Hip-Hop in 2014 Thread

Estranged Reality

I tried browsing the last five pages or so of the forum and didn't see anything, but I thought it'd be cool to start a "What are you listening to"-type thread specifically for NEW hip-hop. There's so much new stuff always coming out and obviously not everyone on here likes rap music, so it may be nice to have a separate thread to post cool new tracks.

Playing this right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBpz_iqVn8M

It's...dope. :awesomeface:

• Like 1

Kendrick Lamar is unquestionably the best of the new school. It's been a long time since a veritable rap classic had been released, and good kid m.a.a.d. City is one.

Eminem's latest album to me was fantastic, particularly with the deluxe edition tracks. His rapping on a technical level got even better after he got sober. Way what you will about the content and the accents on relapse but it was a rhyming tour de force. Recovery was an necessary evil of a foray into pop to gain his popular credibility so the masterpiece of a rap song "rap god" could gain recognition. His technical rhyming with the use of assonance, alliteration, slant rhymes, multi syllabic mosaic rhyming, and use of meter would make even Noam Chomsky blush at his rainman-like grasp of linguistics.

Drake is a decent rapper who puts out good songs.

Jay-Z is something like the slash of rap. He's been putting out albums solely about how cool he is for about a decade now to great success. He hardly forays into new territories without the influence of Kanye but he remains relevant and has some of the best beat selections in the game.

Kanye's album Yeezus, personally I believe is one of those misunderstood masterpieces and years later people will look back and say "I get it now," sort of similar to how the sound of 808's and heartbreaks, while at the time critically panned, has influenced hip hop for the past five years. Unfortunately what burdens Yeezus is what has burdened the man himself for years. For every brilliant lyric, there are three or four cringe worthy puns. The song "blood on the leaves" captures the essence of not necessarily bad Kanye, but unfortunate Kanye. With the brilliant sample of "strange fruit," he had an opportunity to make a poignant song about the state of race. Even his use of auto tune was well chosen on the track and fit well. However he made it about some bitch at the club he thought he had something with but it wasn't what he thought it was. A missed opportunity for a man who does not believe in bad ideas. Normally they stick, but sometimes they miss the mark.

That's all I got for the moment.

Young Fathers is an alternative hip hop group based in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Good stuff!

Young Fathers is an alternative hip hop group based in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Good stuff!

Kendrick Lamar is unquestionably the best of the new school. It's been a long time since a veritable rap classic had been released, and good kid m.a.a.d. City is one.

Eminem's latest album to me was fantastic, particularly with the deluxe edition tracks. His rapping on a technical level got even better after he got sober. Way what you will about the content and the accents on relapse but it was a rhyming tour de force. Recovery was an necessary evil of a foray into pop to gain his popular credibility so the masterpiece of a rap song "rap god" could gain recognition. His technical rhyming with the use of assonance, alliteration, slant rhymes, multi syllabic mosaic rhyming, and use of meter would make even Noam Chomsky blush at his rainman-like grasp of linguistics.

Drake is a decent rapper who puts out good songs.

Jay-Z is something like the slash of rap. He's been putting out albums solely about how cool he is for about a decade now to great success. He hardly forays into new territories without the influence of Kanye but he remains relevant and has some of the best beat selections in the game.

Kanye's album Yeezus, personally I believe is one of those misunderstood masterpieces and years later people will look back and say "I get it now," sort of similar to how the sound of 808's and heartbreaks, while at the time critically panned, has influenced hip hop for the past five years. Unfortunately what burdens Yeezus is what has burdened the man himself for years. For every brilliant lyric, there are three or four cringe worthy puns. The song "blood on the leaves" captures the essence of not necessarily bad Kanye, but unfortunate Kanye. With the brilliant sample of "strange fruit," he had an opportunity to make a poignant song about the state of race. Even his use of auto tune was well chosen on the track and fit well. However he made it about some bitch at the club he thought he had something with but it wasn't what he thought it was. A missed opportunity for a man who does not believe in bad ideas. Normally they stick, but sometimes they miss the mark.

