NINE INCH NAILS Discussion Lounge // New EP: 'ADD VIOLENCE' AVAILABLE 7.21

Broskirose

On first listen, it's a damn solid effort and enough to whet my NIN appetite for the time being.

The best song on it is either She's Gone Away or The Idea of You. Weakest is probably Branches/Bones, but only because it ends just as it's really picking up.

Will give it more listens and develop a better opinion, but again, solid effort. Thank you, Trent.

Ironically She's Gone Away is my least favorite track. The rest are all solid efforts in my eyes, however. Love tracks 4/5 in particular. 

NOW GET THE FRAGILE LINK UP, TRENT!

Edit: btw, Trent said in an interview tonight that there's 2 "major releases" for NIN in 2017 and they're thinking of a tour.

Edited by Crazyman

Man, I'm really enjoying this EP. I was REALLY bored with Hesitation Marks because it really lacked a lot of dynamics and the grittier textures that make NIN interesting for me, and this delivers all of those things with a slightly new twist. Really hoping Trent's got more stuff in this vein coming soon-ish, because this has me back into NIN for the time being.

• Like 2

I'm ok with the fact Trent won't release things like TF anymore. If he one day decides to work with Keith Hillebrandt, Charlie Clouser or Danny Lohner I'd get really really excited. Atticus is great but the team that made TF was by far the best Trent ever assembled. There's been Fragile-esque moments here and there over the years but still nothing close to the 'The Great Below' atmospheres for example. Even Robin should get a call. Hopefully the next Ghosts series will feature one of these guys.

I'm dying to listen to the Fragile outtakes on Deviations. Hope it hits torrent sites soon.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

3. She's Gone Away (feat. Mariqueen Maandig)
4. The Idea of You (feat. Dave Grohl)
5. Burning Bright (Field on Fire) (feat. Dave Navarro)

I've always given Navarro a hard time. But from the alternative stuff with Janes, to Oh My God with Axl, to working with Trent, he's a pretty diverse guitarist.

4 hours ago, J Dog said:

I've always given Navarro a hard time. But from the alternative stuff with Janes, to Oh My God with Axl, to working with Trent, he's a pretty diverse guitarist.

i am always late to the party. the only song i ever knew was the one i posted below. but kudos to Trent for writing a song that Johnny Cash wanted to do. dang i should have bought this new stuff for my nephew :lol:

to anyone who hasn't seen or heard the J. Cash version i recommend watching/listening to it... he basically OWNS it IMO...

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

On ‎23‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:28 AM, maynard said:

I'm ok with the fact Trent won't release things like TF anymore. If he one day decides to work with Keith Hillebrandt, Charlie Clouser or Danny Lohner I'd get really really excited. Atticus is great but the team that made TF was by far the best Trent ever assembled. There's been Fragile-esque moments here and there over the years but still nothing close to the 'The Great Below' atmospheres for example. Even Robin should get a call. Hopefully the next Ghosts series will feature one of these guys.

Loved Clouser's work.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not NIN specifically (though they are the only two permanent members of the band now), but TR/AR's score of "Patriots Day" is now officially out.

Also they are scoring Ken Burn's Vietnam documentary that comes out in September. 

Edit: Trent also updated the description for NTAE: 

UNAPOLOGETIC, UNFRIENDLY, DENSE, LYRICALLY COMPLEX, SO-FAR-BEHIND-THE-TIMES-IT’S-AHEAD-OF-ITS-TIME, HIPSTER-REPELLING UNCOMPROMISING MUSIC SMART PEOPLE CAN FUCK TO. IT MAY NOT BE FOR YOU.

Edited by Crazyman
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

I thought the first EP was great but based off of the first song alone, this one already seems to be even better!

Yeah, I agree. Both EP's are much better than the last album anyway

18 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Yeah, I agree. Both EP's are much better than the last album anyway

Disagree.

Hesitations Marks is one of my favourite NIN album.

57 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

Just ignore my post... :max:

I meant it is a three part EP series! So there's another in the future!

• Like 1

I love(d) Hesitation Marks. Everything is still pretty bad, but everything else has aged well over the last few years to me and I still thoroughly enjoy the album. Copy Of A, Came Back Haunted, Disappointed, Satellite, I Would For You, In Two - all fantastic songs.

I liked Not The Actual Events, but it was quite different than what anyone was expecting I think, and it certainly takes a few listens. She's Gone Away and especially The Idea of You are great.

I listened to the new song, Less Than, three times in a row I liked it that much immediately.

And yes, there is another EP coming, probably before the end of the summer I'd guess. I've updated the OP with pictures and videos for the EPs, in addtion to Trent's descriptions of the two EPs so far.

24 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Disagree.

Hesitations Marks is one of my favourite NIN album.

I meant it is a three part EP series! So there's another in the future!

I prefer the sound from their early records. Pretty Hate Machine, The Downward Spiral, Fixed, Broken, The Fragile, And All That Could Have Been. That's the real essence of NIN. Hesitations Marks gives me nothing. 

• Like 1