Jimmy Page post-Zeppelin

foghat43

Plant's range became incresingly unreliable in the later years of Zeppelin, by the time he went solo he had to completely rearrange the way he sang. Everything's lower and more mellow, he couldn't be the shrieking banshee that someone like Coverdale still was. I think that's what appealed to Jimmy about working with David, he probably missed having a singer that could pull off those high notes consistently. Plant went in a more mature direction and pulled off some decent stuff, although none of it really memorable aside from a single here and there like Tall Cool One, or Calling To You.

Oddly enough Jimmy plays on Tall Cool One, and elevated the other one(along with Porl Thompson) to new heights when they did it together.

Edited by moreblack

Unfortunately The Firm stuff has that 80's production that sort of smears it, same with stuff like Now and Zen by Plant.

But Coverdale/Page and Fate Of Nations by Plant are very fucking strong, saying they have never done anything close to good since Zeppelin is just pure fucking shite.

No Quarter Unledded and Walking Into Clarkesdale are incredible-the Plant and Page stuff was insanely good.

The whole "Zeppelin just ripped off old blues songs and never did anything original" schtick is such a load of bollocks too, get a fucking clue.

• Like 1

Jimmy can't seem to let go of the past while Plant has spent his post Zeppelin career trying to run from it............From what I have read Jimmy is very over sensitive to criticism of his music so I speculate he is afraid anything he releases will never live up to his work with Led Zeppelin..........pity as the man is so incredibly talented.................

Jimmy can't seem to let go of the past while Plant has spent his post Zeppelin career trying to run from it............From what I have read Jimmy is very over sensitive to criticism of his music so I speculate he is afraid anything he releases will never live up to his work with Led Zeppelin..........pity as the man is so incredibly talented.................

If you watch the faces of The Edge and Jack White in It Might Get Loud whenever Jimmy speaks, you can tell how much Jimmy's meant to generation after generation of players since he first came to the scene.

If you watch the faces of The Edge and Jack White in It Might Get Loud whenever Jimmy speaks, you can tell how much Jimmy's meant to generation after generation of players since he first came to the scene.

I got the feeling watching that doc, that Page and The Edge could care less about Jack White. At least in what was shown in the film, they were very dismissive towards him and seemed very non-interested in what he was saying, which I found to be much more enlightening than what Page and Edge were talking about

I got the feeling watching that doc, that Page and The Edge could care less about Jack White. At least in what was shown in the film, they were very dismissive towards him and seemed very non-interested in what he was saying, which I found to be much more enlightening than what Page and Edge were talking about

Interesting observation as other legends like Jeff Beck think Jack White is very talented.........

Edited by classicrawker

Interesting observation as other legends like Jeff Beck think Jack White is very talented.........

i'm sure they do too...it might just have been the way the movie was cut and presented but the scenes of the 3 of them together talking about their influences, it came across that White was wasting his breath

i'm sure they do too...it might just have been the way the movie was cut and presented but the scenes of the 3 of them together talking about their influences, it came across that White was wasting his breath

meh he was just the rookie in the room........rookies get no respect........... :lol:

I never once got that impression. If anything, it seemed to me that Page and White were not all that interested in what Edge had to say. I took that from the fact that Edge uses alot of effects in his playing, while Page and White are more traditional. The Edge does have his own unique sound, but as far as actual guitar ablilities, I'd say he is the least skilled of the three. And I felt both Page and White new that. Plus they both come from a blues background, but Edge does not.

• 8 months later...

Bumping because of the book tour appearances (he's STAMPING books, not signing them)

11/5/14 7:00 PM at Barnes & Noble - Union Square. New York, NY
11/11/14 7:00 PM at Barnes & Noble - Grove Drive. Los Angeles, CA.

http://store-locator.barnesandnoble.com/event/84526

"A Conversation with Jimmy Page" also happening. The LA event has Chris Cornell interviewing him and unfortunately had AMEX presales so it's going to be tough to jump on that one. They're on Stubhub starting at 250.

http://www.92y.org/Event/Jimmy-Page-in-Conversation.aspx

http://www.ticketmaster.com/an-evening-with-jimmy-page-in-los-angeles-california-11-12-2014/event/09004D369E044555

Jimmy has stayed in the game.. but i dont think the drive to replicate his successes in Zeppelin was something he was interested in going for. Still one of the most influential players ever to come down the line. Most serious guitarist will tell you that somewhere along the way they discovered Jimmy Page and it influenced their playing in one way or another.