That's all I got for the moment.

Yeezus was my favourite rap album of 2013, if that's what you want to call it.

But I was hoping this thread could be more of a "what are you listening to right now?" type thing where you can post specific tracks. Do you have any specific tracks from those records you'd share?

max volume

Haha I really don't think I can get into Keef, but he's funny.

Guest Len B'stard

One thing i love about this site is being an old out of touch fuck i can slide through threads like this and see what the fuck people are listening to these days :)

One thing i love about this site is being an old out of touch fuck i can slide through threads like this and see what the fuck people are listening to these days :)

i think you could appreciate Yeezus, lenny.

One of the last things Lou Reed did before he passed away was write a big essay on how important a record it was.

It's not QUITE as deliberately non-musical and alienating, but in some ways it's kind of the Metal Machine Music of modern rap music. He just doesn't give a fuck on it and I love almost every second of it.

Guest Len B'stard

One of the last things Lou Reed did before he passed away was write a big essay on how important a record it was.

It's not QUITE as deliberately non-musical and alienating, but in some ways it's kind of the Metal Machine Music of modern rap music. He just doesn't give a fuck on it and I love almost every second of it.

Christ, Lou Reed, really? Might have to have a listen :)

Christ, Lou Reed, really? Might have to have a listen :)

http://thetalkhouse.com/reviews/view/lou-reed

Great quote: He obviously can hear that all styles are the same, somewhere deep in their heart, there's a connection. It's all the same shit, it's all music — that's what makes him great. If you like sound, listen to what he's giving you. Majestic and inspiring

Listen to 'On Sight' and that's the future of rap.

That Future song ER posted is pretty good. Slow start to 2014.

I wasn't too familiar with Future but based off the strengths of that track I'm primed for his debut album.

I know Rick Ross has a new record coming out soon too, some people hate him but he cracks me up with his over-the-top persona.

Action Bronson had a new mixtape a couple months ago called Blue Chips 2 which is really great, btw.

That Future song ER posted is pretty good. Slow start to 2014.

I wasn't too familiar with Future but based off the strengths of that track I'm primed for his debut album.

I know Rick Ross has a new record coming out soon too, some people hate him but he cracks me up with his over-the-top persona.

Action Bronson had a new mixtape a couple months ago called Blue Chips 2 which is really great, btw.

I saw people talking about Future over at atease a couple days ago, so I've just started to check him out. Promising.

I think there should be some good hip-hop this year. It just hasn't happened yet. I'm about to check out Blue Chips 2, though.

One thing about Yeezus is that from a rap standpoint it sucks, technically. It represents his creativity rather than how great he is at rapping.

I saw that Rick Ross was mentioned, his upcoming album is said to be really really good. I'm looking forward to it, he never really disappoints me.

I'm probably seeing Schoolboy Q live for $25 in Philly next month. Should be a fun time, I saw him back at Made in America with the rest of TDE.

Edited by Jakey Styley

One thing about Yeezus is that from a rap standpoint it sucks, technically. It represents his creativity rather than how great he is at rapping.

I saw that Rick Ross was mentioned, his upcoming album is said to be really really good. I'm looking forward to it, he never really disappoints me.

I'm probably seeing Schoolboy Q live for $25 in Philly next month. Should be a fun time, I saw him back at Made in America with the rest of TDE.

That's why I can't get into Kanye. I don't like his voice and I don't like his flow. I just don't think he's a very good mc. I like a lot of his beats though, he's much better behind the boards than behind the mic.

I hope that Schoolboy Q is good.

Big Boi has been doing a lot of these remixes lately. Word is he's gearing up for new Outkast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cH_TUTDdYR4

• Like 1

I enjoy Drake and MGK. I'm sure they are too mainstream for the underground hip-hop heads we have here though.

You realize most of us gush about Kanye and Eminem, right? We're hardly nose in the air hip-hop snobs. Although I will shake my head at bacardi liking that Chief Keef song. :lol:

I like a fair bit of Drake's stuff. Gets a bit monotonous for me at times. Never listened to MGK.