apparently they made up and were working on new material but I don't know if anything came of it

See we just have different tastes as I happen to like Ratt, mainly because of Warren D's guitar playing, but really don't care for Bon Jovi........also really liked Lynch Mobs first couple of albums especially Wicked Sensation...........and I am not a fan of Don Dokken as I think he is too high drama so not defending him but he is not the only rocker to wear a rug as Diamond Dave Lee Roth wears one as does Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple fame.................... :lol:

See we just have different tastes as I happen to like Ratt, mainly because of Warren D's guitar playing, but really don't care for Bon Jovi........also really liked Lynch Mobs first couple of albums especially Wicked Sensation...........and I am not a fan of Don Dokken as I think he is too high drama so not defending him but he is not the only rocker to wear a rug as Diamond Dave Lee Roth wears one as does Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple fame.................... :lol:

the dude from Tuff has been wearing a wig since 1988!

I haven't seen Blackmore in ages but I do love his Blackmore's Night albums...they aren't for everybody though

and of course, Axl wears a wig ;)

and back to Ratt and DeMartini...seems all of those bands had killer guitar players..Vito Bratta of White Lion, Adrian Vandenberg, Vivian Campbell, Jake E Lee, Paul Gilbert, Richie Kotzen, et al

the dude from Tuff has been wearing a wig since 1988!

I haven't seen Blackmore in ages but I do love his Blackmore's Night albums...they aren't for everybody though

and of course, Axl wears a wig ;)

and back to Ratt and DeMartini...seems all of those bands had killer guitar players..Vito Bratta of White Lion, Adrian Vandenberg, Vivian Campbell, Jake E Lee, Paul Gilbert, Richie Kotzen, et al

Blackmore has been wearing a rug since the 80's...I read a book by their ex-tour Manager, who also worked with Rainbow, where he describes how Ritchie showed up when they got together to record Perfect Strangers with a full head of hair when he had been thinning for years....told another story where Ritchie egged one of his roadies to into fighting a guy in a bar and Ritchie's rug got pulled off in the melee.......he grabbed it and beat feet out of the bar...... :lol:

• Like 1

Honestly George Lynch would have been a good "hired gun" for Axl to have called. He is one of my favorite guitar players from the 80's. Actually prolly 5th behind:

1. EVH

2. Slash

3. Randy Rhoades

4. Prince

5. George Lynch

George could not stand taking orders from Don Dokken so can't see him working with Axl...................

Interesting article about George auditioning for Ozzy in the 80's.........also talks about not wanting to do other peoples music and be told what to do so he would never have worked in NuGuns............

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/george-lynch-talks-kxm-auditioning-for-ozzy-and-possibility-of-classic-dokken-reunion/

Also talks about playing with Doug Pinnick of Kings X which excites me as I love that band

A little taste of what they sound like together...very Kings X sounding......... can't wait for the album

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/kxm-featuring-korn-kings-x-ex-dokken-members-putting-final-touches-on-debut-album/

Back on topic if you love 70's Aerosmith you need to get a copy of their 1975 show from the Schaefer Music Fest which was broadcast on WNEW-FM...it is streaming on Wolfgang's Vault but you need a subscription now but can be found on bootleg.........one of the best Aerosmith live recordings of the 70's......

Ted Nugent opened for them that show right around the time he released his first solo album and was amazing as he played most of that first album and as it was before he got political......just stood there and played with no caveman act or political ranting's about guns

I was at that show and it was an amazing night of music under the stars in NYC Central Park on a beautiful August night...........

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1