Hip-Hop in 2014 Thread

Estranged Reality

I was living in a rough part of Brooklyn when Thank Me Later came out, like projects style buildings, so it's like this big square where windows on one side of your apartment face the street and the windows on the other face the courtyard where you can see all the other apartments. People used to just blast their music and it would echo throughout the courtyard. Thank Me Later was playing non fucking stop. I got tired of it quickly, but I'll always have an affection for the album because of that time and place in my life.

Guest Len B'stard

One thing i love about this site is being an old out of touch fuck i can slide through threads like this and see what the fuck people are listening to these days :)

i think you could appreciate Yeezus, lenny.

One of the last things Lou Reed did before he passed away was write a big essay on how important a record it was.

It's not QUITE as deliberately non-musical and alienating, but in some ways it's kind of the Metal Machine Music of modern rap music. He just doesn't give a fuck on it and I love almost every second of it.

Been listening to it this morning, it's pretty okay :) Is hip hop going through its prog era or what? :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Shit!!!

*sound of a coin dropping*

I been patiently waitin' Fif, don't let me down! :D

• Like 1

Meanwhile, Free thinks the long-awaited debut from Black Hippy - the supergroup featuring Lamar, Q, Rock and Ab-Soul - is likely to appear in 2014; Tiffith indicates that TDE is planning to release a new Lamar album this coming September, too

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/the-juice/5922946/top-dawg-entertainment-cover-story-kendrick-lamar-schoolboy-q-anthony-tiffith?page=0%2C1

Umm...fuck yea!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Len B'stard

Been listening to this guy Action Bronson, really like him but apart from that, most contemporary rap I'm hearing, to be honest, i don't think much of it. I'm sorry to say but after a few listens of Kanye he's pretty fuckin' dreadful. Horrible, production heavy, almost shrill sounding, terrible. Heard an interview with him the other day, fuck me, he sounds like...a fuckin' substitute teacher or something, he's got such a nasal white picket fence, freshly manicured lawn voice.

Is there any street rap anymore? And Rick Ross, a copper rapping, a fucking copper in hip hop?!?! What the fuck! An actual real live rapping nark...and people buy these peoples albums?

Edited by sugaraylen

Been listening to this guy Action Bronson, really like him but apart from that, most contemporary rap I'm hearing, to be honest, i don't think much of it. I'm sorry to say but after a few listens of Kanye he's pretty fuckin' dreadful. Horrible, production heavy, almost shrill sounding, terrible. Heard an interview with him the other day, fuck me, he sounds like...a fuckin' substitute teacher or something, he's got such a nasal white picket fence, freshly manicured lawn voice.

Is there any street rap anymore? And Rick Ross, a copper rapping, a fucking copper in hip hop?!?! What the fuck! An actual real live rapping nark...and people buy these peoples albums?

:lol:

i like action bronson. i disagree about kanye though.

and c'mon, there's been fake rap for years. rick ross is basically just a character, but i dig the music he makes (usually). isn't anything wrong with off-the-streets rap (kendrick lamar, btw? you heard much of him yet?) but rap's had its goofballs forever.