Guns N' Roses @ Vegas - May 21-June 7

I really don't know how people can possibly argue Axl's not just milking "gnr" solely just to maintain his lifestyle.

If this isn't the final nail in the coffin for those opposed, I don't know what will be.

What a shame.

Musicians make a living playing music, and that has increasingly been dependent on playing live shows over the years.

This is what they do for a living and how they make their living.

Ali

There's a difference between making a living off doing what you love, and doing things just for the income. Nu guns seems to fall into the latter.

How would any of us know one way or another whether or not they enjoy playing with GN'R?

Sure, what you're saying is possible. I just don't see anyone on this board is qualified to know one way or another.

Furthermore, why can't it be a case of enjoying what you're doing and also enjoying that it allows you to provide for yourself and your family?

Why does it have to be either or?

Regardless, this is no big deal. It's just a new model of playing shows in a way that may be more cost-effective. Artists/performers from other genres have done the same.

Ali

Edited by Ali

2014 is looking to be an active year for GNR. Which to me is great! We can finally quit having crazy meaningless discussions and start criticizing or applauding real performances.

The real question will still be when are we going to have new music? I'd like to think all this activity is moving the band towards a new record. As far as hearing new music I would bet it will take place in Vegas, the South America tour seems like more of the same or maybe an ending for this era of touring and the Vegas residency will be a fresh start. All we can do is hope it's a productive year!

Because it's obvious. Because most of the lot of them have openly stated they weren't even fans of GNR prior to joining, and yet, all they currently do is (mostly) make money off those songs. The nu material has been phased out to a bare minimum. How genuinely happy can they be with the current situation?

Bumblefoot is a pretty openly frustrated individual. And it's pretty apparent Axl doesn't really give a fuck anymore.

A lot of hoarded nu stuff is in the can and paid for. You really think they need THAT much more money to fund what's left to do when they've been touring consistently since 2009?

It's pretty obvious now that they're only touring to pay the bills and maintain. That's it. :shrugs:

• Like 1

Because it's obvious. Because most of the lot of them have openly stated they weren't even fans of GNR prior to joining, and yet, all they currently do is (mostly) make money off those songs. The nu material has been phased out to a bare minimum. How genuinely happy can they be with the current situation?

Bumblefoot is a pretty openly frustrated individual. And it's pretty apparent Axl doesn't really give a fuck anymore.

A lot of hoarded nu stuff is in the can and paid for. You really think they need THAT much more money to fund what's left to do when they've been touring consistently since 2009?

It's pretty obvious now that they're only touring to pay the bills and maintain. That's it. :shrugs:

I don't know how happy they are or aren't. I haven't asked them. They may want to have more new material out and still enjoy playing live together. It doesn't have to be one or the other. I don't see why the black and white view is necessarily the accurate one here.

I don't see why not being a big GN'R fan prior to joining the band would prohibit them from enjoying playing with this group of guys. Axl admittedly wasn't a big Replacements fan, but the length of Tommy's tenure in GN'R suggests that fact has no impact on enjoying having Tommy in the band now.

It's really not obvious at all, IMO. Possible? Sure. It's certainly possible. Certain or Obvious? None of us can really know that.

Ali

Yeah I'm sure they're ecstatic that their main purpose as a group is mainly playing songs of a band they weren't even fans of :rolleyes: . What musician would be happy having the central focus of their career being dedicated to playing songs they just feel "meh" about? That's totally different from hiring somebody from a different group you didn't like to play in your band. And it's certainly obvious Axl's not motivated when he's just clearly (effortlessly) going through the motions. And it's certainly obvious that Bumble is openly frustrated.

It's been clear to me personally that this "band" isn't striving to do anymore than just tour for money for a solid year now. But I can't fathom how anybody could have the expectation they'll ever do anything creative again at this point. :shrugs:

It's clear as day this all about keeping Axl's bank account balanced now. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by Bobbo

It will cost me several grand to go see a few Vegas shows. If they aren't playing any new material - I won't spend the money. If they are playing three new songs - I'll spend the money and go support the band. And by new songs, I mean songs actually created by THIS band. Not three Illusions songs or OMG and Silkworms.

If Axl and the current band are going to just play songs written by past band members - they aren't getting my money. But if this band is moving forward as their own unit, with their own material, then I'll support them financially.

It will cost me several grand to go see a few Vegas shows. If they aren't playing any new material - I won't spend the money. If they are playing three new songs - I'll spend the money and go support the band. And by new songs, I mean songs actually created by THIS band. Not three Illusions songs or OMG and Silkworms.

If Axl and the current band are going to just play songs written by past band members - they aren't getting my money. But if this band is moving forward as their own unit, with their own material, then I'll support them financially.

Well then looks like you won't be seeing this band in Las Vegas. Ron said they haven't done anything together

You don't want to hear the rest of the ChiDem sessions music? That to me is of more interest than music from this lineup, but fair enough. We still don't know for sure what this "new music" is, we'll have to wait until March at least to see.

• Like 1

You don't want to hear the rest of the ChiDem sessions music? That to me is of more interest than music from this lineup, but fair enough. We still don't know for sure what this "new music" is, we'll have to wait until March at least to see.

I mean three songs they haven't shared with us yet.

General, Atlas, Soulmonster, etc - that would be amazing and I will go.

But if it is OMG or Silkworms and a couple Illusions songs or new covers......no.

• Like 1

Why is NGOG all of a sudden going full volcano?

Come on man, you can't justify that diagnosis. :lol:

As I said to you before, I've just stopped investing myself in what I feel GNR 'should be'. They tour my favourite songs and Axl Rose is my all-time favourite singer; maybe they'll even release a record at some point. I've chosen to just be happy that GNR are consistently active. Every time they've had a show in my area, I've enjoyed myself. It is what it is.

me, I have no interest

Then log out of the forum? I'm sure there's plenty of other "interesting" bands you could be discussing.

volcano-ish, no? :lol:

I don't see why my point isn't reasonable. Obviously I've felt frustrations like the rest of the community. But I've never been anywhere near a point where I could declare that my interest in this band is gone. If that I were ever the case, I would stop posting and invest my time talking about a band that I'm actually interested in.

I guess, but I think jmapellan was more trying to make the point that he's (?) not interested in the same old bullshit residency with the same old bullshit songs and the same old lack of new original material. Can't blame him, can you? Maybe they'll surprise us and Axl will sound decent and they'll play new songs and they'll follow up with an original release. But if you were a betting man, what would you bet on?

I guess, but I think jmapellan was more trying to make the point that he's (?) not interested in the same old bullshit residency with the same old bullshit songs and the same old lack of new original material. Can't blame him, can you?

Maybe they'll surprise us and Axl will sound decent and they'll play new songs and they'll follow up with an original release. But if you were a betting man, what would you bet on?

As I said, if somebody is disenchanted to that extent they should find another band worth discussing.

Obviously I would never drop money on something like GNR. I hope from the deepest pits of my heart that they play new songs ASAP.

Wait, did you just say that you wouldn't spend money on this band?

Dude, you just asked me would I bet on something happening in relation to GNR. Keep up. :lol: