NINE INCH NAILS Discussion Lounge // New EP: 'ADD VIOLENCE' AVAILABLE 7.21

Broskirose

Good interview.

Looking forward to the Fragile release whenever that may come out.

i wonder if some kind of record company issue is causing the delay, because trent has been talking about the reissue since 09, he said he got it all done remixing done back in 2011 so what is the real hold up lol

Good interview.

Looking forward to the Fragile release whenever that may come out.

i wonder if some kind of record company issue is causing the delay, because trent has been talking about the reissue since 09, he said he got it all done remixing done back in 2011 so what is the real hold up lol

I'd like to get my hands on the vinyl, I'm not willing to pay the ridiculous amount people are asking for the original.

From what I read on the Bonnaroo forum, the dates weren't canceled because of an appearance there. We'll see for sure tomorrow I guess but the people who were posting about it have reputations of being reliable on info for that festival.

I have a feeling NIN won't be at 'Roo.

I know for a fact Kanye won't be there, because I'm pretty sure he's still banned.

From what I read on the Bonnaroo forum, the dates weren't canceled because of an appearance there. We'll see for sure tomorrow I guess but the people who were posting about it have reputations of being reliable on info for that festival.

I know for a fact Kanye won't be there, because I'm pretty sure he's still banned.

I will put 10 Internet Dollars on Kanye being on the lineup.

I will put 10 Internet Dollars on Kanye being on the lineup.

I'll match that imaginary bet

• Like 1

Some are suspecting that they are making room for Bonnaroo festival. We'll see in a week, when the lineup is announced.

I suspect it may have something to do with the current political situation in Ukraine.

Some are suspecting that they are making room for Bonnaroo festival. We'll see in a week, when the lineup is announced.

I suspect it may have something to do with the current political situation in Ukraine.

But why cancel the Hungary date?

I'm just speculating - but perhaps to make it less obvious.

What would be wrong with making a point of no playing Ukraine? This way they're pissing off fans in more than one country. I hope that's not the reason, seems a bit silly.

What would be wrong with making a point of no playing Ukraine? This way they're pissing off fans in more than one country. I hope that's not the reason, seems a bit silly.

As you probably know - given your grasp on world affairs - the problems in Ukraine are largely caused by a pro-Moscow government. Maybe Trent is uncomfortable with playing in Ukraine and Russia, but understands the political consequences of making such a powerful statement.

As I said, it's just speculation. It may be a matter of Trent "feeling" the style of the festival in question, and wanting to be part of it at all costs.

Props to Broski, without whom I wouldn't have known about this show.

This was my first NIN show. I missed a chance to see them in a small club in December 1994 doing a "secret" show and I never forgave myself for it. So all these years and tours that went by, I never bothered, cause to me it wasn't worth it if I wasn't close enough to see Trent sweat.

And 20 years have passed and my teenage angst is long gone, but Trent's still out there making music and putting on killer shows. So I thought "Why the hell not?" 20 years too late, but I finally get to see them in a small club...and late is certainly better than never.

So I checked out the merch table on the way in but I can't buy shirts in Japan cause Japanese people are tiny and I'm huge. But they had a towel. Towels are popular in Japan. It had the NIN logo on top of the Japanese flag and it was like "Japan Tour 2014" and even though this was an hour before the first of three shows, the towel was sold out. Goddamnit. I wanted it, cause it was unique. And they'll have more tomorrow, but I'm not coming all the way back for a towel. I was pissed.

I went inside the venue. Nice and small. There were three levels. I looked back at the people that chose to view from the two balconies. Suckers. I'm gonna be so close Trent can spit on me.

Lights went out and there was a mad rush to the stage. I swatted people away like they were flies and I was about 6 feet from center stage, a few small Japanese people between me and the rail.

Allesandro opened. He came out and sat on the floor and played his synthesizer thing. His music is super ambient...basically, just tones....really dreamy. People were getting antsy...they wanted to move and react and get things started...but his music was not suited for that. It's good stuff. Listen to this:

It was that, for about 15 or 20 minutes. And the crowd was responsive, and I liked it....but it's NOT good in a live setting. This would be great to fall asleep to or listen to while reading or taking a bath, but not to get a crowd pumped for a concert.

But the great thing was that it only lasted about 15-20 minutes...right at the point where it would start to get really tedious, the other dudes quietly made their way onstage. Trent. Robin. Curly Joe. They joined Allesandro and the opener was "Me, I'm Not." A song I'm totally unfamiliar with. Made no difference...the crowd went apeshit anyway!! NIN was ontage!

The lights were BLINDING!! They didn't half-ass it on anything even though this was a club show....crazy light rig and smoke machines....I couldn't stop grinning. I was feet away from Trent Reznor and he was all back-lit by these blinding lights and he was hunched and grabbing his mic with two hands and I swear I felt lilke I was 16 again and it's 1994.

Next is Survivalism. Another one I don't know. Again I don't care...it's just too much fun to see and hear all of this and the crowd is yelling along and screaming so it's fun.

Then it was Terrible Lie and HOLY SHIT it was on now!! The whole place is jumping up and down and yelling along in broken shitty English....

March of the Pigs and now it's MY turn to go apeshit! Followed up by Piggy!! A double blast of Downward Spiral!!

Next was Sanctified....different from the album but no mistaking it....

Disappointed/Came Back Haunted/Find My Way.....all Hesitation Marks and the crowd was eating up, particularly Came Back Haunted.

Trent didn't address the audience much except to note that they started the 2013 tour in Japan and were happy to start this tour here as well, and it's the best place in the world to play....but every artist says that about every city, right?

And then I got to hear Reptile, and that was the highlight for me. Wow. It's a fucking dream come true!! Did you know he wrote that about my ex-girlfriend from high school? He did!

Next was Beside You In Time, and I didn't know this one, but I was like "Holy shit, this song is fucking awesome, and I'm looking it up as soon as I get home!" Just fucking amazing! Probably my favorite moment other than Reptile.

Next was Copy of A, which was the song that inspired me to go cause it's so good. Unfortunately, two assholes decided to crowdsurf during this song and kicked me in the head. But that just shows how polite Japanese crowds usually are...only two crowdsurfing assholes the whole show!

All Time Low. Crowd liked it.

Gave Up. Crowd LOVED it! The Hand That Feeds....crowd sang every word. Only. (I don't even remember this song.)

Then he played Wish and I lost my shit.....damn that was amazing!!! And Head Like a Hole....I know it's an old song...dated. Whatever. I loved the shit out of it.

The stage is dark for a minute and they came back and ended it with Hurt. Trent was awesome. Curly Joe's drums when he comes in at the end were also awesome.

I'll say this about Trent....dude has "it." Not many frontmen do. A lot of bands, it's just some asshole in front of a microphone and they think that makes them a rock star. The real deal is rare though. Axl has (had) it. Eddie Vedder. Trent definitely has it. That place was captivated by his every breath. I was so close and he STARES right into the crowd and it felt like he was staring RIGHT through me. Crazy.

I had so much fucking fun. My inner 16 year old is finally satisfied. And as the crowd thinned, I noticed something at my feet. A dirty white towel. Someone had dropped their sold out NIN towel, the one I was denied earlier. Well, I'm only a little ashamed to say I snatched it up and pocketed it. Someone's out $15 and I still ended up with the stupid towel I wanted....gonna have to wash the hell out of it though!

• Like 2