The Mötley Crüe Thread

wfuckinga

Lots of you bash Mötley Crüe, and I have no idea why. They're, imo, one of the best rock n' roll bands ever. So here's an appreciation thread.

Nikki Sixx is a goddamn boss. Love him, and it's cool that he acknowledges his fans constantly and has shown support for Sixx Army, which is cool as hell. Made my day when he thanked me for the love. (His fiancee is hot btw). He's a great bass player and writer. Love him.

Tommy Lee-That man. One of the best rock drummers ever imo, and he knows how to make a drum solo not a boring piece of shit *cough*matt's uyi one*cough*. I mean, take a look at that 360° Drum Roller Coaster. That was badass.

Mick Mars-Criminally underrated guitarist. He gets up onstage with that horrible disease but still puts on a killer show and acts like the pain doesn't get to him. Mick's a great dude, and he always blows me away live.

Vince Neil-What can I say? This guy is the voice of the band. He gets the crowd pumped up and the interactions onstage are awesome. And he's got a great voice imo. Vinny man! Fuckin' love him.

I used to be into Motley, I've seen them 5 times since 2006. But, they deserve pretty much all the shit they get. Vince is contractually obligated to tour with Motley when Nikki says so and it's been clear for years that he'd rather be just about anywhere else. Tommy Lee is an outright cunt, fuck him. "Nobody got me here but me!". Get the fuck over yourself. And his electronic music is garbage.

Mick has more talent than the rest of them combined, I agree he's criminally underrated.

• Like 1

NB4 Bacardi and Lithium come and bash you.

I think they are one of those bands that most people today will say are overrated.......but they are actually extremely underrated in just how good they are.

Too Fast For Love is one of the greatest rock debut albums from my generation. It was rough, raw, catchy, moody all mixed in with Vince's unique voice. One of my favorite albums of all time.

Home Sweet Home, Shout, Looks that Kill to Girls, Girls, Girls, Wildside, Dr Feelgood, Kickstart My Heart and what I think is probably the best all around song - Don't Go Away Mad, Just Go Away.

I even like a lot of their newer stuff. There are some great songs on New Tattoo.

Even their album without Vince was a pretty strong album.

Edit:

I agree that they seem like twats in real life and that Vince can be totally awful live, but I don't really let that effect my view of a band's music.

Edited by Groghan

Motley Crue as a whole, I like. They have some songs I LOVE, Primal Scream for example. They have a lot of songs I hate or wouldn't mind if I'd never heard again, Sticky Sweet for example. These days I file Crue under "It is what it is". When I'm in the right mood, I can put on a great number of their tunes and rock the fuck out. Other times I just think "How in the hot fuck did this sell millions of records?".

The self-titled record with Corabi is wildly under rated either way.

• Like 1

On With The Show, Primal Scream, Kickstart, HSH, Feelgood, SOLA, Mutherfucker, Sex, TFFL, Red Hot, SATD '97, Hooligan's Holiday, Hell On High Heels, Don't Go Away Mad, SOS, all fuckin killer songs. Dr. Feelgood is one of the 89's best albums imo and TFFL is one of the best debut albums, ever. I put it up there with AFD. Fuck, I love Mötley Crüe.

I love the CRUE. When I was in 9th grade I wrote John Corabi a fan letter and he looked up my phone number and called me.I'm well aware the album wasn't considered successful but die-hard CRUEHEADS love it for the most part. I know I sure didn't put my phone number in that latter so he must have looked it up online somehow. This was in 1994. I wrote about the experience in Metal Edge magazine later that year. To me MC94 is an amazing album. Another great CRUE experience for me was in 1998 when they released GREATEST HITS. I "won" an MTV contest (meaning I got the right to go to MTV studios) and watch them be interviewed by Jesse Camp (lol) and perform a few songs. The last great CRUE tour that I saw was CARNIVAL OF SOULS. What a great setlist they had. I probably won't see them again til their actual farewell tour and I hope by then they can bring back a few songs like BITTER PILL or AFRAID.

You can see me in the front row of this MTV special from 1998. At the end of the taping we all jumped on stage. I used to have the whole special on VHS but I can't find it :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlJlhGfRbXU

Edited by xGNRxSTARx
  • Like 1

............................, Sex, ......... all fuckin killer songs.

Terrible, absolutely fucking terrible song. And it's equally terrible live.

I liked SOLA when it came out but it hasn't aged that well... The production just doesn't sound right. Not that I thought it had great production when it came out, I just didn't mind it as much. They should ditch James Micheal on any future releases (but I doubt they will).

TTFL, Shout at the Devil, S/T (with John Corabi) are all killer records, everything else is really hit and miss. And I think Dr Feelgood is massively overrated.

The song or the album?

The album was much more commercially successful than CD was - it reached number one, had songs make the billboard top 10 and 20 (not just the rock chart, but the overall chart), was nominated for Grammys and sold almost twice as many copies.

I'd put Go Away Mad, Kickstart and Dr. Feelgood up there with their best work. And I've always liked the hair metal power ballad and the albums delivers there.

They are hit and miss on all the albums. On every album they release (except Saints) I find 3-4 songs that I really like. Even Generation Swine and Tattoo have a couple songs that I've added to my Ipod.

Lithium..........sure, you are sort of correct. But that's not exactly an insult like you intended. Motley Crue has never claimed to be a serious band. They aren't trying to write epic genre changing songs like Axl attempts. Here is a quote about one of their albums:

". Allmusic reviewer gave the album a rating of four-and-a-half stars out of five and claims that Mötley Crüe "savored the joys of trashy, unapologetically decadent fun on Dr. Feelgood -- an album that made no pretense at being anything else.

They aren't trying to be U2. They are writing cheesy songs that are meant to be fun. Girls dressed in spandex with cleavage and big hair, everybody drinking beer and having a good time.

I'm not anywhere close to being as big of a fan of Crue as I am of Axl.

But Crue fans have to love the production from the band - especially those who also love GnR.

9 studio albums

2 live albums

9 compilation/greatest hits albums - many that contained new songs

3 box sets

9 video albums

Edited by Groghan
  • Like 1

Lithium..........sure, you are sort of correct. But that's not exactly an insult like you intended. Motley Crue has never claimed to be a serious band. They aren't trying to write epic genre changing songs like Axl attempts. Here is a quote about one of their albums:

". Allmusic reviewer gave the album a rating of four-and-a-half stars out of five and claims that Mötley Crüe "savored the joys of trashy, unapologetically decadent fun on Dr. Feelgood -- an album that made no pretense at being anything else.

They aren't trying to be U2. They are writing cheesy songs that are meant to be fun. Girls dressed in spandex with cleavage and big hair, everybody drinking beer and having a good time.

That's what I mean when I say I file them under "It is what it is". I mean it in a good way. There's not much more substance to a large portion of their catalog than there is with Poison, but as you said neither band is trying for more than that. They set out to do a certain type of music and they were very successful doing it.

Spent a million dollars on amphetamines
Crashed a lot of cars
Fucked all the stupid stars in hollywood
Because i could, because we could

So you loved to hate us in your private jets
Funny how you bitched and moaned
'cause you got fat and rich
And when i'm dead
All you'll put on my headstone is that

I'm so fake
I'm a dirty little bastard
Fake
I was always so plastered
Fake
So you say it's true
Fake
I'm a dirty little whore
Fake
I'm everything and more
Looks like i'm fake
Just like just like you

40 million records and going strong
Never won a grammy
Still won't play along in hollywood
Like we should
(chorus)

My diamond rings and cocaine binges
All strung out on your syringes
Sold my soul while you sold records
I have been your slave forever

What are you fat cats doing anyway?
Take our money and flush it down the drain

You're so fake
You're a dirty little bastard
Fake
You're always so plastered
Fake
So you say it's true
Looks like i'm a fake like you
Fake
You're a dirty little whore
Fake
You're always such a bore
Fake
So you say it's true
Looks like i'm a fake like you

They aren't even a good 'fun' band.

To you..........that's true. And that's OK. We all like different types of music.

But they've been around 30 years, have sold 80 million records, produced lots of hits, their tours always do well.........so millions of people disagree with you.

But like I said - music is all about personal preference and taste. Luckily there are thousands of bands out there, so we all have tons of options of music that we can enjoy. You don't like Motley Crue, who are some "fun" bands that you enjoy that you think we might like?

TTFL, Shout at the Devil, S/T (with John Corabi) are all killer records, everything else is really hit and miss. And I think Dr Feelgood is massively overrated.

The song or the album?

The album was much more commercially successful than CD was - it reached number one, had songs make the billboard top 10 and 20 (not just the rock chart, but the overall chart), was nominated for Grammys and sold almost twice as many copies.

I'd put Go Away Mad, Kickstart and Dr. Feelgood up there with their best work. And I've always liked the hair metal power ballad and the albums delivers there.

They are hit and miss on all the albums. On every album they release (except Saints) I find 3-4 songs that I really like. Even Generation Swine and Tattoo have a couple songs that I've added to my Ipod.

The album. I know it was their most commercially successful (I love how you threw in the little dig at CD too :rolleyes:) but I think other than about 3 songs it sucks. TFFL, SATD and MC94 are solid all the way through, IMO, but everything else is a couple good songs surrounded by 60-80% filler.

Opie didn't understand why people dislike Motley Crue, I gave him an explanation.

iOwKo.gif

The song or the album?

The album. I know it was their most commercially successful (I love how you threw in the little dig at CD too :rolleyes:) but I think other than about 3 songs it sucks. TFFL, SATD and MC94 are solid all the way through, IMO, but everything else is a couple good songs surrounded by 60-80% filler.

It wasn't a "dig" at CD.

You might not have seen my posts in the main section about this, but I've said 100 times that CD is my favorite rock album of the last decade and I think it stacks up against either Illusion.

I was just using the "numbers" as a reference point.

I Love CD.

Lithium. Nothing for me to "deal with" but cute little picture thing anyway.

It doesn't bother me if people don't like the music I like. I've never understood why people get angry or have to insult those who like different music than they do.

I was just pointing out the description you made of MC was actually pretty close to how the band and their fans would describe their music.

I was just listening to a podcast of a former musician and he said the problem with Axl Rose was that he started to take himself and his music too seriously. That's why MILLIONS of people like Motley Crue music. They don't take themselves too seriously.

Lithium. Nothing for me to "deal with" but cute little picture thing anyway.

It doesn't bother me if people don't like the music I like. I've never understood why people get angry or have to insult those who like different music than they do.

I was just pointing out the description you made of MC was actually pretty close to how the band and their fans would describe their music.

You can just cut it right now with that shit about insults and forum grudges if you want to continue this discussion. I have not insulted anyone in this thread, nor am I angry.

Really? Because the OP, who gives me the impression that he is a big fan of Motley Crue, did not say anything remotely similar to what I said about Motley Crue. In fact, he said that he thought they were one of the best rock bands in history, which is a preposterously unwarranted statement to make about a band that hold close to zero artistic merit.

Edited by Lithium
  • Like 1

Lithium, let's just agree to disagree on Mötley. I am a big fan, that won't change. You're not, that's ok with me. I hold no personal grudges with you not liking the same music I do. But I would like to try to keep this thread clean and free of insults and personal attacks.

Firstly, if you're afraid of people with different points of view than yourself, don't invite them to state them in the OP. Secondly, I haven't insulted or attacked anyone in this thread. People are so afraid of discussions in this section these days, it's all "let's respect each others opinions and hold hands" hippie bs now. I miss the days when people tore each others heads off in this section.